Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

I'm actually not as gutted as I thought I'd be, same way I felt after the CL final loss. Feels like the national team has turned a corner and will have some great experience to build on for the younger players. Almost all our key players are 25 or under and  we've got more great young players coming through, and now they've got a great platform to build on.

14 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

While as a Welshman I wanted Croatia to win, I didn’t feel the elation that I saw in the past watching the likes of Rooney, Gerrard, Rio crushed.  The class of Croatia told in the end,, I hope they win the final. Amazing achievement for a nation with that population to reach the final.

Quite odd as the English have given the Welsh much support last few years during the resurgence last few years.

Edited by thetime

1 minute ago, Dan R said:

I'm actually not as gutted as I thought I'd be, same way I felt after the CL final loss. Feels like the national team has turned a corner and will have some great experience to build on for the younger players. Almost all our key players are 25 or under and  we've got more great young players coming through, and now they've got a great platform to build on.

Absolutely. All this. It’s the start rather than the end. Belgium are probably thinking the same about last night.

1 minute ago, Ted Dansons Wig said:

Beaten by a better team on the night. 

Boys did damn good though despite what the trolls on here and elsewhere will say and have said. 

Trolls? You mean those who have different opinion to yours? Ok then.

England have found their level, not world beaters yet but the potential is there.

Good luck Croatia Sunday, you’ll need it as the French are a different class.

Now, what to do this weekend......

Glen Hoddle is a still a tit

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Think so. Why's it bollocks? Better than boring friendlies.

Remains to be seen whether or not they’re just glorified friendlies, really. Feels like the kinda thing they try a couple of times and fans around the continent aren’t bothered to fill the seats so they bin it.

21 minutes ago, thetime said:

They are just glorified friendlies aren’t they? Can’t imagine Spain or even England getting excited about the nations cup.

Hopefully they are played in a competitive manner. I've watched 2 England friendlies in about 6 years now. 

Edited by WS_Jack_III

33 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Amazingly Kane adds to his reputation with the golden boot, but I still have my doubts about him in the big games.

Was a passenger from the hour mark onwards. Only on the pitch in case of penalties. 

Not rotating against Sweden cost us I think. Young looked tired and slow from the kick off. Rose should have started either against Sweden or today. RLC not getting a look in for either was a mistake as well. 

And I know people will answer - Croatia didn't rotate and played longer, but they can obviously deal with it better, shouldn't be making your decisions on what other teams are doing.

Just now, mjsell said:

And I know people will answer - Croatia didn't rotate and played longer, but they can obviously deal with it better, shouldn't be making your decisions on what other teams are doing.

Croatia aren't as reliant on a pressing game, or as reliant on high-tempo movement. There's a reason the only game England have scored after 70 minutes was the first one. Welbeck, Rose, and RLC should have played in one of the last 2 games.

5 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Croatia were the better team over 90 mins, let alone 120. England just lacked that bit of quality, which shouldn't really be a surprise considering it's mostly a team of prem squad players apart from Henderson/Alli/Kane..

And Pickford, Trippier, Walker, Maguire, Young, Sterling... 

So basically the whole team are prem first 11, except Stones and Lingard 

8 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I think Croatia were the better team over 90 mins, let alone 120. England just lacked that bit of quality, which shouldn't really be a surprise considering it's mostly a team of prem squad players apart from Henderson/Alli/Kane..

I don’t think Croatia got enough credit post match. For a nation of 4 million to get to the final is huge and Thuram won’t be playing this time! I do fear the uneven draw could result in a one sided final.

1 minute ago, mjsell said:

And Pickford, Trippier, Walker, Maguire, Young, Sterling... 

So basically the whole team are prem first 11, except Stones and Lingard 

Trippier started 20ish games for Spurs this season. That's part-time. Young is part-time for Man U.

Sterling was 30ish league appearances this season? Without a notable injury and inc. sub appearances? First pref but not key player.

It's half the first 11 and most of the rest of the squad.

6 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Was a passenger from the hour mark onwards. Only on the pitch in case of penalties. 

Not rotating against Sweden cost us I think. Young looked tired and slow from the kick off. Rose should have started either against Sweden or today. RLC not getting a look in for either was a mistake as well. 

I thought taking Modric off was a ballsy decision.

Just now, kaosmark2 said:

Trippier started 20ish games for Spurs this season. That's part-time. Young is part-time for Man U.

Sterling was 30ish league appearances this season? Without a notable injury and inc. sub appearances? First pref but not key player.

It's half the first 11 and most of the rest of the squad.

Although in comparison many of the Croatia players are playing for lesser teams. Of course big difference was midfield, second half Croatia just ran the game.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

I don’t think Croatia got enough credit post match. For a nation of 4 million to get to the final is huge and Thuram won’t be playing this time! I do fear the uneven draw could result in a one sided final.

I don't think Croatia got enough credit pre-match, inc. from you. They have astounding quality and I never thought England were favourites except at around 30 mins in.