Football 17/18

TheGayTent

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Games start coming thick and fast now. The two Manchester clubs are dominating at the moment but everything could still change as we enter the busy festive period. Blind hope here.

City have dropped 2 points so far, scored 42 goals in 13 games, won 18 games in a row, 11 of which were away games. Unless they've a severe injury crisis the league is over. 

Yeah, it would have to be some remarkable collapse to see Citeh give up the title now. Done and dusted, and has been for a while now. 

To give it some context, there is currently 8 points between them and second place Utd. Thats the same amount of points that are between bottom club Palace and 9th place Brighton, thus covering 12 teams! 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

City have dropped 2 points so far, scored 42 goals in 13 games, won 18 games in a row, 11 of which were away games. Unless they've a severe injury crisis the league is over. 

45 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Yeah, it would have to be some remarkable collapse to see Citeh give up the title now. Done and dusted, and has been for a while now. 

To give it some context, there is currently 8 points between them and second place Utd. Thats the same amount of points that are between bottom club Palace and 9th place Brighton, thus covering 12 teams! 

hope.gif?itok=g3xQblS2

54 minutes ago, thetime said:

Well be more interesting than the defensive football that will be served up in the next 3 league games. 

I'll happily take the rough with the smooth. Unbeaten at home in 14 months. 39 games. Club record.

Home results this season. 

4-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 4-1, 4-0, 1-0, 2-0, 4-1, 1-0.

Think Jose will go for it (a bit more anyway) against Watford and Arsenal. And CSKA at home obviously. Can't see anything but a City win in the derby though. Although their defence hasn't really been tested yet. 

53 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I'll happily take the rough with the smooth. Unbeaten at home in 14 months. 39 games. Club record.

Home results this season. 

4-0, 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, 4-1, 4-0, 1-0, 2-0, 4-1, 1-0.

Think Jose will go for it (a bit more anyway) against Watford and Arsenal. And CSKA at home obviously. Can't see anything but a City win in the derby though. Although their defence hasn't really been tested yet. 

Shit football though,

im sure united fans would just rather look at the result, rather than enjoying the game itself. 

nintchdbpict000298612362.jpg?strip=all&w

This Premier League legend has just had his contract extended by Stoke. Most headed goals in the PL, more assists than Paul Scholes and a goal every two games for England. I remember at Euro 2012 we took an Andy Carroll who'd hardly scored all season ahead of a Crouchy who'd been playing well. I know Carroll scored at that tournament but Crouchy deserved to be there. His England career should have gone on for longer and he should have had more games. Always performed in the England shirt.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

nintchdbpict000298612362.jpg?strip=all&w

This Premier League legend has just had his contract extended by Stoke. Most headed goals in the PL, more assists than Paul Scholes and a goal every two games for England. I remember at Euro 2012 we took an Andy Carroll who'd hardly scored all season ahead of a Crouchy who'd been playing well. I know Carroll scored at that tournament but Crouchy deserved to be there. His England career should have gone on for longer and he should have had more games. Always performed in the England shirt.

Still scoring goals, gotta give him his dues.

Met him a few times too, really nice bloke.

Spurs are missing Alderweireld big time. He really is the best centre back in the league for me, and his loss is really being felt by Spurs now. That Mahrez goal (although a great strike) was terrible defending. Vertonghen lets him inside far too easily, but then Sanchez doesnt come out to meet him and dembele continues just jogging back. 

In other news - Ashley Young. Who'd have thought. 

Also in other news anyone seen the 2 goals scored by Sc**thorpe's Josh Morris. 3 minutes apart - the second is an absolute belter

https://streamable.com/0gmqs

(not sure if that link will work - definitely worth finding if it doesnt)

8 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

True but if Arsenal had topped a champs league group with Real Madrid in it with a game to spare then most would leave the crap to one side.

I don't think that is relevant as I think if spurs had finished second in that group they would have received exactly the same free pass for those league results. Arsenal lose one game to a mid/lower table team and the hounds are out. I don't support either team but just find the contrast interesting.

6 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't think that is relevant as I think if spurs had finished second in that group they would have received exactly the same free pass for those league results. Arsenal lose one game to a mid/lower table team and the hounds are out. I don't support either team but just find the contrast interesting.

people have run out of patience with Wenger ... but as it's been 20+ years, perhaps that's not too unreasonable.

Compare and contrast with other managers. People run out of patience with Manc managers just about yearly.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

people have run out of patience with Wenger ... but as it's been 20+ years, perhaps that's not too unreasonable.

Compare and contrast with other managers. People run out of patience with Manc managers just about yearly.

Replace Spurs and Poch for Liverpool and Klopp. Liverpool would not receive the same free passes as spurs for those league results. The way I see it is Spurs are the media darlings and get away with a lot. Im not dismissing their champions league form, but I think every side should be open to criticism.

2 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Replace Spurs and Poch for Liverpool and Klopp. Liverpool would not receive the same free passes as spurs for those league results. The way I see it is Spurs are the media darlings and get away with a lot. Im not dismissing their champions league form, but I think every side should be open to criticism.

I know where you're coming from and i agree in part, but I also think there's a bit more to it than just that.

I think Spurs are also being appreciated for what they've done in taking the club up the league without having spunked load on proven players in order to do it.

It's not dissimilar to the praise that was heaped on Wenger for his (mostly fell short) 'achievements' with 'kids' (tho that was a bit different as the arse were already a proven top team).

And today, Arsenal are spunking huge money on proven players - in contrast to Spurs - and doing worse than Spurs. There's room for greater criticism of Arsenal within that.