The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

2 minutes ago, gfest2009 said:

Us too. It harks back to our poor student days when we could only afford one bought meal a day each. Two half meals made it stretch further. Now we just get to try loads of different things ?.

I think for me it's a novelty as I am veggie and OH isn't. When we first met the only veg he ate were potatoes and onions. Over 20+ years I've gotten through a lot of his food phobias and now he will eat so much more. It's one of the things he always comments on at Glastonbury is how lucky he is that he isn't the boring eater he once was. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I think for me it's a novelty as I am veggie and OH isn't. When we first met the only veg he ate were potatoes and onions. Over 20+ years I've gotten through a lot of his food phobias and now he will eat so much more. It's one of the things he always comments on at Glastonbury is how lucky he is that he isn't the boring eater he once was. 

Managed to convert my decidedly non-veggie brother in law and his mates to the falafel from the Goodness Gracious stand. And thinking about it is just making me hungrier. Damn.

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Funnily enough, when I first got with my OH I was much like your partner! I didn't even eat pasta. He's coaxed me into so many new and exciting things! Indian food is now my favorite when I'd NEVER eat anything spicy before! Like @Quark I'm on day 2 of 'sort my shit out for Glasto' and I'm actually drooling ? X

3 hours ago, The Clearest Blue said:

That's cool, I was only messing, I would probably eat a lot more but I never seem to have time Friday to Sunday unless I plan in a meal break and plans at Glastonbury never been to come to fruition.

I took it in the Glastonbury spirit ? I don't plan anything anymore, I just go with the flow and to be honest I see less of the big bands and have more  smaller experiences year on year.

As an example Sunday morning an egg roll and tea then the comedy tent as they "review" the Sunday papers then off to Tiny tea tent for an herbal for my daughter and a Dad funded trip around the craft stalls. Etc.

Edited by Gedh

I always get slight anxiety knowing that I can probably only eat two main meals a day so have to choose wisely so not to waste a choice. Always go for slightly exotic rather than burger or sausage or potato type things. 

I remember having a mixed plate of stuff from Ghandi's Flip Flop and literally thinking I was going to throw up I had eaten so much. Must remember to be REALLY hungry before I try that again! 

9 hours ago, Gedh said:

Manic Organic for brekkie then tiny tea tent for a cuppa and biscuits/cake then perhaps jerk for lunch, afternoon scones and tea, then a rotating dinner selection at 6 then the 9 o'clock cheesy chips or Mac n cheese whilst wandering then some cheeky crumpets before bed. 

Oh forgot the Valentine's liquorice stall and the cake stalls near greenpeace that may get a daily visit. Oh and permaculture for lemonade and onion bajis.

I don't really drink so have to keep the calories up some how....

True story, for more than one year, I thought Manic Organic was called Manc Orange.

I wasn't really paying attention.

8 hours ago, Gedh said:

I go with my daughter and so we blend our food tastes and whilst she is buying a juice or cake it seems rude not to join in....

Food intake does seem to depend on miles walked so 2016 not so much.

Anyway you can watch a band whilst eating and drinking. 

I walked a lot more in 2016. I know it was a bit harder, but because there was nowhere to sit, I was on the move almost constantly. 2017 was lots of bimbling and sitting about, 2016 was go, go, go.

17 hours ago, gfest2009 said:

Funnily enough, when I first got with my OH I was much like your partner! I didn't even eat pasta. He's coaxed me into so many new and exciting things! Indian food is now my favorite when I'd NEVER eat anything spicy before! Like @Quark I'm on day 2 of 'sort my shit out for Glasto' and I'm actually drooling ? X

He has favourite cuisines now like Mexican that he wouldn't even contemplate going near when we first met. It's always nice when he makes a new discovery and decides he really likes something new. The bad thing is he now goes to Bundobust in Manchester without me and sends me pictures. I mean going to a vegetarian Indian street food restaurant without me is pretty low!! 

18 hours ago, Quark said:

Managed to convert my decidedly non-veggie brother in law and his mates to the falafel from the Goodness Gracious stand. And thinking about it is just making me hungrier. Damn.

Sorry we are making you hungry. My husband wouldn't eat falafel for ages and said hummus tasted like wallpaper paste (not sure what his frame of reference for eating wallpaper paste was!!) It's now his default lazy lunch if I'm not around to make anything more exciting. 

15 hours ago, Gedh said:

As an example Sunday morning an egg roll and tea then the comedy tent as they "review" the Sunday papers then off to Tiny tea tent for an herbal for my daughter and a Dad funded trip around the craft stalls. Etc.

My absolute favourite Sunday mornings were stumbling out of the tent, heading over to the Glade and picking up a mushroom, spinach & cheese crepe and a cup of coffee on the way, then sitting under a tree and catching Audience with Howard Marks (RIP :(). Great way to ease into Sunday.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

My absolute favourite Sunday mornings were stumbling out of the tent, heading over to the Glade and picking up a mushroom, spinach & cheese crepe and a cup of coffee on the way, then sitting under a tree and catching Audience with Howard Marks (RIP :(). Great way to ease into Sunday.

I was there.

That was a most pleasant morning indeed.

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

He has favourite cuisines now like Mexican that he wouldn't even contemplate going near when we first met. It's always nice when he makes a new discovery and decides he really likes something new. The bad thing is he now goes to Bundobust in Manchester without me and sends me pictures. I mean going to a vegetarian Indian street food restaurant without me is pretty low!! 

It's dangerous mentioning Bundobust this close to lunch on payday. Great restaurant

25 minutes ago, flyingmonkeypigs said:

It's dangerous mentioning Bundobust this close to lunch on payday. Great restaurant

Yes it is our perfect restaurant. Husband likes the beer selection and the food I love the food and their mango lassi. If they did a pop up at Glastonbury they'd make a killing. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Just found out The Gravy Train who did the might fine poutine last time will be back in the same spot by Leftfield. 

I had it, was looking forward to it having heard about it beforehand. Was woefully disappointed. Tasted like crap frozen chips and gravy. Maybe it was an off batch and willing to give it another try possibly. Unless there is another poutine van there and I'm getting the wrong end of the chip. 

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I had it, was looking forward to it having heard about it beforehand. Was woefully disappointed. Tasted like crap frozen chips and gravy. Maybe it was an off batch and willing to give it another try possibly. Unless there is another poutine van there and I'm getting the wrong end of the chip. 

I've had them at Glastonbury and several times since as they used to come on a monthly visit to Grub Manchester and they've always been delicious. I was really reluctant to have them as well as despite living in the north I've always found the idea of chips and gravy a bit icky but the toppings and the cheese curds made it totally delicious and I regretted not trying it earlier. As with all these food things though timing can be everything and one bad experience does put you off. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I've had them at Glastonbury and several times since as they used to come on a monthly visit to Grub Manchester and they've always been delicious. I was really reluctant to have them as well as despite living in the north I've always found the idea of chips and gravy a bit icky but the toppings and the cheese curds made it totally delicious and I regretted not trying it earlier. As with all these food things though timing can be everything and one bad experience does put you off. 

I absolutely adore chips and gravy and was introduced to the cheese addition many years ago as a hangover cure when I lived in Chester. Its such a brilliant combo, it shouldn't work but it does. Myself and the hubs sought the stall out last time cos we were so looking forward to it. Asked him about it after my last post and he just said 'Oh yeah, it was shit. Shame cos we spent ages looking for it' 

Will see what they are offering this year but frozen chips can fucking do one. 

2 hours ago, H.M.V said:

I too was woefully disappointed, chips, cheese and gravy is one of my favourite treats (you can take a girl out of Sheffield but you can't take Sheffield out of the girl!) I left over half of it as it was very sickly. :bad:

There is a new one opening up in Manchester that was on the Million Dollar Menu. Think they open up next week and apparently they are even better. They do maple fries which sound like something which must be tried. 

I really like The Gravy Trains veggie gravy. I normally don't have gravy at all but their gravy is really good. Maybe go by the stall and look at the chips first. 

4 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

I too was woefully disappointed, chips, cheese and gravy is one of my favourite treats (you can take a girl out of Sheffield but you can't take Sheffield out of the girl!) I left over half of it as it was very sickly. :bad:

Yup, chucked ours as well. Was totally gutted as we spent ages looking for the stall and were really looking forward to the comforts that only chips and gravy can give. 

8 minutes ago, StoneCircle said:

They are from Sheffield as well. Maybe the veggie gravy is better than the meat one??