Download 2019

Steve1000

Is there some rift between Metallica and dl? They haven’t played since, what, 2010? Yet before then they were fairly regular at the festival. I would have thought that it would have been a certainty that they would have played by now, considering the size of their tour for hardwired.

however, would they realistically play DL and 2 stadium shows in the uk in a few days? That seems unlikely to me, sadly.

1 hour ago, Moey said:

Is there some rift between Metallica and dl? They haven’t played since, what, 2010? Yet before then they were fairly regular at the festival. I would have thought that it would have been a certainty that they would have played by now, considering the size of their tour for hardwired.

however, would they realistically play DL and 2 stadium shows in the uk in a few days? That seems unlikely to me, sadly.

2012. It is a surprisingly big gap considering how they made a crap chant about Metallica and Donington being a special famileeeeeeeee. Live Nation are promoting their tour. I have no doubt that festivals will be added to the end once all the fans have shelled out for stadiums. It's the new way. Kiss will do similar. There you go, 2 x 2020 headliners set in stone already.

3 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Well I hope they headline this soon because there's no way I'm paying £110 for a regular standing ticket.

No wonder they are doing that over Download. Download can't afford to do that, GNR wasn't bloody £110 to stand and they were on a reunion. That's ridiculous.

Its all about last big paydays for them now before calling it a day.

42 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Golden Circle bullshit is destroying the atmosphere in standing at huge gigs. I hate it. 

I agree (although maybe I'm part of the problem by forking out for it for Pumpkins).

There was golden standing at Foos this summer and I didn't find it too obstructive so I wouldn't have given it a second thought for the Metallica gig if the price of general admission was fair. 

Mad Cool VIP section was the worst I've ever seen. About three rows of people watching Tame Impala on one side with thousands packed into the same space on the other. 

9 hours ago, Red Day said:

Likewise, not a chance I'm paying that.  My DL ticket was £160 inc fees and if the loyalty vouchers are available again it kinda works out cheaper than a standing ticket for Metallica

Has it been confirmed that they’re doing loyalty again? 50bucks is a good trade off for the ticket price.

4 hours ago, battleborn said:

Re-reading that tweet from Download they stress that they are Metallica's only UK shows next year.

No mention of Ghost's only dates. I'm holding out the reason they're doing the shows that week is because Ghost were already booked to play Download; explaining the three day gap. We all know Volbeat we're originally booked (or at least had been asked) for the Metallica tour. Maybe Ghost we're already booked for Download 2019 when Metallica sacked Volbeat off for Ghost, so they've made both work?

You think Metallica booked their stadium shows around Ghost’s schedule?

Ghost could just wait till their next album cycle where Cardinal Copia becomes Papa IV and headline Download.

Plus i personally don't consider anything on Prequel to be anything heavy or raw enough for them to play Download at all, it's not like their past work like Pinnacle to the Pit or Year Zero, it doesn't have that Rock attitude to it, instead their going for making light dance tunes for getting people to like metal who shouldn't.

Rock and Metal are not about reminisce, their about attitude and grit. Something Ghost now are in a slope in within the studio.

Edited by seant007
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

FRIDAY

Slipknot / Slayer / Architects / Papa Roach / Behemoth / Code Orange / Puppy

The Darkness / The Gaslight Anthem / Pennywise

The All American Rejects / Waterparks

Carpenter Brut / Between the Buried & Me

SATURDAY

Rammstein / Judas Priest / Enter Shikari / The Distillers / While She Sleeps / Bad Wolves / Power Trip / Black Peaks

Pendulum / Don Broco / Underøath

Beartooth / The Menzingers 

The Black Dhalia Murders / Vein

SUNDAY

Bon Jovi / Slash / Halestorm / Dropkick Murphy's / Greta Van Fleet / UFO / Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown / Royal Republic

Trivium / Gojira / Creeper

Twin Atlantic / The Wonder Years

Kylesa / Nails

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

FRIDAY

Slipknot / Slayer / Architects / Papa Roach / Behemoth / Code Orange / Puppy

The Darkness / The Gaslight Anthem / Pennywise

The All American Rejects / Waterparks

Carpenter Brut / Between the Buried & Me

SATURDAY

Rammstein / Judas Priest / Enter Shikari / The Distillers / While She Sleeps / Bad Wolves / Power Trip / Black Peaks

Pendulum / Don Broco / Underøath

Beartooth / The Menzingers 

The Black Dhalia Murders / Vein

SUNDAY

Bon Jovi / Slash / Halestorm / Dropkick Murphy's / Greta Van Fleet / UFO / Tyler Bryant & The Shakedown / Royal Republic

Trivium / Gojira / Creeper

Twin Atlantic / The Wonder Years

Kylesa / Nails

Daaamn, son.

5 hours ago, seant007 said:

Ghost could just wait till their next album cycle where Cardinal Copia becomes Papa IV and headline Download.

Plus i personally don't consider anything on Prequel to be anything heavy or raw enough for them to play Download at all, it's not like their past work like Pinnacle to the Pit or Year Zero, it doesn't have that Rock attitude to it, instead their going for making light dance tunes for getting people to like metal who shouldn't.

Rock and Metal are not about reminisce, their about attitude and grit. Something Ghost now are in a slope in within the studio.

Totally agree on this, Ghost used to be a staple metal act, with ever forthcoming album being more groundbreaking as the last, making them build heavier sounds wile reaching the heavy metal and rock community akin to no other. 

Prequelle has made them get bigger yes, but has destroyed every other aspect of what they are as a band, no Papa Emeritus, no Ghost.

Cardinal Copia is nothing but a shoe in for #3 and they have made nothing but 80s power ballads like KISS and classical masturbation on Prequelle , it boggles my mind how people still think they're a huge metal act or even a metal act at all the way they're going.

Edited by RockCatNamedBob
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I don’t know what you’ve been listening to but Ghost have never been heavy. Ever. From Opus Eponymous through to Prequelle they’ve always been massively influenced by Blue Oyster Cult and other classic 70/80s heavy metal bands. Your example of Pinnacle to the Pit having ‘that Rock attitude’ is weird. That’s off of Meliora, which came out three years ago. Compare it to songs like Faith or Rats off of Prequelle and there is no dip in the ‘heaviness’. 

You do realise that Cardinal Copia and all of the Papas are the same man, right? Tobias Forge is Ghost. It doesn’t matter which character he is portraying, he writes all of the music and it’s all his vision. 

What a genuinely weird couple of posts about Ghost. 

Making music for ‘people to like Metal who shouldn’t’ is a really sad and pathetic thing to say and genuinely winds me up, as if everyone who likes metal came out the womb screaming Sandblasted Skin. How else are people going to get into metal music unless they find that first band to expose them to it? That ‘they don’t usually like metal’ artitude is toxic and a massive problem. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1