Airbed, Roll Mat, Self Inflating Mat, Camp Bed and so on

JoeyT

2 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

Does anyone have recommendations for a lightweight, compact camp bed? 

I'm travelling by train/coach so needs to be light enough for a small person to carry!

Unfortunately, my recommendation is that the ultra lightweight ones all have some flaws.

Specifically, all the ones I've seen have plastic joints which start to crack (and so the bed starts to collapse) after a few uses especially if you're using them on slanted or uneven ground (ie in Glastonbury fields) as the weight/pressure isn't spread evenly.

I find that the all-metal bog standard "25 quid from Argos / Blacks / everywhere else" type is about as light as you can get without hitting that problem, and is actually pretty comfortable - my only issue with it is that they're a shade narrow for my taste which may be a problem depending on how you sleep. You can get the same style from various manufacturers and shops, and all the ones I've seen are broadly the same - they all come in at about the same price, all come in at about 58 to 60cm wide, and all come in at about 3 to 3.5kg.

You can also get a wider and heavier duty versions of the above style - so they come in at 77cm wide and about 4.5kg. Though I appreciate that may not be idea for public transport.

• Upvote 1

I've one of these: -

Eurohike Utah 4 Leg Campbed | GO Outdoors

Folds down small in it's own bag with shoulder strap, easy to put up and take down and surprisingly comfy.  Had mine for years and it's still fine.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

I've one of these: -

Eurohike Utah 4 Leg Campbed | GO Outdoors

Folds down small in it's own bag with shoulder strap, easy to put up and take down and surprisingly comfy.  Had mine for years and it's still fine.

Saw them a few days ago in go outdoors. Look ideal for a festival, lightweight and compact. maybe with a self inflating on top for extra comfort. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Saw them a few days ago in go outdoors. Look ideal for a festival, lightweight and compact. maybe with a self inflating on top for extra comfort. 

Honestly, it doesn't need the mat, it's very comfy as it is and as you're off the ground it stays warmer with just a sleeping bag.

37 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just picked one of those beds up on the millets site, they are doing 2 for £30 offer with a camping chair.

Just a wee note on these beds if its cold they get so incredibly cold as there is a lot of space underneath it. I usually cram my bag etc under there to help a bit.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I have a blow up Klymit mat & sleeping bag, both should be fine for putting on top! 

Last year was hard going, so I'm after something that can give me a more comfy (& restorative!) night.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

I have a blow up Klymit mat & sleeping bag, both should be fine for putting on top! 

Last year was hard going, so I'm after something that can give me a more comfy (& restorative!) night.

That’s why we added a self inflate mat.  And our own pillow from home! 

• Like 1