Ticket refund

David756

3 minutes ago, LeeHC said:

Yet you are bothered enough to comment on said downvote? I disagreed with your point about touts- yet as you'd stated you weren't going to get into a debate about it so commenting directly to you seemed pointless. Expressing disagreement with the downvote seemed the most proportionate response...

And I disagree with you but I just don't think I'd bother downvoting somebody I disagreed with. Just seems a bit silly, but like I say it's hardly going to affect my life.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

Erm... me too, I've been going a long time too. I also remember the year it didn't sell out.

Good - then you know exactly why the photos on tickets system was introduced, and you know that allowing resale of tickets quickly turns into people being screwed over in very large numbers. In which case I really don't understand your point here.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Good - then you know exactly why the photos on tickets system was introduced, and you know that allowing resale of tickets quickly turns into people being screwed over in very large numbers.

No, I disagree. What exactly do you mean by "screwed over"?

Do you mean "buying a ticket for a festival at a price they're prepared to pay for it"?

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Re-read your posts, you're massively contradicting yourselves.

I don't think I have.

To summarise - touts are bad, low ticket price is good, demand is high, more could be charged.

58 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Doesn't bother me really. Not going to get into a massive debate about it but touts lose money when they set prices higher than the market will pay. If GFL are pricing their tickets lower than the market will pay and still selling out easily every year then they should put the price up and give the extra money to Oxfam/Water which would make it unprofitable for the touts. They won't though becuase they love the fact that they can tell everybody that they sell out in under 15 minutes every year.

I don’t think GFL’s model is based on being able to “tell everybody that they sell out in under 15 minutes every year”, nor are they a commercially driven company trying to price tickets at market rate in order to make a profit. The ticket price is set at a level which covers the cost of putting on the festival, salaries for the GFL team and repairing the farm(s) after the fact, and then any profits remaining after final accounts are settled each year is divided amongst the charities. Part of the reason that a lot of us love the festival is because the motivation behind GFL putting it on is not a selfish one - they genuinely love hosting the festival and all the profits go to charity rather than into the organisers pockets. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, bombfrog said:

Do you mean "buying a ticket for a festival at a price they're prepared to pay for it"?

At the cost of others who can't afford to pay that much.

Just now, bombfrog said:

Yes. If you can't see that as being screwed over, then we're going to fundamentally disagree.

In the process, you're going to price out a lot of others, and massively narrow the demographics attending the festival when if anything it needs widening.

5 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

The ticket price is set at a level which covers the cost of putting on the festival, salaries for the GFL team and repairing the farm(s) after the fact, and then any profits remaining after final accounts are settled each year is divided amongst the charities.

So, if they charged a bit more then the touts wouldn't be able to make a profit so the convoluted ticket system wouldn't be required and there would be more money to give to the charities, or to make the festival better and help ensure it has a bright future.

Of course, the people on here are never going to say that the ticket price should ever be put up, but I do wish they would admit that it's for purely selfish reasons.

Edited by bombfrog

47 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Like I said, not going to get into a debate about it. I'm aware that some people on here have strong opinions about it, but I'm also aware that this forum is a bit of a bubble and when I talk to people in real life they don't necessarily agree.

Oh, and I agree about the downvotes, I wouldn't bother if I disagreed with somebody's viewpoint either. I've lost an imaginary internet point from @LeeHC but luckily my life will not be greatly impacted :D

You're right that it can be a bubble, as experienced recently on a subject I agreed with you on and in that case I think the outside world has a very different opinion to this board. However, I really don't think that's the case on this one. I haven't come across many, if any, people who believe this taking supply and demand to the extreme model is the right thing to do for Glastonbury. I actually reckon it'd still sell out at up to triple the price, pricing out thousands and extremely negatively affecting the whole festival. Very bad idea.

The ticket price is already £250, anybody who thinks there aren't already plenty of people ho don't go because they can't afford it is deluding themselves.

Maybe they should drop the ticket price back to £100 so that everybody can afford it. Of course, the festival and the acts booked would be much worse, obviously, but at least everybody on this thread would be happy :D

2 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I actually reckon it'd still sell out at up to triple the price, pricing out thousands and extremely negatively affecting the whole festival. Very bad idea.

See, I just don't agree. All it takes is a shit weather year and a hip-hop headliner and suddenly it doesn't sell out.

Just now, bombfrog said:

So, if they charged a bit more then the touts wouldn't be able to make a profit and there would be more money to give to the charities, or to make the festival better and help ensure it has a bright future.

Of course, the people on here are never going to say that the ticket price should ever be put up, but I do wish they would admit that it's for purely selfish reasons.

Of course it’s for selfish reasons - if they charged more for tickets then many of us (myself included) wouldn’t be able to afford to go! 

GFL keep the price as low as they can for a reason - they want to ensure that the demographic attending the festival is as wide as possible and that it’s not just limited to the wealthy. If they put the price up even by £100 it probably would still sell out but the festival would start to lose that eclecticness that we all love about it.

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

The ticket price is already £250, anybody who thinks there aren't already plenty of people ho don't go because they can't afford it is deluding themselves.

Maybe they should drop the ticket price back to £100 so that everybody can afford it. Of course, the festival and the acts booked would be much worse, obviously, but at least everybody on this thread would be happy :D

So might as well go the whole hog triple the price, genuis

Just now, bombfrog said:

See, I just don't agree. All it takes is a shit weather year and a hip-hop headliner and suddenly it doesn't sell out.

What do you mean? Shit weather one year and it wouldn't sell out the next? That has demonstrably not happened. And even in a scenario if nobody liked a hip-hop (or any other) headliner, it would do nothing to affect the ticket sales for the following year in any significant manner. Glastonbury is nowhere near being remotely vulnerable to not selling out. 

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

What do you mean? Shit weather one year and it wouldn't sell out the next? That has demonstrably not happened. And even in a scenario if nobody liked a hip-hop (or any other) headliner, it would do nothing to affect the ticket sales for the following year in any significant manner. Glastonbury is nowhere near being remotely vulnerable to not selling out. 

Jay-Z year followed a horrible mud year. They had to start selling tickets in HMV. There were still some left the day before the festival.

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

So, if they charged a bit more then the touts wouldn't be able to make a profit so the convoluted ticket system wouldn't be required and there would be more money to give to the charities, or to make the festival better and help ensure it has a bright future.

It depends what you mean by selfish?  I don't want the price to go up because you'd end up with a weird festival crowd.

I don't mean to sounds ballsy, but I'd pay double the price without it affecting me so that's not the reason why I don't want the price put up.

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

None of this is true though.

• Kanye headlined 2015 and it didn't stop 2016 selling out
  • 2016 was shit weather but didn't stop 2017 selling out

A record number of people tried for tickets last October. 

2 minutes ago, Keithy said:

What a very weird thread. Arguing that tickets should be more expensive.

And a liberal lefty that supports touting tickets! ?