Jump to content
marathonsteve

Oxfam Volunteering 12th Feb

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

 a shot from the Tuesday - I am used to it by now as I have been working at it for 30 years  

You will be surprised how many is onsite a few days before the gates open as its a busy old place - this is the Bread and Roses that opens from the Sunday

wbc-9.thumb.jpg.0ee25498c8757bb03444c04da3ce14ac.jpg2011-wbc-20.thumb.jpg.a4569df3e4b567f93de892afd56ec965.jpg

Bread and roses , my absolute favourite bar on the festival site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Oh keep the photos and advice coming please, excitement levels though the roof, I love the bread and roses anyway, that’s always one of my wed/thur night haunts, now I can go from the Sunday ... wow . Hadnt even occurred to me that it’ll be busy from the weekend before , yay 😀 

this is a good one from 2010 { the very hot year }

 this mob showed up { on the metal track} just before gate D opened 

they came up though Bushy Ground - I was about to ask them but someone called me on the walkie-talkie so got distracted.

as I cant see them getting on a Coach with those strange trolleys but I don't have the answer

-------

the best way is just to ask - don't forget most of the general Crew bars are not listed on any map and some have very strange Bar hours - I tend just to stick to the Bread and Roses as its run by the WBC so I can skip the queue and our own crew Bar which is even cheaper { at one time it used to be free but they started charging in the early 90's }

The Bread and Roses is one of the few Bars I have never worked in .

I know some who try to hit all the general Crew bars but its more like hard work and they are spread all over the place so I will leave it to the younger ones

2010-wbc-01.thumb.jpg.5c4fd0edeaee3a0898d55fcfb75fbc26.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As we go marching marching in the beauty of the day

a million darkened kitchens a thousand mill lofts grey

are touched will all the radiance that a sudden sun discloses

for the people hear us singing bread and roses, bread and roses 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, no never been before. Various reasons why we have left it so late in life, but I’m like an excited kid now. Really looking forward to stewarding too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Funkyfairy! said:

Have you been before, congrats on getting a volunteer place 

Thanks, no never been before. Various reasons why we have left it so late in life, but I’m like an excited kid now. Really looking forward to stewarding too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting to hear if I'm confirmed. I had five bashes at payment and had them all authorised but had an error each time saying my place couldn't be reserved. So there's £1250 authorised to go out, but no email or pending transactions. 

I know Oxfam have said if the money's been taken then you've got a place, but technically my money hasn't been taken, it's just sitting there. I'm sure I'll get everything extra back, but still waiting to hear if I've got a place. Anyone else got similar going on? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, hurdy said:

Still waiting to hear if I'm confirmed. I had five bashes at payment and had them all authorised but had an error each time saying my place couldn't be reserved. So there's £1250 authorised to go out, but no email or pending transactions. 

I know Oxfam have said if the money's been taken then you've got a place, but technically my money hasn't been taken, it's just sitting there. I'm sure I'll get everything extra back, but still waiting to hear if I've got a place. Anyone else got similar going on? 

The same happened to me, I phoned them and have since received an email to say that the space is reserved and the excess charges will be refunded over the next few days. (The payments did/do show as pending on my account)

Fingers crossed for you

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, not worthy said:

The same happened to me, I phoned them and have since received an email to say that the space is reserved and the excess charges will be refunded over the next few days. (The payments did/do show as pending on my account)

Fingers crossed for you

Yep, just had a similar email. Time to get excited again! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Watchy said:

Thanks, no never been before. Various reasons why we have left it so late in life, but I’m like an excited kid now. Really looking forward to stewarding too 

Its ok to leave it late, I didn't go until I was in my lates 30's and the gang I go with nearer 50 - 9 years later I know it changed the way I view things, its one of my havens , and can't wait to give soemthing back this year (first yer voluntering). You are in for such a treat, an absolutely amazing week - ask anything you want , ask away :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

this is a good one from 2010 { the very hot year }

 this mob showed up { on the metal track} just before gate D opened 

they came up though Bushy Ground - I was about to ask them but someone called me on the walkie-talkie so got distracted.

as I cant see them getting on a Coach with those strange trolleys but I don't have the answer

-------

the best way is just to ask - don't forget most of the general Crew bars are not listed on any map and some have very strange Bar hours - I tend just to stick to the Bread and Roses as its run by the WBC so I can skip the queue and our own crew Bar which is even cheaper { at one time it used to be free but they started charging in the early 90's }

The Bread and Roses is one of the few Bars I have never worked in .

I know some who try to hit all the general Crew bars but its more like hard work and they are spread all over the place so I will leave it to the younger ones

2010-wbc-01.thumb.jpg.5c4fd0edeaee3a0898d55fcfb75fbc26.jpg

And another day of excitement and anticipation - thank you :-). I'll trawl some of the crew bars (if I can find them) just to see whats out there and its all new again

Crazy to think there is a whole new world behind what I've seen as a new worker, its like the excitement has started all over again :-) .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, not worthy said:

The same happened to me, I phoned them and have since received an email to say that the space is reserved and the excess charges will be refunded over the next few days. (The payments did/do show as pending on my account)

Fingers crossed for you

I wonder then if they have taken multiple payments from people if there may be more spaces available once they sort out the duplicates. Keep your eyes peeled people

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 11:22 AM, Funkyfairy! said:

I have no blag whatsoever , won’t even try it 😂😂😂

sometimes you don't even need to try !!!!

there is a gate that mainly allows cars in to the backstage compound - I was walking though with a ' Crew production pass ' but the two guys on that gate got distracted by a driver but they recognised me so they did not bother to check my pass - was 50 feet past the gate and I got a call on my walkie-talkie so I sat down to take it - I then spotted about 8 people behind me ' stopped as well '

so I suspected ' they had nipped though spotting the two being distracted ' but to test it - I got up walked 20 feet and then stopped again and sure enough ' My 8 Shadows ' stopped again

- I was heading to a area where there is a extra Security check so I walked back to my shadows - pointing which lane to go up as they clearly did not have a clue about the layout.

I don't know if they had planned to try and get in without the correct pass or they had just spotted the two guys not really looking but they were happy to know how to find the Guest Bar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I doubt anyone knows an exact number as many of them will be in restricted areas so only open to people with specific passes or wristbands. All told the answer is probably somewhere between 20 and 50.

But generally - once the gates have opened - Arcadia, Unfairground, Shangri-La, and Block 9 each have their own and have typically let all non-public wristbands in.

Most of the decent sized stages will have bars - though I've only heard of the Acoustic and JazzWorld letting random crew in, and then not consistently (so collect a wristband before gates open if you can). Likewise for several Crew Camping areas, though I think only the one in Toms Field allows outsiders.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to add - definitely worth finding as many as you can on the Monday or Tuesday, not just to collect wristbands but also to figure out where they all are. At that point the site is still mostly quiet and so you can find them just because the bar is likely to be the only significant source of noise in the field and the entrances haven't yet been hidden/obscured/disguised.

It becomes a lot more difficult once the show is underway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone who has worked as a steward for Oxfam previously tell me  when you need to be on-site by (time and day). And how many days earlier you need to be there if you elect for early-shift arrival on site.

Next bit - how many shifts are you likely to complete prior to the Fri-Sun period when arriving in both instances.

thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For main shift - Last arrival time will be Tuesday afternoon, probably about 5pm or 6pm. First shifts start 6am Wednesday morning, definitely expect to have 1 shift completed by early afternoon Friday, and if you're lucky you could have 2 of them out of the way.

For early shifts - arrive some time on the Saturday before the Festival. All shifts will be completed before gates open (ie by 6am Wednesday at the latest). Though the chance of getting selected for early shifts is apparently pretty unlikely though - nearly everyone applies, and far less people are needed than for main shift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all, this will be my 5th Glasto, but first time as an Oxfam Volunteer!

Just got one quick question, I got in as a campaigner, but checked the FAQ's which said for Glastonbury I'll have to do one other festival. 

This correct and enforced? 

And given that Glasto is quite early in the festival calendar, can you do the second festival, after Glastonbury?

 

Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, 5thtimer said:

Hey all, this will be my 5th Glasto, but first time as an Oxfam Volunteer!

Just got one quick question, I got in as a campaigner, but checked the FAQ's which said for Glastonbury I'll have to do one other festival. 

This correct and enforced? 

And given that Glasto is quite early in the festival calendar, can you do the second festival, after Glastonbury?

 

Cheers!

For a campaigner, yes, that's correct and yes, will be enforced. Stewards don't have that restriction. I should also mention that campaigner places are subject to some form of "audition" process ie to show that you're reasonably outgoing, able to talk to people about Oxfams work, etc.

It won't matter when the second festival is (bear in mind, the return of your deposit depends on both being completed)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Watchy said:

Thanks, no never been before. Various reasons why we have left it so late in life, but I’m like an excited kid now. Really looking forward to stewarding too 

Do not worry about the age thing, I did my first in 2017 at the age of 64 - you will have a ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, incident said:

For a campaigner, yes, that's correct and yes, will be enforced. Stewards don't have that restriction. I should also mention that campaigner places are subject to some form of "audition" process ie to show that you're reasonably outgoing, able to talk to people about Oxfams work, etc.

It won't matter when the second festival is (bear in mind, the return of your deposit depends on both being completed)

Ok cool, I was planning on doing another festival anyway. So I can attend glastonbury, and then to get my £250 back I also have to do another. I'll just have to hope work lets me

Yea had the email about that! Got to send a video in! I'm absolutely fine with talking to people and campaigning, talking to a camera however, not so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that the 2nd festival doesn't also have to be as a campaigner, which opens up the possibilities for you a bit, and some of the smaller festivals (NASS and 2000 Trees for sure, probably others) only ask for 2 shifts and less time on site which may help if annual leave is an issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...