Airbed, Roll Mat, Self Inflating Mat, Camp Bed and so on

JoeyT

I've previously taken duvets and sleeping bags. Duvets can be a bit hot but find them better than a sleeping bag because it just feels nicer and you're not trapped in (unless you unzip the sleeping bag all the way to be like a blanket) but this year I bought one of these coverless duvets in a summer tog. They have discounts on too!

Like the idea of not having to take my own duvet and change sheets before/after glasto and it being so much lighter and smaller to carry. Feels super soft and is definitely big enough for 2 to get under if one person has a tendency to steal the duvet. Hoping this is a winner! 

Bought one of these yesterday:

Berghaus Double Self Inflating Mat | GO Outdoors

WAY more than I planned on spending but the inflated demo one in Go Outdoors was super comfy.  Then another random customer walked past and said "Buy it.  Best thing I ever got for camping."  Sold to the man with four asses.

2 hours ago, 4AssedMonkey said:

WAY more than I planned on spending but the inflated demo one in Go Outdoors was super comfy.  Then another random customer walked past and said "Buy it.  Best thing I ever got for camping."  Sold to the man with four asses.

Do ypu know the depth of it?

finally decided between shit/get off the pot and despite my misgivings about buying a replacement when ive got an already decent thing, i'm binning off the inflatable mattress and going with the Trespass 7.5cm depth self-inflating mat for £35.

i do like a fairly hard bed and the standard inflatable mattress is always a bit too giving and spongy. Im hoping this is the boy! gonna lay an open sleeping bag on it, and bring a duvet as well - im oxfamming from sat 18th onwards so i do want to get some decent sleep, seeing as i'll be there for so long. . . 

18 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

finally decided between shit/get off the pot and despite my misgivings about buying a replacement when ive got an already decent thing, i'm binning off the inflatable mattress and going with the Trespass 7.5cm depth self-inflating mat for £35.

i do like a fairly hard bed and the standard inflatable mattress is always a bit too giving and spongy. Im hoping this is the boy! gonna lay an open sleeping bag on it, and bring a duvet as well - im oxfamming from sat 18th onwards so i do want to get some decent sleep, seeing as i'll be there for so long. . . 

Let us know how you get on with it! Still debating here...

1 minute ago, ilovelanegan said:

Ive been debating it meself for pretty much the last three months 😄 i pulled out the old inflatable last week and pumped her up to leave her in the front room for a couple of days, to see how she got on - its very comfy for five mins but it just doesnt support, and i'm a side sleeper. Its a few years old though, i've had a good innings out of it.

As soon as this self-inflating one comes i'm gonna pop it up and give it a nap test and i'll report in full. I've only heard good things from people going from inflatable to self-inflating, so we shall see!  Anyone with dissenting voices about self-inflaters, please put them in here 

3 hours ago, ilovelanegan said:

I'm edging towards the Trail one, from the the two you posted. Travelling in campers this year but future use, it looks lighter to carry to me, compared with the other one. Also the additional 2.5cm should help, not completely sold just yet but the clock is ticking.

8 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Ive been debating it meself for pretty much the last three months 😄 i pulled out the old inflatable last week and pumped her up to leave her in the front room for a couple of days, to see how she got on - its very comfy for five mins but it just doesnt support, and i'm a side sleeper. Its a few years old though, i've had a good innings out of it.

As soon as this self-inflating one comes i'm gonna pop it up and give it a nap test and i'll report in full. I've only heard good things from people going from inflatable to self-inflating, so we shall see!  Anyone with dissenting voices about self-inflaters, please put them in here 

Just ordered the same although got 20% discount just for joining their mailing list. I too am earlies with oxfam so gonna be sleeping on it for 9 nights, I do have a thermarest  but it's ancient and only about 3cm thick

19 hours ago, Wurzelcat said:

Just ordered the same although got 20% discount just for joining their mailing list. I too am earlies with oxfam so gonna be sleeping on it for 9 nights, I do have a thermarest  but it's ancient and only about 3cm thick

Make that three of us, couldn't delay the decision any longer - went with the masses 😁

Gotta be half decent with the original price, we shall see

On 6/8/2022 at 11:31 AM, 4AssedMonkey said:

I've just bought one too! Hope I can get it on the coach lol

On 6/8/2022 at 6:57 PM, mufcok said:

I'm edging towards the Trail one, from the the two you posted. Travelling in campers this year but future use, it looks lighter to carry to me, compared with the other one. Also the additional 2.5cm should help, not completely sold just yet but the clock is ticking.

We have owned 2 of the Trail inflatable Matt's. They were comfy. Unfortunately both developed a hole/split in the seam making repair impossible.

We now own a silentnight version. It was more expensive but is into its 3rd yr.

2 minutes ago, Adam75 said:

We have owned 2 of the Trail inflatable Matt's. They were comfy. Unfortunately both developed a hole/split in the seam making repair impossible.

We now own a silentnight version. It was more expensive but is into its 3rd yr.

Yeah, I can see how the material could split looking at them. Went with the Trespass one in the end, hopefully it's half decent! Cheers for sharing

I’m currently lying on the trespass self-inflating mat, which came today - it’s rolled out and has been given a blow, and I tell you what it’s pretty bloody comfy. I’m quite a long person (6ft 2) so my feet dangle off the end a bit, I’ll need some sleeping socks of some form, but lying front/back/side it’s all very comfortable and there’s no doubt at all I can sleep on this. Just about to roll it back up and strap it all back together, which seems pretty straightforward. Recommended! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m currently lying on the trespass self-inflating mat, which came today - it’s rolled out and has been given a blow, and I tell you what it’s pretty bloody comfy. I’m quite a long person (6ft 2) so my feet dangle off the end a bit, I’ll need some sleeping socks of some form, but lying front/back/side it’s all very comfortable and there’s no doubt at all I can sleep on this. Just about to roll it back up and strap it all back together, which seems pretty straightforward. Recommended! 

Great news, mine is arriving Monday.

Real daft question incoming - assume you just undo the valve again to deflate it?

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Great news, mine is arriving Monday.

Real daft question incoming - assume you just undo the valve again to deflate it?

Yep, open it and give it ten mins to inflate itself, then give it a few toots to plump it up and close it - then when rolling it up, open the valve and you can strap it quite easily to fit back in the little carry sack. It does feel like it’s a decent quality, it’s not a cheap throwaway kind of feel. I’m quite impressed for £32 delivered. I’ll be camping for nine nights so sleep comfort is pretty damn important to me, and I can tell it’s already a much better level of comfort than a standard inflatable mattress . . . 

• Upvote 1

On 6/11/2022 at 1:47 PM, balti-pie said:

Good stuff- you've convinced me to push the button!

• Upvote 1

Picked up a new sleeping bag from decathlon for £35, very light and compact mid-range one, seems warm from a test run visiting friends. Rubbish roll mat from tesco and then a pillow (most essential part!). All nestled inside a fresh n black - obviously 🙂

On 6/11/2022 at 3:25 PM, Ed90 said:

So, I've invested in a Vango Comfort 10cm single...its just arrived and even though I'd read the measurements, it's ludicrously big packed. Convince me I shouldn't send it back and it'll be the best £80 I've ever spent. 

The better you sleep, the more fun you can get up to while you’re awake. Kipping on the floor in a shitty sleeping bag on top of a yoga mat is fine when you’re 17, but the more experienced you get (😉) the more you should look at making your sleeping experience as good as poss. Carrying it in might be a ballache, but each morning as you wake up from a decent kip, you’ll be thanking yourself . . .