Radiohead, The XX, Royal Blood
Major Lazer

Saturday
Foo Fighters, Biffy Clyro, Lorde
Alt J, BBK

Sunday
Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Chic, Barry Gib
The National

it literally makes sense for it to be this way, it will be this way... plz stop predicting otherwise :(

National billed high on poster because they are a really big other headliner. Biffy aint gonna headline other stage when they are the perfect foos warm up act

I've noticed a few people predicting that Royal Blood will play on the Friday, but it looks like they're at a festival in Germany (http://royalbloodband.com/). Surely it would make more sense to put them on before Biffy on the Saturday?

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Yehyeh1990 said:

I've noticed a few people predicting that Royal Blood will play on the Friday, but it looks like they're at a festival in Germany (http://royalbloodband.com/). Surely it would make more sense to put them on before Biffy on the Saturday?

They can only do Friday that's why people are saying this, as playing festivals Saturday and Sunday 

17 minutes ago, shoptildrop said:

They can only do Friday that's why people are saying this, as playing festivals Saturday and Sunday 

Ah. If you search "Royal blood tour dates" in Google, it says they're playing Southside Festival on Friday 23rd June. Maybe that's inaccurate though.

I'm trying to get the idea of where The National are a really big Other Stage headliner?. They haven't really done anything more than what an Other sub would do, in fact there has been some in the past that have done more.

I agree though that putting them on the Other against Sheeran with their niche crowd probably wouldn't get the response for them to have agreed to play, it might be that it's questioned whether they would get lost on the Pyramid but at least before Radiohead it all links and people there for the sub aren't going theory just be waiting for them. The XX on the Other hand I feel are bigger and have a much wider audience with some recognised radio play possibly etc which will pull them a crowd on Other and this time would be them at the top as actual headliners so it's kind of moving up a spot. If they weren't accepting or didn't want to play 2nd down last time then agreeing to do that again to Radiohead or not would not make much sense. 

I still think is a glimmer of hope though that RH may still have a different sub, with National 3rd, Royal Blood sub Other and Justice topping the WHs stage but that it probably too strong a bet.

1 hour ago, Yehyeh1990 said:

Ah. If you search "Royal blood tour dates" in Google, it says they're playing Southside Festival on Friday 23rd June. Maybe that's inaccurate though.

mmmh interesting, I hadn't looked myself just went off the numerous comments here that they were only free Friday and with them playing Eden sessions on Thursday it seemed logical before they were announced...

I stand corrected....will be interesting to where they play then

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

I'm trying to get the idea of where The National are a really big Other Stage headliner?. They haven't really done anything more than what an Other sub would do, in fact there has been some in the past that have done more.

I agree though that putting them on the Other against Sheeran with their niche crowd probably wouldn't get the response for them to have agreed to play, it might be that it's questioned whether they would get lost on the Pyramid but at least before Radiohead it all links and people there for the sub aren't going theory just be waiting for them. The XX on the Other hand I feel are bigger and have a much wider audience with some recognised radio play possibly etc which will pull them a crowd on Other and this time would be them at the top as actual headliners so it's kind of moving up a spot. If they weren't accepting or didn't want to play 2nd down last time then agreeing to do that again to Radiohead or not would not make much sense. 

I still think is a glimmer of hope though that RH may still have a different sub, with National 3rd, Royal Blood sub Other and Justice topping the WHs stage but that it probably too strong a bet.

Look at the fervour for The National on here. I know efests isn't representative of the festival, far from it. But they'll definitely have more than enough pull at Glastonbury from their niche to get a sizeable crowd. The absolute minimum they'll get is a smaller but very appreciative crowd much like LCD did, which is not a bad thing whatsoever. They're a live rarity in these parts, or have been for the last few years.

My own feeling is that they'll sub Radiohead, and it may even be that Radiohead had some involvement in that too. But to suggest they're not big enough to headline the Other is ludicrous, there have obviously been larger Other headliners, but equally some smaller ones too. 

8 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Plus, National fans are obsessive. There won't be many that are swayed to see something else. 

Exactly, the crossover with Sheeran is pretty much zero as well. They'll pull a bigger crowd than LCD last year if they headline Other on the Sunday. In fact I reckon they'd pull more than Alt J, who are likely to have quite a bit of their prospective crowd pulled away by the Fighters of Foo.

48 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Look at the fervour for The National on here. I know efests isn't representative of the festival, far from it. But they'll definitely have more than enough pull at Glastonbury from their niche to get a sizeable crowd. The absolute minimum they'll get is a smaller but very appreciative crowd much like LCD did, which is not a bad thing whatsoever. They're a live rarity in these parts, or have been for the last few years.

My own feeling is that they'll sub Radiohead, and it may even be that Radiohead had some involvement in that too. But to suggest they're not big enough to headline the Other is ludicrous, there have obviously been larger Other headliners, but equally some smaller ones too. 

That's fair, tbh LCD could have easily got away with lower than other. They are a rarity as you say, I'm saying they aren't big enough but it was said they were a very big Other headliner where I just feel they are a standard sized one. Not my thing but Radiohead 1st time in however long and The National is decent, as I said it would really be too strong. 

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Which is odd, as they're in the 'fine, but not revelatory' category.

QOTSA's similar exponential year on year profile increase is another baffler.

QOTSA released one of the best rock albums in recent memory with ...Like Clockwork so every bump in popularity is well deserved.

3 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

QOTSA released one of the best rock albums in recent memory with ...Like Clockwork so every bump in popularity is well deserved.

Yeah QOTSA have got the back catalogue yet also continue to release high quality material that continues to increase their fanbase with the younger generation. I don't listen to the radio much but I'm sure when My God Is The Sun came out it got a hell of a lot of mainstream airplay. Plus they have a reputation as a fantastic live band.

Would love Glastonbury to give them a go at headlining the Pyramid, I'm sure they'd nail it.

The National seem fairly comparable to LCD in that sense. Not the biggest band on paper by any means, but they have a very devoted fanbase and will put on a headline worthy show. I think the presence and back catalogue that they have (same with LCD), elevates them above other acts and puts them in that sub headliner/Other headliner bracket, even though they may not have the same record sales/streaming numbers/whatever as other acts in those slots.

4 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

heard it a couple of times at a mates, but I have to admit I haven't listened properly. Like Rated R and Songs for the deaf, but they are a slog. Lullabies to paralyse left me a little cold and era vulgaris even more so. Keep meaning to revisit like clockwork but never got round to it. 

It's probably their best flowing album and most consistent thematically. Good songs on both but I think they were in a bit of a post-breakthrough rut with Lullabies and Era Vulgaris, but they broke out of it on LC. I prefer Rated R, and I suppose SFTD and S/T but LC is more of a captivating listen. You oughta check out the debut, by the way.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

The National seem fairly comparable to LCD in that sense. Not the biggest band on paper by any means, but they have a very devoted fanbase and will put on a headline worthy show. I think the presence and back catalogue that they have (same with LCD), elevates them above other acts and puts them in that sub headliner/Other headliner bracket, even though they may not have the same record sales/streaming numbers/whatever as other acts in those slots.

Yeah they have something going for them. Definitely not a 'big' Other headliner as Matt described but they've got the pedigree for that slot now and are bigger than they've ever been. Still think they'll sub Pyramid but either/or really.

QOTSA got a good crowd in 2011.

I dont think Sheeran's crowd will be as big as coldplays was last year. Those who baffling enjoy Sheeran, really love him - but he has a lot of people who feel the polar opposite & wouldnt be seen dead there. Coldplay dont seem have that as much. (Away from this board anyway)

His crowd will obviously be massive. Bigger than Radiohead's, but I cant see it being monumental. 

The national could pull a decent crowd if they are sunday other headliners.

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

QOTSA got a good crowd in 2011.

I dont think Sheeran's crowd will be as big as coldplays was last year. Those who baffling enjoy Sheeran, really love him - but he has a lot of people who feel the polar opposite & wouldnt be seen dead there. Coldplay dont seem have that as much. (Away from this board anyway)

His crowd will obviously be massive. Bigger than Radiohead's, but I cant see it being monumental. 

The national could pull a decent crowd if they are sunday other headliners.

Coldplay have a more far reaching appeal, plus last year I reckon after the slog through the mud it was quite a few people were happy to say fuck it and land themselves in front of the Pyramid knowing they'd know all the songs and there'd be a good stageshow.

Nowt wrong with that at all, and I think that's partly why LCD's crowd was so phenomenal - Coldplay took all the wavering maybes and floating fans away so you were left with the diehards who were gonna go hard regardless of the conditions.

1 minute ago, kingbadger said:

Coldplay have a more far reaching appeal, plus last year I reckon after the slog through the mud it was quite a few people were happy to say fuck it and land themselves in front of the Pyramid knowing they'd know all the songs and there'd be a good stageshow.

Nowt wrong with that at all, and I think that's partly why LCD's crowd was so phenomenal - Coldplay took all the wavering maybes and floating fans away so you were left with the diehards who were gonna go hard regardless of the conditions.

I was at Cyndi Lauper... everyone there walked up that hill. We all wanted to be there!

10 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I was at Cyndi Lauper... everyone there walked up that hill. We all wanted to be there!

Kudos to you! I've still yet to see an act at the Acoustic. Never seen one on West Holts either, but definitely making up for that this year! 

Could see something like

Friday

Pyramid: Radiohead, The XX

Other: Major Lazer, Stormzy, BBK

Saturday

Pyramid: Foo Fighters, Biffy, Royal Blood

Other: Alt-J, Lorde, Phoenix

Sunday

Pyramid: Ed Sheeran, Katy Perry, Barry Gibb

Other: The National

Edited by rzwodezwo

5 hours ago, Yehyeh1990 said:

4 hours ago, shoptildrop said:

mmmh interesting, I hadn't looked myself just went off the numerous comments here that they were only free Friday and with them playing Eden sessions on Thursday it seemed logical before they were announced...

I stand corrected....will be interesting to where they play then

It says Friday covering the 3 dates for Southside then Hurricane, it means at most I'd say that Southside is their 1st date then Hurricane for the weekend. I don't see any reason at all to do Eden then not go to Glasto straight away.