Download 2019

Steve1000

Hello everyone, havent been on forums for a couple years, but i've been to many downloads before, thinking this years headliners will be:

BMTH, Slipknot, and Iron Maiden.

Really don't see Def Leppard working out this late in their career, see KISS being the biggest backup to Maiden in case their current tour is too small of a run for them compared to let's say Book of Souls or Greater Good of God tours. Queens of the Stone Age i don't see as too unlikely for Sunday either... But i'm set as BMTH and Slipknot will be Friday and Saturday.

Love the talk about Architects subbing, beneath BMTH would be ideal IMO. Slipknot can have Rod Stewart sub for them for all i care, Slipknot would be enough ?.

I'd say Slash is set for subbing KISS if they play, if they don't then Scorpions will sub for Maiden and Slash will be a 2nd headliner.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Don’t Scorpions apparently cost the earth to book? 

They could be opted as a co-headliner to someone like Judas Priest if they are headliners, but looking at them backing Maiden as they are i'd think of them being a sub headlining act.

This being said, Judas Priest w/ Scorpions would be one hell of a Sunday headliner against the likes of Slipknot and Bring Me. 

Edited by 77.23

4 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Weren't they billed as 'special guests'? I don't recall the term 'coheadliners' being used, not that it really means much. 

Similar thing happened in 2008 with KISS and Judas Priest, not co-headliners but more like secret sets gone public lol.

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Don’t Scorpions apparently cost the earth to book? 

5 hours ago, Nicklord said:

They cost headliner money but they aren't one at Download 

They can't cost that much as they have played both Stone Free and Ramblin Man since they were booked and then pulled out of Download. Their issue was not getting the headliner slot, they wanted full production of what is a pretty good show to be fair. I can't see them ever playing Download now. Copping doesn't see them as a big enough draw and they can headline wherever else they go so why would they take anything less? There has been talk of them at Bloodstock which would please and puzzle me at the same time. :) 

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Well that's just shocking to admit you had Whitesnake as a co-headliner...the turnout and reaction for Def Leppard was bad enough.

Def Leppard got a great reception the first time they headlined in 2009 (the year with Whitesnake). It was two years later in 2011 they got a rubbish crowd because they were a rubbish booking then. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Def Leppard got a great reception the first time they headlined in 2009 (the year with Whitesnake). It was two years later in 2011 they got a rubbish crowd because they were a rubbish booking then. 

2011 was when I was there actually. At the time I saw the line-up and thought Whitesnake and believed it was a sub but co-headliner....never here.

Defo s mistake to not see Pendulum but I wasn't a big fan then so.

7 hours ago, Reece1617 said:

Fuck me that new Black Peaks album is outstanding. This band are massively underrated. 

It's so good, hopefully it'll make enough noise to change that seemingly no one on my side of the pond knows who the hell they are.

Been lookin at BMTH's setlists in 2018 and they aren't playing much of their material before Sempiternal, any hopes if they play Download we'll get some Chelsea Smile or Alligator Blood in our gullets? Or has Oli given up on actually screaming when he picks up the mic now? 

Edited by 77.23

28 minutes ago, 77.23 said:

Been lookin at BMTH's setlists in 2018 and they aren't playing much of their material before Sempiternal, any hopes if they play Download we'll get some Chelsea Smile or Alligator Blood in our gullets? Or has Oli given up on actually screaming when he picks up the mic now? 

tbf he's going to have to at some point so his voice lives on. you can only scream for so long.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, 77.23 said:

Wouldn't judge it based on their 2018 setlists, they've only done R&L and it was a short set.

1 hour ago, 77.23 said:

For a headline set they'd play Chelsea Smile

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

tbf though, there is few vocalists who can scream and sing live...Corey Taylor being a fine example though. 

Corey's live screaming has changed a lot, though. He isn't at the same level he was pre-Vol 3. (which ruined his voice by his own admission). Sam Carter is an excellent example of being able to scream and sing equally as well live. 

I wouldn't hold out any hope of BMTH playing any older material at Download other than maybe wheeling Chelsea Smile out again. 

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Corey's live screaming has changed a lot, though. He isn't at the same level he was pre-Vol 3. (which ruined his voice by his own admission). Sam Carter is an excellent example of being able to scream and sing equally as well live. 

I wouldn't hold out any hope of BMTH playing any older material at Download other than maybe wheeling Chelsea Smile out again. 

tbf at 44 you would expect him not to be the same.