Isle of Wight 2019 Festival

galbani

Well, with tickets for next year announced, we know it's on.

Headline options? Given that IOW generally has the cash to splash (Depeche Mode, Fleetwood Mac, Bruce Springsteen), I think we could expect one big name, likely of the veteran variety, along with an up-and-comer being handed their major festival headline debut.

Plump from the following options for me, even if I don't necessarily agree:

Arctic Monkeys
Biffy Clyro
Billy Joel
Catfish and the Bottlemen
Def Leppard
Elton John
Florence + The Machine
Foals
Jeff Lynne's ELO
Justin Timberlake

Kings of Leon
Muse
Paramore
P!nk
Royal Blood
Take That
The xx

All new headline options in bold.

There's a mix there; I think, in the last five years, IOW has positioned itself as MOR as they come. Save Run-D.M.C, they've not had a headliner who's particularly off the radar in a long time. They've never had the greatest record for blooding new acts at the top either in the past; Run-D.M.C. and The Black Keys are the two who made their headline debuts here (who aren't also a behemoth global act a la Fleetwood Mac).

The three prior headliners of Biffy Clyro, Kings of Leon and Muse all the fit the bill, though whether any of them are touring Europe is something else. Arctic Monkeys have never headlined IOW, which surprises me a bit; could very well be a stop-off if they're not locked for Glasto and even then, still a shout. Billy Joel's rarity factor would pull a lot of punters in, plus his only other festival show would likely be a BST gig or the Sunday Legend at Glasto. Catfish got the nod at APE; more mainstream than The National or Nick Cave, could get a push here depending on whether interest holds out before waning badly. Def Leppard likely to have European shows next summer on the back of this year's massive US trek; international headliner but would only otherwise play Download here. Have the hits for 75 minutes; could easily co-headline. Elton's farewell tour a massive booking, and having done Bestival, could be a shot for this one if Glasto/BST don't go for him. Florence is overdue another festival shot; hasn't headlined any of the other Big Six since Glasto and only other UK festival show was BST. Foals tipped by many for Glasto but may have missed their boat like Biffy for that one; here would be a sound booking, particularly as a co-headliner with The xx. ELO primed for a major slot next summer; will be this or BST, surely. Timberlake likely pricey but proven catalogue would more than make up; also a rare option as a UK festival player. Paramore somewhat dropped off since 2014 and their R+L co-headline gig, but the forums over there seemed to be clamouring for them to top the bill once more; could feasibly come here instead. P!nk surely due a massive festival show next year alongside a likely spring arena tour; may very well hold that for stadiums and BST though, is a big ticket mover these days. Royal Blood surprisingly absent from UK bills this year. Must be headed back next summer and in the seat for a big name slot, though like Foals, could have missed the boat. Take That supposedly off on a reunion greatest hits tour with Robbie; would be a surefire hit and the band seem to have downscaled expectations/cost since becoming a trio. See Foals for The xx.

Billy is still too big to do a Glastonbury Sunday.  He’s headliner all the way.  They would sell out on him and the older crowd which is what they want.  

DL and Elton would also pull in the same crowd but if they are available will end up at glas. 

Would happily see all 3 in one weekend. Florence is the only one off that list I’d want. 

Fleetwood mac

pearl jam

noel Galagher 

Prodigy 

phil Collins / genesis 

Stereophonics

would all be on my list. Sunday afternoon, Sheryl slot  (or the milf slot as it should now be called), Catatonia would nail it.  

On 6/28/2018 at 4:11 PM, AMBEV said:

Billy is still too big to do a Glastonbury Sunday.  He’s headliner all the way.  They would sell out on him and the older crowd which is what they want.  

DL and Elton would also pull in the same crowd but if they are available will end up at glas. 

Would happily see all 3 in one weekend. Florence is the only one off that list I’d want. 

Fleetwood mac

pearl jam

noel Galagher 

Prodigy 

phil Collins / genesis 

Stereophonics

would all be on my list. Sunday afternoon, Sheryl slot  (or the milf slot as it should now be called), Catatonia would nail it.  

Forgot about Phil Collins actually, that's a hell of a good shout given that I think Giddings represents him.

The Mac and The Prodigy only did it '15, and Stereophonics in '16; think it would be too soon a return for the latter and too much cash to pony up for the former if they can get someone of similar stature who haven't played before.

Def Leppard at Glastonbury? Never really considered it but think they'd go down a treat. Not sure they'd accept anything over than headline though and would imagine that a revised Sunday afternoon booking would be more where ME + EE think of putting them.

On 6/28/2018 at 10:06 PM, dentalplan said:

That's a really good rundown @DownboundTrain52.

I think Muse, Florence + the Machine and Elton currently. Maybe double up Florence with Foals if the two acts' lack of options for UK headline spots is exploited.

Thank you, kind sir. I can get overly invested in this speculation sometimes...!

Muse's return is overdue as a veteran headliner; they've played the other five major festivals all since their IOW slot in 2007 (Glasto 2010+2016, R+L 2011+2017, TITP 2010, V2008 and Download 2015). They might even have a new record out too, so prime-time to air that.

I have a feeling you've got a shout for Elton; he'll go where the money is, and that's not Glasto. No reason he couldn't double up at BST/IOW like Blur in 2015.

Watching Florence's sales this week will be interesting, even if they may take a hit with Drake putting out Scorpion. I'm expecting tracking to run a similar trajectory to The Killers' Wonderful Wonderful given that I doubt she'll pull big streaming numbers. She could crop up at Latitude next year as an option, as could Foals. 

I think Muse, Florence + the Machine and Elton currently. Maybe double up Florence with Foals if the two acts' lack of options for UK headline spots is exploited.

I hadn't considered Elton as I thought BST seemed more likely but that's a very good shout. I agree on the other two as well, though at the moment I'm thinking Foals might end up playing somewhere like Finsbury rather than a festival.

IOW 19

Friday 

Artic Monkeys / Muse / Foo Fighters 

The Streets

Groove Armada

Saturday

Radiohead / The National 

Courteeners / Snow Patrol 

George Ezra 

Wolf Alice

Sunday

Coldplay / Elton John 

The Darkness

Neil Diamond 

Ellie Goulding 

Other

Jamie T

Embrace

Frank Turner 

Editors 

31 minutes ago, GDudgeon said:

IOW 19

Friday 

Artic Monkeys / Muse / Foo Fighters 

The Streets

Groove Armada

Saturday

Radiohead / The National 

Courteeners / Snow Patrol 

George Ezra 

Wolf Alice

Sunday

Coldplay / Elton John 

The Darkness

Neil Diamond 

Ellie Goulding 

Other

Jamie T

Embrace

Frank Turner 

Editors 

coldplay are not touring till 2021 i don't see the darkness subbing muse and arctic monkeys is a possibility 

if that's the case i'll be on the ferry straight away.

Edited by UndergroundSound

• 3 weeks later...

Is it worth to buy the early bird tickets now? any idea when the price are going up and how high it will be?

Me and my mates would fly to the UK and stay on Isle of Wight for the first time. But so far we can't decide which UK festival...Wight, 2000 Trees or Kendal Calling...

On 8/5/2018 at 2:02 PM, berger55 said:

Is it worth to buy the early bird tickets now? any idea when the price are going up and how high it will be?

Me and my mates would fly to the UK and stay on Isle of Wight for the first time. But so far we can't decide which UK festival...Wight, 2000 Trees or Kendal Calling...

If you buy them and don’t like the line up you’ll always seek them at what you paid in the early bird. 

• Upvote 1