Isle of Wight 2019 Festival

galbani

7 hours ago, hey_im_liam said:

What a stupid thing to write. I bet you were one of those idiots shouting ‘Mon the Biff’ when Ashcroft was playing - incredibly pathetic and disrespectful to a legend in British music. I like Biffy, but I love RA and it was a shame that people like you tried to ruin his set for everyone else, for absolutely no reason at all. As the old saying goes - if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything. Oh, and by the way, the Verve were bigger and will ALWAYS be bigger than Biffy will ever be. Goodnight xo

Don't like biffy one bit but the part of his set we caught including bitter sweet was awful. Sundara Karma was better and that's saying something given their setlist.

Had a great weekend myself, just sad that i don't remember any of Noel. Really enjoyed Saturday considering i don't particularly like any of the acts from that day other than Sundara. Fatboy Slim and George Ezra both put on great shows (shame Jess Glynne didn't get a stool like Ezra ?) definitely would come back and will be back.

Edited by gfa

Just back after a good weekend. Not a great weekend, as in previous years. Just a good weekend. I shan't be risking early-bird tickets for next year though. I have a fear that this fest is going the way of the V fests...

Highlights, in no particular order - Gerry Cinnamon, DMAs, Idles, Courteeners, Biffy, Richard Ashcroft, Tom Walker, Coral, Garbage and Miles Kane.

Ezra was pretty dull.

Two show stealers for me.... Madness and Keane!

Lack of distractions between acts was annoying. Same songs being played over and over. What can't they put something decent on and let it play?

Annoyed that own food not allowed in. Not keen on festfood.

One thing is certain. Predicting the line-up for next year, apart from keeping people amused, would appear to be pretty pointless!

Enjoyed the overall festival experience but musical highlights were a bit thin on the ground with only Idles, Garbage, Biffy Clyro and Friendly Fires, of the main acts, hitting the spot. Plenty of enjoyable stuff on the smaller stages though such as Saint Agnes, a fun Queen tribute act and various Cirque de la Quirk rave madness. Still can't figure out why the circus rides need loud music playing even when  there's actual bands playing next door!

Been going to Isle of Wight since 2008, and this year seemed a bit subdued compared with previous years. Also seems to be getting smaller, with less 'areas' and the need to put Platform One and Electric Love back into the camping area as if trying to spread things out...

Overall seemed quite quiet, apart from certain times, e.g. Keane in the Big Top. Maybe they should have tried to transfer them to the main stage when Jess Glynne pulled out?

You can certainly tell the bands that want it - Biffy Clyro were amazing, even though I am not a huge fan of their music. James always good value too, but there seemed to be quite a few more lacklustre performances this year.

The one thing I did think was really bad this year was the price of food and drink. Always expensive but this year a complete rip-off. Noticeably less choice and just not very nice. And who had the bright idea of selling Heineken for £5.30 only to give you a half pint can? Sorry, but this is robbery and should be reported - over £10 for a pint! Should be illegal...

Fella - it's designed to protect you, so you don't over-indulge...

And that's why we took in our own GnTs....!

Couldn't understand why Tom Chaplin wasn't on the main stage, headlining. Awesome. And enthusiastic...

Moving them with 10 minutes notice after JG dropped out might have been a challenge though...

Had a really good day at IOW on the Sunday. One thing you have to give them credit for is the organisation of it all. Everything just runs flawlessly now - they really have ironed out all the problems from a few years back.  

Really hope they can start to move this festival forward again. There has clearly been a decline in the size and quality of acts over the last 5 years or so yet they don't seem to have any issues selling tickets. People really do love this festival. I'm hoping  to see a strong line-up next year and a couple of the smaller areas come back. Get this festival moving in the right direction again. Fingers crossed.

Edited by Henrik

I've just read the story of Jess Glynne pulling out of Isle Of Wight even though she was backstage because she was hangover from drinking with the Spice Girls the night before, what a fucking idiot lightweight if it's true. 

Edited by jump

19 hours ago, galbani said:

Annoyed that own food not allowed in. Not keen on festfood.

It is in reality very easy to take in what you wish.

As far as food goes i took some in everyday in my rucksack with no problem.

And everyone takes drinks in, it would impossible to stop.

First time at IOW, had a great time! Biffy the undoubted highlight on Sunday night but there were many others I enjoyed. Thought the set up works well where you get through different areas to reach the main arena. 

I was impressed with the organisation in and out, especially on Thursday. We got the 12.15 ferry and fully expected to be queuing for a while but drove straight in and got into the site quickly too. Think people’s arrival times being staggered due to the need for a ferry ends up being a help in this regard. Also seemed a nice atmosphere in the campsites, everyone around us was friendly and weren’t aware of any issues. 

Will certainly be back! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Fella said:

And who had the bright idea of selling Heineken for £5.30 only to give you a half pint can? Sorry, but this is robbery and should be reported - over £10 for a pint! Should be illegal...

Yes but there where plenty of other choices to be honest, you could buy a pint for £5.50 if you wanted.

Or about £2 (eq pint) if you shopped at the Co-op :)

Edited by Neon

2 hours ago, Neon said:

Yes but there where plenty of other choices to be honest, you could buy a pint for £5.50 if you wanted.

Or about £2 (eq pint) if you shopped at the Co-op :)

Best bang for your £ was pints of Laguinitas IPA from the craft beer bar in Octopus Garden for £6. It wouldn’t be far off that in most pubs. 

I avoided the overpriced Heineken and mainly stuck to pints of Maltsmiths for £5.50, didn’t think that was too bad really 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rfc_478 said:

Best bang for your £ was pints of Laguinitas IPA from the craft beer bar in Octopus Garden for £6. It wouldn’t be far off that in most pubs. 

I avoided the overpriced Heineken and mainly stuck to pints of Maltsmiths for £5.50, didn’t think that was too bad really 

I would have been sh!t!ng through the eye of a needle had I been on the IPA ? 

3 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

Agree Octopus Garden always seems to have the best food and drink options.

And I was certainly aware there were cheaper options available than the overprice Heineken, just thought giving it in the smaller sized cans was a bit off...

Still a good festival, and no doubt will be back next year!  

7 hours ago, Neon said:

Do you have any idea ???

I was saying i don't like biffy and wasn't doing those chants etc, but the part of richard ashcrofts set we caught was rubbish including bitter sweet. Sounded truly awful, hopefully he sounds better at Sziget.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:14 AM, hey_im_liam said:

What a stupid thing to write. I bet you were one of those idiots shouting ‘Mon the Biff’ when Ashcroft was playing - incredibly pathetic and disrespectful to a legend in British music. I like Biffy, but I love RA and it was a shame that people like you tried to ruin his set for everyone else, for absolutely no reason at all. As the old saying goes - if you don’t have anything nice to say, then don’t say anything. Oh, and by the way, the Verve were bigger and will ALWAYS be bigger than Biffy will ever be. Goodnight xo

Hello Richard.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

The Isle of Wight Festival 2021 will be held from June 17 to 20 at Seaclose Park.

The Isle of Wight Festival is the longest running music festival in the UK, which remains one of the most popular in Europe. Each year, about 90,000 music lovers come to the island for a weekend of rock stars, underground dance performances and everything in between.

The 2019 festival will be presented by sets from Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, George Ezra, Biffy Clear, Curtiners, Fatboy Slim and many others.