Has anyone here ever met the band New Order ?

Bananaslug

I've always liked Steve when I've seen him in interviews. He does seem nervous, but a likable quirky guy.

But really don't rate him as a good drummer. Just not very tight. In the lead up to the last time they played, every video I watched was a mess unless the drum machines were keeping the time. I gave them a miss in the end.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I've always liked Steve when I've seen him in interviews. He does seem nervous, but a likable quirky guy.

But really don't rate him as a good drummer. Just not very tight. In the lead up to the last time they played, every video I watched was a mess unless the drum machines were keeping the time. I gave them a miss in the end.

Back in the day he was a human drum machine. Totally brilliant drummer. Watch some of the older shows on YouTube. Esp mid 80s. He played insane!

1 hour ago, BlackHole2006 said:

He’s actually dating my friend behind Sarah’s back but please don’t tell anyone 

Your "friend" is also supposedly dating one of the Daft Punk guys, too...according to your other post on another thread. Can see your posts on your profile. Lol. Uh huh. 

9 hours ago, BlackHole2006 said:

He’s actually dating my friend behind Sarah’s back but please don’t tell anyone 

eFests is notoriously secure my friend. I shall take it to my grave.

The secret that is, not eFests.

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Think this is one of the reasons (I've got a few of them) I always preferred Joy Division, his playing works a lot better with them.

Just now, priest17 said:

Think this is one of the reasons (I've got a few of them) I always preferred Joy Division, his playing works a lot better with them.

Yeah, his drumming is fine on that song. 

I think what's increasingly annoyed me about his style is that you have this music that has electronica trappings, but without the tightness you get from a drum machine or funk band drummer.  For me it's like listening to classical music with the string section out of tune, pretty unbearable.

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I mean, he's playing fast, but the timing just sound imprecise and they way he hits the hi-hats just sounds inconsistent and sloppy.

To each his own. It's still fantastic playing and super human speed. 

That was new orders charm..their haphazard not give a fuck attitude then lol

Here is a video I took when I went to see Mike Joyce and Stephen Morris at a talk about drumming, in Manchester.

I never noticed Mr Morris was out of time until Stu brought it up on here. He was definitely out of time when he was drumming against the machines when they played People On The High Line at RAH a few years ago. That's the only time I can remember being out though.

Have been listening to a load of live stuff recently and some of his chops or the cymbals sound shit as they are too fast.

Yet he is generally regarded as a fantastic drummer. Stu is the only person I have ever heard be negative towards him.

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Here is a video I took when I went to see Mike Joyce and Stephen Morris at a talk about drumming, in Manchester.

I never noticed Mr Morris was out of time until Stu brought it up on here. He was definitely out of time when he was drumming against the machines when they played People On The High Line at RAH a few years ago. That's the only time I can remember being out though.

Have been listening to a load of live stuff recently and some of his chops or the cymbals sound shit as they are too fast.

Yet he is generally regarded as a fantastic drummer. Stu is the only person I have ever heard be negative towards him.

I hope I've not ruined him for you! I remember last time this came up, I Googled around to see if anyone else had the same opinion, but you're right, he's generally highly regarded.

I don't know why it winds me up so much, I clearly have a bee in my bonnet. And to be fair, none of the band have good timing, Barney's guitar doesn't quite come on right either. Nor the keyboards. But it's the drummer who is supposed to set the tone, rhythmically speaking, so Stephen gets my ire.

It's because those songs and arrangements are so good. I want the band to sound as tight as Blue Monday all the time, but when they're not using a sequenced beat, they're such a different band, it's a bit like the uncanny valley where they're almost there, but far enough off to do my nut in!

The bass is always spot on though, both Hooky and the current guy.

BTW, I Stephen's drumming on Atmosphere.