Football 19/20

thetime

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

You haven't thrived very well, took you 16 years to BOUNCE back. 🤪

And the fans stayed regardless of whatever league we were in. 

We were also one of the last teams to be relegated before the parachute payment scheme came in to prevent the same happening to other teams. We got shafted financially but we survived and now we're back :D 

16 minutes ago, thetime said:

Strange how people see it differently. 

Been to watch Birmingham countless times down the years  and never seen any trouble in or outside the ground. Not even in the city, police on every corner certainly helps though.

Birmingham played at the Etihad and it qas some anniversary of their headhunters firm. By the looks of them, I am sure they had dug some of them up.

It went right off on Ashton New Rd. Only time I have seen a full on brawl between fans, at the Etihad.

2 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Leeds and Liverpool are getting unfair exposure right now. They are both hugely supported clubs without a major league win for a long time the last time Liverpool won the title was actually the same year that Leeds won the old division two promotion and fans were going to gather regardless of any plans put in place or not. Any other team who secured a title this month would also have had a similar situation with their fans, you can't just say it's because of those particular sets of fans.

In the case of Leeds we already had two large spontaneous gatherings when firstly we won promotion and a couple of days later when we confirmed the title, these parties were uncontrolled and resulted in a lot of mess in the city.

A large section of fans were always going to gather as close to the ground as possible for the final game. In order to give the fans some closure and to signal the end of the celebrations the team came out after the presentation and stood on top of bus, the crowd cheered and then dispersed shortly after. There was nowhere near the same level of carnage that had been seen in the previous week. The vast majority of the fans stayed away and most who were at Elland Road behaved themselves

To say they are getting unfair exposure suggests other clubs fans would not be condemned if they had acted in the same way, I believe this is not true. Not winning the league for years is no excuse. I support a club who have only won a league title once in their history. If we had won the league this season I'm staying home, it's another sacrifice for the greater good and I would criticise other fans who do the opposite.

What I have seen from Liverpool (not followed Leeds as close) is mild criticism from the club and fans with people unwilling to go against their own tribe. Loads of excuses about other fans would act the same, people congregating on beaches etc, but little action that would shame people into not acting this way. It reminds me of my daughter spoilt best friend and watching her mum tell her off in the mildest way possible, knowing she has ticked the box, but not expecting behaviour to change.

When politicians preach about distancing a large proportion of the audience didn't vote for them. Clubs have more influence over canvases who all support them. What we needed was liverpool (and I assume Leeds) putting managers and players on tv/social media strongly criticising any fans not following advice. It wouldn't have stopped everyone, I think it would have stoppef some.

43 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

To say they are getting unfair exposure suggests other clubs fans would not be condemned if they had acted in the same way, I believe this is not true. Not winning the league for years is no excuse. I support a club who have only won a league title once in their history. If we had won the league this season I'm staying home, it's another sacrifice for the greater good and I would criticise other fans who do the opposite.

What I have seen from Liverpool (not followed Leeds as close) is mild criticism from the club and fans with people unwilling to go against their own tribe. Loads of excuses about other fans would act the same, people congregating on beaches etc, but little action that would shame people into not acting this way. It reminds me of my daughter spoilt best friend and watching her mum tell her off in the mildest way possible, knowing she has ticked the box, but not expecting behaviour to change.

When politicians preach about distancing a large proportion of the audience didn't vote for them. Clubs have more influence over canvases who all support them. What we needed was liverpool (and I assume Leeds) putting managers and players on tv/social media strongly criticising any fans not following advice. It wouldn't have stopped everyone, I think it would have stoppef some.

You can't accuse me of criticising and ridiculing Liverpool fans.

2 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

It wouldn't have stopped everyone, I think it would have stoppef some.

There was plenty of social media asking fans not to go, the vast majority of fans did stay away. There was only a tiny proportion of Leeds fans at the ground the other day. 

37 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

There was plenty of social media asking fans not to go, the vast majority of fans did stay away. There was only a tiny proportion of Leeds fans at the ground the other day. 

Asking nicely for people to stay at home won't work. You need the clubs being clear that these selfish people could kill or seriously injure people through their actions. Then those who don't listen need to be strongly condemned. This strong messages needs to come from both the clubs and fans. 

What we have at present is a softly softly approach with both clubs and fans reluctant to go after their own.

Interestingly spirit of Shankly asked the mayor to retract his statement when he raised concerns about Liverpool fans congregating. I wonder if they will issue an apology.

16 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Screenshot_20200723-200742_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1a9c1cb33d4382e9a7935b60dd4296fa.jpg

I will leave this here.

Please explain to me why and how you have fans kicking off with each other outside your ground, after winning the title, in the middle of a global pandemic and after your club pleading with them not to turn up?

Nice to see Liverpool have recovered from the economic effects of  Covid-19. From furloughing staff, to spending one million on fireworks for an event no fans were able to attend. That is some recovery. The Donald will be on the phone to Boston, asking for advice.

https://twitter.com/MickHudo/status/1286394089706008576?s=20

Also here is a picture showing normal people celebrating a title win. Maybe I am being a little harsh. Maybe kicking shit out of each other and getting arrested at a congregation where the fans have ignored  the advice of their club, the police and anyone else with half a brain, while attending in the middle of a global pandemic, is really just Liverpool fans proving that this means more.

Twitter-Palomo_ESPN-Manchester-City-champion.-The-....png

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I will leave this here.

Please explain to me why and how you have fans kicking off with each other outside your ground, after winning the title, in the middle of a global pandemic and after your club pleading with them not to turn up?

Nice to see Liverpool have recovered from the economic effects of  Covid-19. From furloughing staff, to spending one million on fireworks for an event no fans were able to attend. That is some recovery. The Donald will be on the phone to Boston, asking for advice.

Liverpool spent £40,000 on the trophy show, in part to make it more worthwhile for fans to watch it on TV. Plus football has started again so they're getting income again.

10 minutes ago, Dan R said:

Liverpool spent £40,000 on the trophy show, in part to make it more worthwhile for fans to watch it on TV. Plus football has started again so they're getting income again.

it takes a special lack of self-awareness for a City fan to have a crack at another team about money. 

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

Remember the absolute scenes when City fans decended on the Etihad after clinching the 2019 title? Always ahead of the curve, practicing social distancing before everyone else started doing it.

Manchester is blue

On 7/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, st dan said:

I imagine a lot of managers want to shout that to him. He’s a very irritating guy (if he’s not your manager). 

In other news, Birmingham retiring Jude Bellingham’s number 22 shirt is one of the most embarrassing things i think I’ve ever seen a football club do - turning 17 a couple of weeks ago and has only played one season for the first team. Ridiculous. 

Quick point on Bellingham...

Retiring his shirt is obviously ridiculous, but the way he has behaved around this transfer is fantastic. He could have left at 16 and Birmingham would have been entitled to nothing, instead he waited to turn 17, sign a professional deal and net his club a huge transfer fee.

That’s why they’ve done it. His actions have saved them from being in deep shit financially.

Edited by Hugh Jass