Festival on the wall

Muppetmark

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More info

A personal allowance of eight cans of beer/cider or a bottle of wine per person. No spirits are allowed. Sealed soft drinks are permitted. Food traders will include gluten-free options.

-----------------

I'd like to see how that goes down ! That gets drunk by 8pm on day 1 of most of the festivals I've been to 

23 minutes ago, ramragon said:

More info

A personal allowance of eight cans of beer/cider or a bottle of wine per person. No spirits are allowed. Sealed soft drinks are permitted. Food traders will include gluten-free options.

-----------------

I'd like to see how that goes down ! That gets drunk by 8pm on day 1 of most of the festivals I've been to 

it's at the extreme end of alcohol restrictions, tho it's not anything some other festies aren't already doing.

Just now, ramragon said:

Do they try and police it at most festivals or is it one of those rules like 'no portable bbq's in the campsite' that gets blatantly ignored ?

I'm not a massive drinker at festivals cos I usually take a toddler but even for me that's extreme

Seems to be heading that way with a fair few festivals. Boomtown has a limited and counted cans on the way into festival. 

These festivals have massive bills to pay. Or the bar companies have massive bills to pay the organisers,  so need they something in place to guarantee some income. 

15 minutes ago, craigb said:

These festivals have massive bills to pay. Or the bar companies have massive bills to pay the organisers,  so need they something in place to guarantee some income. 

Yep, it's that - and it's income they can get long in advance too, to help them put the whole thing together.

I'm not going to be too critical of festies that have tight restrictions because I've got some grasp of everything they have to try and juggle to make the whole thing work, tho at the same time I dislike this sort of thing and it does deter me from going places I might otherwise go to.

I think if someone is able to carry it, they should be allowed it in the campsite myself. I know people who wont go to a festival with those restrictions, and for a new festival esp, they need as much sales for the first year.

But at least its being said now openly, rather than sneakily like with secret garden party

Edited by zahidf

Just now, zahidf said:

But at least its being said now openly, rather than sneakily like with secret garden party

To be fair, Secret Garden party had made no secret of their alcohol restrictions. They were all there in black and white on the festival's own website.

Until they took everything about alcohol restrictions off when a fuss kicked off about them.

SGP has had tight restrictions anyway.  There's no mention of any restrictions currently, which I can't believe how it'll be this year given what they've done in the past and what they put up and the n took down .... so when they put something back up, people are going to feel more-shafted than if they'd kept the new "no alcohol at all" restrictions in place.

27 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

To be fair, Secret Garden party had made no secret of their alcohol restrictions. They were all there in black and white on the festival's own website.

Until they took everything about alcohol restrictions off when a fuss kicked off about them.

SGP has had tight restrictions anyway.  There's no mention of any restrictions currently, which I can't believe how it'll be this year given what they've done in the past and what they put up and the n took down .... so when they put something back up, people are going to feel more-shafted than if they'd kept the new "no alcohol at all" restrictions in place.

Ah fair enough. I thought they changed stuff after tickets had been on sale. 

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Ah fair enough. I thought they changed stuff after tickets had been on sale. 

ah, they did.

And they've changed them again - to currently nothing - and I think it's unlikely they won't be changed again, to something.

But I don't think the T&Cs changing after ticket went on sale was anything about them deliberately trying to shaft people, it was probably more just the case of the order that these different things came around.

It would have been better to all have been in advance of ticket sales, of course, but I don't think it was them 'sneakily' changing the rules, it was just them changing the alcohol rules when they had the thought of changing the rules. 

It'll probably piss people off more-because they've got used to the previous rules, rather than a specific dislike of the new tighter rules, I reckon (tho the newer rules are objectionable in themselves).

This looks like a family-orientated one to me. Hmm, 10,000 capacity? It's being billed as a boutique festival, so can't see it being anymore than that.

10,000 tickets to shift in the North East - plus Cumbria, Yorkshire and Scotland commuters.

Hmmm. Intrigued. Could easily see the plug being pulled early as it's not been hugely well publicized - but it could fly quite well if only ten thousand capacity (roughly the same as Metro Radio Arena).

Any bigger than that? It'll struggle. Unless there's a third headliner incoming whose outrageously good - and with the price of those Early Bird tickets, it wouldn't surprise me. Seems like a northern Latitude vibe or is that just me?

38 minutes ago, naarjtie said:

'Boutique on a big scale' is the tagline. I believe nearer 25,000.

Sounds about what I was expecting. Similar to Y Not and Kendal Calling, but those built up over the years with committed regulars rather than jumping in at the deep end - and it's also not that far from actual Kendal. I think that tagline is so ambiguous that it probably doesn't mean a lot to anyone trying to get an idea of what it will be like.

Would love the option of a good festival so close to home. I won't be going this year, and I also think the ticket prices are far too high for a first year. Think they should have offered day tickets, rather than straight in at premium price weekend tickets only. 

4 hours ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Hmmm. Intrigued. Could easily see the plug being pulled early as it's not been hugely well publicized - but it could fly quite well if only ten thousand capacity (roughly the same as Metro Radio Arena).

It's not had a national press release yet. That's coming soon. Had more of a "soft" launch / announcement. 

2 hours ago, craigb said:

It's not had a national press release yet. That's coming soon. Had more of a "soft" launch / announcement. 

Soft launch approach? Seriously? 

So a 50% deposit scheme balance to be paid by 1st of April! It's only 7 weeks away ? Is it worth the extra admin for 7 weeks?

a pity full presence on social media .

if you google the 2 people's names in this article they don't appear to have had previous experience in this kind of event.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/pet-shop-boys-mark-ronson-12537824

£170 a ticket with booze restrictions. 

Upto £10 per ticket goes to UNICEF I bet they don't see a penny! 

Im really interested in this it's a shame it's a week after Kendal , would of defo tried it if it August BH it's only 50mins from me .

fingers crossed it goes ahead but it's all a bit pie in the sky ! Or maybe they just got the build it and they will come attitude.

time will tell .

1 minute ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Soft launch approach? Seriously? 

So a 50% deposit scheme balance to be paid by 1st of April! It's only 7 weeks away ? Is it worth the extra admin for 7 weeks?

a pity full presence on social media .

if you google the 2 people's names in this article they don't appear to have had previous experience in this kind of event.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/pet-shop-boys-mark-ronson-12537824

£170 a ticket with booze restrictions. 

Upto £10 per ticket goes to UNICEF I bet they don't see a penny! 

Im really interested in this it's a shame it's a week after Kendal , would of defo tried it if it August BH it's only 50mins from me .

fingers crossed it goes ahead but it's all a bit pie in the sky ! Or maybe they just got the build it and they will come attitude.

time will tell .

I'm only going by what I've been told. There has been no national press release yet and it's coming. So I would expect a lot more marketing to come. There is a good reason why I think it may have had no national press release as such yet. 

1 minute ago, craigb said:

I'm only going by what I've been told. There has been no national press release yet and it's coming. So I would expect a lot more marketing to come. There is a good reason why I think it may have had no national press release as such yet. 

Not having a pop at you over it mate I just think it smells a bit ! 

Brand new festival promoted by what appears to be by people new to the industry with no experience but a line up that several medium size fests that have been established for sometime would defo have as a line up !

the soft approach line up makes me think there are things behind the scenes not finalised and deals done on .

1 minute ago, LOCHLAND5 said:

Not having a pop at you over it mate I just think it smells a bit ! 

Brand new festival promoted by what appears to be by people new to the industry with no experience but a line up that several medium size fests that have been established for sometime would defo have as a line up !

the soft approach line up makes me think there are things behind the scenes not finalised and deals done on .

I don't think it's anything to do with the credentials of the organisers. Every festival starts from somewhere! Some of the best medium festivals around at the min started as house parties, garden parties, a bunch of mates organising and attending. 

They do seemed to have hit the ground running with that line up though! Nowadays you need a combo of half decent line up and all the festival novelties to attract a crowd. 

The acts have been sharing the details on their socials. Just not much of a national press release yet.

The wife was interested until I told her it was  £170!!! Also,I don't really know what is it yet. Acts are very diverse so no idea what crowd it's aiming for. You mentioned family festival but there's no mention of things for kids. Other festivals in the north east like lindisfarne, hardwick live, willowman and deer shed have survived because they have a definite identity.  We'll keep checking to see how it pans out but I do worry for it.