New security measures in place

brettredmayne

2 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

My group was talking about this the yesterday, and now we're a bit worried since two in our group have 'Muhammad' as their first name on the ticket 

To make things worse, they are not arriving the same time with the others, as we only managed to bag tickets for them on the coach resale. So its gonna be two 'Muhammad', with brown skin, arriving together, and we are aware how that might cause a bit of concern in today's current climate :( 

We're just a bit worried if they are going to have difficulty getting in the festival now due to that...

Surely they can't have any difficulty getting in if when searched they are found with nothing?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

My group was talking about this the yesterday, and now we're a bit worried since two in our group have 'Muhammad' as their first name on the ticket 

To make things worse, they are not arriving the same time with the others, as we only managed to bag tickets for them on the coach resale. So its gonna be two 'Muhammad', with brown skin, arriving together, and we are aware how that might cause a bit of concern in today's current climate :( 

We're just a bit worried if they are going to have difficulty getting in the festival now due to that...

I don't think they will. Sadly, they may be picked out for a search, but assuming they have their tickets and their photos are fine and they're not trying to bring in other stuff (drugs) that might make things awkward for them, they'll be fine, I'm sure. 

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

3 minutes ago, defrio29 said:

They're not going to turn you away because of your name, you may however unfortunately be searched, just be prepared for it to happen. :(

The queues are going to be grim. Ironically, taking a chair now seems like a pretty good idea despite them trying to tell people not to bring them.

It is what it is. Everyone can (probably) understand the need for increased bag searching following Manchester. The decision will have been taken by the Home Office/Police, not the festival. The increased searches are going to be focused on weapons/explosives, in light of the increased threat. Chances are they might find more drugs, but that's not what this is all about. As long as people take the normal precautions as they normally do, they'll be fine.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a minor inconvenience.

3 minutes ago, EFC1996 said:

I'm just hoping in light of recent events, it some how creates an even better atmosphere of love and unity this year. We will not be beaten :rolleyes:

Damn fuckin' straight.

Brexit threatened to put a downer on last year, but the Friday had a fantastic atmosphere, a true sense that even if the world is going to shit, we will not be stopped enjoying ourselves. I truly believe this feeling will carry over to this year.

I'm useless at travelling light and like saving the cash in terms of the booze brought with. If it takes longer, so be it! 

@EFC1996 - I'll be making more of an effort to chat to people this yea, we're all people who have a common love for music. And no, we will not be beaten. I intend on singing louder and dancing more (I was going to say better but that's a lie!)
We're all in it together, to enjoy ourselves, to make memories and that's exactly what I'm going to the festival for. Fun and make memories with my friends and hopefully, new friends. All singing the same song, in that moment together!

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

The queues are going to be grim. Ironically, taking a chair now seems like a pretty good idea despite them trying to tell people not to bring them.

It is what it is. Everyone can (probably) understand the need for increased bag searching following Manchester. The decision will have been taken by the Home Office/Police, not the festival. The increased searches are going to be focused on weapons/explosives, in light of the increased threat. Chances are they might find more drugs, but that's not what this is all about. As long as people take the normal precautions as they normally do, they'll be fine.

In the grand scheme of things, it's a minor inconvenience.

You say minor inconvenience but just to properly check everyones bags tents etc will take 10 minutes and then you have reentry when people go back to cars,

If the festival really are searching every bag it could be quite a wait to get in.

yeah, the thing about the extra search would be that due to arrangements (them arriving a bit later), they won't be bringing any of the tent - just all of our chairs, so that might even make them look more suspicious.

just want to ensure everyone that neither one of them is an extremist, far from it, by the time the festival rolls in they'll be high on alcohol and drugs just like all of us will be :lol:

5 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Damn fuckin' straight.

Brexit threatened to put a downer on last year, but the Friday had a fantastic atmosphere, a true sense that even if the world is going to shit, we will not be stopped enjoying ourselves. I truly believe this feeling will carry over to this year.

Exactly. The feeling will be stronger I'm sure of it. Let's all stop over reacting. Bring a chair to the queue and a few cans and be prepared to wait a little while and fucking enjoy ourselves. Glastonbury is here :wub:

@sheffieldlady - These words exactly. My belly fluttered a little when I read that. I will also be doing the same, making more of an effort to speak to people and spread the love. 

Edited by EFC1996

1 minute ago, brettredmayne said:

You say minor inconvenience but just to properly check everyones bags tents etc will take 10 minutes and then you have reentry when people go back to cars,

If the festival really are searching every bag it could be quite a wait to get in.

I don't think it would be logistically possible to check everyone's bag, sure there will be more checks than usual, but I am just not sure they will be able to facilitate a bag search for every bag!?

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

A few years ago I got stopped going in and searched. The security team told me that if I had anything on me then to hand it over and I'd be let in. If they went through my stuff and they found anything I'd be in trouble depending on what they found.

I only had a small amount of weed on me so I just handed it over, wasn't worth the hassle.

I always assumed that was a trick they used to get you to give up your stuff without them having to search for it. I still think if you brought out class As they'd prosecute you. 

A s soon as I read them asking you to pack light, I could hear the traders on site cheer. They charge a premium, if they charges the same prices as you get at your local shop I would agree. But they don't.

sad state of affairs in these worrying times

4 minutes ago, stopwn1981 said:

Longer wait + beer = I hope to god they think to set up some toilets outside the gates!

I am worried about the toilet situation with extensive queueing, my bladder capacity is terrible! 

9 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Looking for weapons is a lot easier (and quicker) than looking for drugs. I very much doubt they'll search every bag with the level of scrutiny as others. In fact, who's to say every bag will get a proper search at all? I know they've said they will, but that doesn't mean they actually will. Just saying they will will act as a deterrent of sorts.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I always assumed that was a trick they used to get you to give up your stuff without them having to search for it. I still think if you brought out class As they'd prosecute you. 

Yep it absolutely is. 

And whether or not you'd get prosecuted if you brought out a class A depends mainly on who you are and what the coppers prejudices are. If your face dont fit? You're nicked son

4 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep it absolutely is. 

And whether or not you'd get prosecuted if you brought out a class A depends mainly on who you are and what the coppers prejudices are. If your face dont fit? You're nicked son

Members of the Conservative Youth breathe a sigh of relief! 

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

Yep it absolutely is. 

'Someone' on this thread once said "How can you speak with such certainty?".

You're a knob russy but I would miss you if you weren't here :-)

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

16 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

They flat out said that they were primarily concerned with crystals and powders and if they found any I'd be in real trouble. I gave them a little weed and they sent me on my way.

My mates and I realised two important things, firstly to separate your stash between the group so if one gets caught you haven't lost everything. Secondly if you do get searched it's not a terrible idea to have a small amount separated that you can give up to stop them going further...

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

They flat out said that they were primarily concerned with crystals and powders and if they found any I'd be in real trouble. I gave them a little weed and they sent me on my way.

My mates and I realised two important things, firstly to separate your stash between the group so if one gets caught you haven't lost everything. Secondly if you do get searched it's not a terrible idea to have a small amount separated that you can give up to stop them going further...

I seem to remember some people in the past saying once they gave up the weed they actually then got a more extensive search - like Russy said, if they don't like the look of you they'll pounce on you.