Car Parks & Routes 2017

MJP

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So basically the vast majority of people will know nothing of these until they turn down a road and find out that its closed? Will that not cause traffic issues itself? Forcing cars to stop and turn around and find other routes? It would seem to me that if you are going to close roads and expect thousands of cars into the area you may want to give folk a good heads up, or am I missing something?

7 minutes ago, richroet said:

Looking at the road plan it looks as if you may be wrong there - unless I am missing something.

The only restrictions I can see on the B3136 are on the Sunday at the end of the festival and the temporary restriction of vehicles stopping.

To me looks fine for getting to the festival from Shepton Mallet 

Sorry, yes, you're right.

@WillyC3000 FYI - I was wrong. ;)

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

So basically the vast majority of people will know nothing of these until they turn down a road and find out that its closed? Will that not cause traffic issues itself? Forcing cars to stop and turn around and find other routes? It would seem to me that if you are going to close roads and expect thousands of cars into the area you may want to give folk a good heads up, or am I missing something?

The advice is to follow event signage and most people will take A-roads only, so doesn't tend to be much of an issue.

9 minutes ago, richroet said:

Glad about that - it was a great route in last year

Indeed. Took us a few hours to go from Farm Rd to Fosse Ln with all the east fields traffic. We then continued on 361 to 3136... less than 20 minutes from Fosse Ln to parked in Ashcome.

1 hour ago, WillyC3000 said:

So B3136 out of Shepton should get us over to the west car parks? Perfect :D

Yes.  There appear to be no restrictions on the B3136/A361 junction until 0600 on Sunday when it closes eastwards and the B3136 becomes one-way going north.

Theoretically therefore you should be able to use the B3136 from Shepton Mallet, and then turn right onto the A361 to head down through the village to West carparks.

From south London: M3 then A303 and A37. (Sat Nav TA11 7DP).
• From Swindon: M4 then A350 onto the A361. (Sat Nav BA4 4LY).
• From the North East: A1 or M1, M25 to M3 (Junction 12), then A303 and A37. (Sat Nav TA11 7DP)
• From the Midlands: Preferably M40 and A34 to A303 and A37. (Sat Nav TA11 7DP)
• From the North West: M6, M5 to A39 (Junction 23) then A361. (Sat Nav BA6 9XE)
• From Wales: M4, M5 to A39 (as above) (Sat Nav BA6 9XE)
• For more local traffic using the A37 North or A361 East (Sat Nav BA4 4LY)

PLEASE NOTE – your satnav will not get you all the way to the Festival site but to the start of the Festival signage. Please follow the Festival signs as soon as you see those.

It is important that you approach the site on the side that you want to park. Using local roads to get to the opposite side of the site causes delays so use main roads that are well away from the site. A few extra miles travelled further away can save hours in queues near to the site. Always follow the directional signs, variable message signs and park where directed by staff.

Just a reminder of their official advice before people go careering off down side roads.  This is from http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-car/ so the A361 approaching from the M5 side should be open.  By all means have a backup plan, alternative route if there are issues but I'm sure the festival would appreciate people following the tried and tested approach learned over dozens of festivals in all conditions, including their learnings from last year.

56 minutes ago, VolumetricFox said:

Just a reminder of their official advice before people go careering off down side roads.  This is from http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-car/ so the A361 approaching from the M5 side should be open.  By all means have a backup plan, alternative route if there are issues but I'm sure the festival would appreciate people following the tried and tested approach learned over dozens of festivals in all conditions, including their learnings from last year.

Absolutely right :)

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Also closed eastwards from 0001 on Tuesday 20th... which confuses me as how is any traffic going to get in the A361 heading to East parking if it's blocked there? :huh:

Ok this is an odd one....last year the restriction on the A361/A39 junction just West of Glastonbury town said:-

"A361 Street Road from its junction with the A39 (Wirral Park roundabout) for a distance of approximately 40 metres eastwards from 0600 hours on Monday the 27th of June 2016 until 2100 hours on Monday the 27th of June 2016."

This would suggest that no eastbound traffic was permitted to allow improved flow of traffic away from the festival site on Monday but that the A361 quite naturally was open to traffic heading to the festival beforehand.

However this year the restriction says:-

"A361 Street Road from its junction with the A39 (Wirral Park roundabout) for a distance of approximately 40 metres eastwards from 0100 hours on Tuesday the 20th of June 2017 until 2100 hours on Monday the 26th of June 2017. (Monday 26th closure 0930 until 2100)."

This would (oddly) suggest that traffic heading to the festival from Street direction will not be able to use the A361 after 0100 Tuesday, which if so would impact anyone who used that route before to get to Orange, Yellow, West CV etc.

In both cases the restriction applies to all,vehicles except for residents, pass holders and service vehicles - which to my mind would not include general festival traffic.

????

I'd spotted that about the Wirral Park roundabout and thought it didn't make sense either. Only thing I can think is they're looping people round the other side of Glastonbury to take them right a couple of roundabouts later.

I came in the Street way a couple of years ago and seem to remember the sign was showing that way, but I ignored it so don't know which way they actually took you!

13 hours ago, parsonjack said:

You could use the Lower Westholme road route but you won't be able to get out onto A361 and would get parked in Pink.

Might do Higher Westholme Road - assuming I can join the A361 from there?

I'm not planning on being near the site until 1pm Wed, hopefully the roads have quietened down anyway and the route through Shepton Mallet is easy peasy.

I normally get on the A303 and follow the first car I see stuffed full of camping gear until I notice a sign for the East Car Parks. 

Although admittedly one year i ended up at Center Parcs Longleat Forest with a lovely couple and their children from Wantage.

32 minutes ago, Stu H said:

Might do Higher Westholme Road - assuming I can join the A361 from there?

I'm not planning on being near the site until 1pm Wed, hopefully the roads have quietened down anyway and the route through Shepton Mallet is easy peasy.

Afraid not.  Higher Westholme Road also closed at junction with A361.

You would be better coming from Shepton on B3136 and then turning right onto A361 to head west down through Pilton village and left into yellow or orange parking.