Football 17/18

TheGayTent

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know where you're coming from and i agree in part, but I also think there's a bit more to it than just that.

I think Spurs are also being appreciated for what they've done in taking the club up the league without having spunked load on proven players in order to do it.

They've spent a fair bit. Always have really. 90m this summer, 70m last year, 100m in 2013 etc. Certainly discovered a few players which is great yeah. 

Since the Premier League began they're 5th top in terms of net spend though. Only behind City, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool (not that far behind either) yet they've only won a pisspot in 26 years and qualified for the CL what, 4 times? Its a poor enough record and this season is starting to go south for them. 

34 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I know where you're coming from and i agree in part, but I also think there's a bit more to it than just that.

I think Spurs are also being appreciated for what they've done in taking the club up the league without having spunked load on proven players in order to do it.

I accept that, but I still don't see why you cant appreciate what a club does right at the same time as discussing their flaws. You get almost no negativity from the media about spurs.

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

They've spent a fair bit. Always have really. 90m this summer, 70m last year, 100m in 2013 etc. Certainly discovered a few players which is great yeah. 

Since the Premier League began they're 5th top in terms of net spend though. Only behind City, Chelsea, Utd and Liverpool (not that far behind either) yet they've only won a pisspot in 26 years and qualified for the CL what, 4 times? Its a poor enough record and this season is starting to go south for them. 

And 92m received this summer...

Their net spend is far lower over the last few years (the years they have improved). And since the mess of spending the Bale money have bought pretty well since then without ever coming anywhere near the top spenders. 

I am really interested how they handle the next few years though. I've always held Wenger in very high regard due to the way he managed the period just after the stadium move where he kept the club near the top without spending much at all. Its something that no one else had done in the modern PL era, but with Spurs in the mddle of the same process (I realise it isnt the exact same financially) then there will be that similar comparison to see if i am right to hold Wenger up for that part of his career. 

Edited by mjsell

28 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I know Spurs have traditionally been one of the biggest spenders, but their better success in the last few years has come when they've (comparatively) slowed doing that. (the 2013 spend was money pissed up the wall, too).

Of course, a lot of that is down to having Kane, but it is what it is.

Could be worse could be Everton. Zenit appear to have blocked Fonseca at the last minute after Watford blocked Silva last week. Sam can't even be arsed to come back from Dubai to negotiate his own deal or watch the match vs West Ham tonight as he knows he holds all the cards now.

19 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Big Sam in at Everton. £6m a year!

Sammy lee too :D I wonder if he's staying in Dubai Whilst he sacks big dunc? Maybe he's hired a panic room from a rich sheik?

Edited by lost