Hopkins or Chemicals?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Hopkins or Chemicals?

• Save them all for the Chemical Brotherss
    • Use them all at Jon Hopkins
    • Half and half
    • Other

1 hour ago, DJL said:

Any recommendations for decent build quality rainbow glasses? This won't be my last disco (at least I certainly hope) and I want to re-use for reasons posted

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

@Quark has bought a robust pair.

You rang?

I got mine from the rave cave online, they've got limited edition diffraction glasses from a tenner upwards. There's no accounting for me being clumsy, but they should last

You've all given me something to think about, as much as I'd like to reply with some sulky response, it is a particularly tasteless year to do this. I'd been looking forward to it since before Attenborough reminded us all about the plastic damage and didn't stop to think about the ecological impact.

Hurumph, bloody morals...

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I have purchased 50 mini glowsticks and 60 pairs of rainbow shades for deployment at electronica gigs.  My original plan was to get my arse on the mixing desk and distribute them all during the Chemical Brothers, but unless there is a change in the schedule, I'm going to be turning up to the Other Stage 15 minutes after they start, so won't be quite as in the thick of it.

So, enter plan B - Jon Hopkins. Although I don't expect his show to be as visually spectacular, it should still be fairly psychedelic and Clashfinder tells me I'll be able to get a good spot.

So what should I do? Save them all for the Chems, despite not being in the thick of it, blow the lot on Friday, or split my stash of crowd giveaways between them?

Please don’t bring them- it’s a nice idea but awful for the environment and not great for the land and really not in keeping with the ethos of the farm. The litter pickers will thank you and so will the cows! 

• Upvote 1

Well he's already bought them, I would say leave the glowsticks and bring the shades. I would be more inclined to keep the shades as a momento but sticks would go straight in the bin. 

Wonder what Mr Eavis did with the ones that @fatyeti24 gave him a few years ago. 

its a tough one ... and as ive signed my worthy warrior pledge I would echo the sentiments of @sedra above .... ive previously purchased them but now in view of this thread have listened and won't be bringing any ... sometimes just need to think a bit differently than what we have been used to .... I did post earlier about bringing them all to the chems but in politician style I have decided to backtrack 

I’ve had to make the move from handing out 100 plastic inflatable flamingos to flamingo temporary tattoo transfers. It’s a tricky world we live in but we seem to be moving in the right direction of change.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Well he's already bought them, I would say leave the glowsticks and bring the shades. I would be more inclined to keep the shades as a momento but sticks would go straight in the bin. 

This seems like a good compromise, especially given that they've already been purchased (I'd keep the shades as a momento too). I've held back from posting about the eco impact before because it is really generous and in the Glasto spirit ❤. The thought is there so you should enjoy the positive impact/reception they will no doubt receive and just learn from it for next time. To paraphrase (badly): saving the planet isnt about one person doing everything perfectly, it's about all of us doing a range of things imperfectly. X

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You've all given me something to think about, as much as I'd like to reply with some sulky response, it is a particularly tasteless year to do this. I'd been looking forward to it since before Attenborough reminded us all about the plastic damage and didn't stop to think about the ecological impact.

Hurumph, bloody morals...

Hats off, well said. I’m rethinking too. Like others, I’ve already purchased them though (glow sticks). Don’t know what to do now ?

Hand them out bit by bit to people who'll love them - you've seen them wandering around - make their day. Then at least they'll have been loved rather than left unused.

Kept me so amused for my unable-to-dance boomtown that I've brought things every year since. You can make people happy, break up arguments, identify undercovers who just don't know how to party and laugh yourself silly when you get an amazing response.

We gave a pair of hologram specs to one girl and she had such a good time she fell right over - boyfriend gave them back to us pretty abruptly though.

The plastic thing does stop me wanting to do more glowsticks, but hey they're bought now so at least let them give some joy.

39 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

nice thought stu ... but single use plastics!

Neil - over the weekend I was looking at the efestivals store for flags, but I was only seeing the site branded merchandise...I'm sure I've bought flags*/pole from you in the past but they aren't there now - is this a plastics thing, a flagpole thing or something else?

*for the caravan, not the Pyramid!

Edited by BluePaul

1 minute ago, BluePaul said:

Neil - over the weekend I was looking at the efestivals store for flags, but I was only seeing the site branded merchandise...I'm sure I've bought flags*/pole from you in the past but they aren't there now - is this a plastics thing, a flagpole thing or something else?

*for the caravan, not the Pyramid!

that was probably from the store which was run for efestivals by Funky Leisure. That came to an end as they changed what they do a little.