2018 New Music

the wonderwhy

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

New Chris(tine & the Queens) album is worth a listen, might fit the groove.

Also discovered Kadhja Bonet this year, some good tunes on her album

Ah. Forgot all about C&TQ! 

Thanks dude. 

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If Mrs W. likes Robyn generally then The Jepster's E.Mo.Tion is the obvious next stop.  Any of the acts influenced by Robyn, basically.  Lorde's Melodrama, Sigrid's Strangers. 1989-era Swizzle. This:

Nice one CalGon. Cheers. She’s emphatically not a Lorde fan. I’ll ask her why. Although I prefer to leave her ire bottled until Brit Awards night then uncork it in an explosion of effervescent expletives. Slagging off the Pixies to her has a similar effect. 

Anyhoo, thanks again. 

18 hours ago, Woffy said:

So, @dentalplan @GETOFFAMYLAWN Just putting together a playlist at her request for Mrs Woffy and her current jam is Robyn’s LP (not qqqqquite feeling it yet but getting there), that Maribou State tune and Roisin Murphy’s Jacuzzi Rollercoaster track. 

Recommendations up that alley?

It’ll be all 60s ‘girl bands’ if it were up to me. 

I'm not up on Maribou State or Roisin Murphy, but for stuff in the vein of Robyn, Carly Rae Jepsen is definitely your girl. Emotion, Emotion Side B, and Cut To The Feeling are the purest cuts of killer shit this century. You also need to gets your ears around Sigrid's EPs and singles.

Pay some mind also to Charli XCX, she's way more forward thinking, but she's definitely got the voodoo in her. Her entire discography is brilliant, but she's really come into her own with the more recent stuff, ie Vroom Vroom EP and everything since .

Recent albums by Empress Of and MØ should also be of interest to you.

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN

10 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'm not up on Maribou State or Roisin Murphy, but for stuff in the vein of Robyn, Carly Rae Jepsen is definitely your girl. Emotion, Emotion Side B, and Cut To The Feeling are the purest cuts of killer shit this century. You also need to gets your ears around Sigrid's EPs and singles.

Pay some mind also to Charli XCX, she's way more forward thinking, but she's definitely got the voodoo in her. Her entire discography is brilliant, but she's really come into her own with the more recent stuff, ie Vroom Vroom EP and everything since .

Recent albums by Empress Of and MØ should also be of interest to you.

Lawn. Brilliant stuff. Many thanks indeed. 

Edit: Meant to say, been listening to Empress Of this week due to seeing it mentioned elsewhere on here. Slick af. 

Edited by Woffy

2 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Drenge have a proper album out in February, you can pre-order it to get pre-sale to the tour they've also just announced. Well happy with that.

https://drenge.tmstor.es/?fbclid=IwAR0c_Nse7on8EOYZN_g2L_ZJXz4fo-UYafU0NkscgZ0wM1ZYWs8FctzajS0&lf=36d7e3ecf84c97ae17cd40ebbbbd9fd9

Need to start a new thread mate 

19 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yep. Fan of this. I'd seen their name and picture pop up but hadn't realised it's Chilli Jesson's band. Strange that Palma Violets have branched off into two bands - must be a story there.

I was just about to post similar. Mentioned to my mate a few weeks back that it was strange how they'd disappeared from view, be interested to find out what the story is

Might be a pertinent place to put this seeing as a lot of us really enjoyed the new Hookworms album.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alannamcardle_/status/1057222719987769344

With the state of how things are at the moment, I think we've got a duty to make sure we discuss these things if we've praised somebody's work. 

Fuck this guy. I loved this band, they were really important to the UK indie scene, especially in the North, really prominent lefty band as well. This story of somebody being outwardly woke to guard against shitty private behaviour is too common.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Might be a pertinent place to put this seeing as a lot of us really enjoyed the new Hookworms album.

https://mobile.twitter.com/alannamcardle_/status/1057222719987769344

With the state of how things are at the moment, I think we've got a duty to make sure we discuss these things if we've praised somebody's work. 

Fuck this guy. I loved this band, they were really important to the UK indie scene, especially in the North, really prominent lefty band as well. This story of somebody being outwardly woke to guard against shitty private behaviour is too common.

Oh man, now stuff like this is where I find modern life challenging. All I will ask is whether anything has been forthcoming from MJ in any response to this or the prior conversations?

Very good points made by Ellis from Trust Fund here. https://mobile.twitter.com/TRUST_FUND/status/1057233930024349696

For us as fans, I think there's real merit to the idea that we (particularly males) should be recognising that non-male acts deserve our support more. This sort of shit is going on, in large part, because of male privilege and dominance in music.

Shite news about that Hookworms guy. Think we're passed the point of letting off these c**ts because the musics good, shit to hear about though. Hope the victim gets closure from bringing it out into the open air.

On another note, The prophecy is complete and Ty Segall will have released at least 6 albums by the end of 2018. King Gizzard eat your heart out. New single with his new band The CIA here, album out in December. Sounds great, him, his wife and Emmett Kelly.

44 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Very good points made by Ellis from Trust Fund here. https://mobile.twitter.com/TRUST_FUND/status/1057233930024349696

For us as fans, I think there's real merit to the idea that we (particularly males) should be recognising that non-male acts deserve our support more. This sort of shit is going on, in large part, because of male privilege and dominance in music.

Erm, not sure about this one Ames. Is this suggestive of a small-scale boycott against all-male artists?

8 minutes ago, priest17 said:

On another note, The prophecy is complete and Ty Segall will have released at least 6 albums by the end of 2018. King Gizzard eat your heart out. New single with his new band The CIA here, album out in December. Sounds great, him, his wife and Emmett Kelly.

He should quit dicking around and try making an album that someone wants to listen to more than once.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

He should quit dicking around and try making an album that someone wants to listen to more than once.

If you can't go back to Freedom's Goblin that's on you, not him. The others are up for debate, I do really like the GOGGS one though.

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

How would this work? Surely we all tend to support acts that we like, irrespective of gender, no? 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Erm, not sure about this one Ames. Is this suggestive of a small-scale boycott against all-male artists?

44 minutes ago, Henrik said:

How would this work? Surely we all tend to support acts that we like, irrespective of gender, no? 

What I'm saying is that we should probably be making an effort to make sure we have listening habits that expose us to a healthy amount of female/non-binary musicians. It's all very well to say you like what you like and it's all merit, but there's clearly an unhealthy gender balance which is in turn giving men power. I'd say we should probably be thinking about what we can do in our power, however small that may be, do recognise that and try to change it.

As a fan, I choose where my money goes in times when I've got spending power. For example I'll happily pirate a mega artist's album, but try to buy an indie artist's music/merch/tickets where I can. I think that'll be something I'm not alone in doing. Why then would we not start paying attention to gender when we consider where our money goes?

Obviously, Mr plan, this isn't a boycott.

• Upvote 2