Primavera 2018

Runnerups

19 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I got it wrong - there are 6 days of music out of the 12.

AEG bands are mostly commercial dross but they've said "We are aiming to attract the fans of credible and more independently focused artists" which bodes well for the lineup.

Sounds pretty good. Shame half of it clashes with Primavera.

Well you got QOTSA, JAY z, Chance The Rapper, Pearl Jam, Paul McCartney and that's only a small slice of AEGs artists. 

I reckon Pearl Jam could take another day with QOTSA and eagles of death metal (also AEG) as under card. 
Jay Z with Chance and Tyler the creator (if he sorts the legal issues) as undercard. 

Just guessing. 

Also Arctic Monkeys are AEG : edit

Edited by Rico_Pliskin

Pearl Jam aren't playing Primavera under Gabi's organization (literal words he said a few years ago).

I can see Björk but can't see Nick Cave + Björk + The National as headliners unless they want to lose all the young people -and they have stated very clearly that they don't- so I reckon that either Mr. Cave or Björk won't be playing unless they manage to book them a la Van Morrisson -early act not headlining-.

• Downvote 1

I think you are massively underestimating Bjork and Nick Cave's pulling power.

Last year they had 4 acts in the top line of the poster

They could have Nick Cave + Bjork + The National + ......(for example) Chance the Rapper or Arctic Monkeys or Smashing Pumpkins 

And they would end up selling out again and plenty of young people as always.

• Downvote 1

Don't get me wrong, I know how big  they are and they would be an amazing pair of headliners but we're coming from an unusual edition where Gabi & co promoted new blood to the high part of the line-up. The first four names were Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean and the xx, all of them being a massive draw for young people. IMO, it would be very weird to follow those names with Nick Cave, Björk, The National.

If you want to add Chance the Rapper/Arctic Monkeys to the mix then at least two of the five names wouldn't headline, and that's not happening. Even if they pulled off something similar to what they did in 2014 (The National + Chance, Björk + Nick Cave and ? + ?) we'd be talking some Coachella-wise line-up.

My personal opinion: either Nick Cave or Björk ain't happening or they are headlining together with some Anderson .Paak/massive draw for the young demographic as third name.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean and the xx - 'new blood'??

The debuts of three of those was around a decade ago.

AF - 2004

BI - 2007

XX - 2009

And the National are barely older, certainly in terms of fame.

I see last year with the 'new blood' as the exception.

After all, you could equally say would be it very weird to follow year after year after year of headliners that were mostly of a 90s vintage with Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean and the xx. More likely we are just reverting to the norm next year.

3 hours ago, xxialac said:

Arcade Fire, Bon Iver, Frank Ocean and the xx - 'new blood'??

How many big festivals had Bon Iver, Frank Ocean or the xx headlined before Primavera? I thought I made my point very clear when I used the 'young blood' phrase since I didn't mean new bands but new headliners. 

Gabi said they didn't want to repeat themselves -and yet they booked AF again- so I'd put money on the idea that last year's line-up was a new standard -at least at some degree- more than a one-off.

Good point. The only thing predictable is that 

Just now, Nesser said:

How many big festivals had Bon Iver, Frank Ocean or the xx headlined before Primavera? I thought I made my point very clear when I used the 'young blood' phrase since I didn't mean new bands but new headliners. 

Gabi said they didn't want to repeat themselves -and yet they booked AF again- so I'd put money on the idea that last year's line-up was a new standard -at least at some degree- more than a one-off.

Fair enough.

I think they evaluate who is out there on their merits each year and I don't think they would hesitate to book Nick Cave and Bjork if they felt that would make the event a commercial success without losing artistic credibility. Everything else is surely secondary.

1 minute ago, rhg_99 said:

I think they're more likely for Benicassim, in which case they wont play Primavera which is fine with me.

I think you're right.

I'm also hoping that the All Points East festival will have a similar lineup to PV and put the breaks on the the British numbers a bit, which have been growing every year.

It's still manageable but for me PV would lose its fantastic Catalan identity if too many more came over attracted by the sun and more commercial headliners (and I say this as a British person).

1 minute ago, xxialac said:

I'm also hoping that the All Points East festival will have a similar lineup to PV and put the breaks on the the British numbers a bit, which have been growing every year.

It's still manageable but for me PV would lose its fantastic Catalan identity if too many more came over attracted by the sun and more commercial headliners (and I say this as a British person).

Yeah I'm with you on that. I've only been once (2016) and although it was great to be surrounded by lots of other Brits who we could easily chat to it was a bit strange that there seemed to be more British people than Catalans/Spaniards.

I already think there will be more British people there this year as there's no Glastonbury and I expect lots of people will want to do Primavera as a replacement.