Mendip Scrutiny Board notes

VolumetricFox

Huge credit to the teams keeping the show on the road.  An example is given;

"In one case the MDC food inspector came across an area at the back of Hides market where the ground conditions were so appalling that access to the rear of the food stalls would have been impossible for fire fighting purposes. [.....] She was of the opinion that the safety of the traders would have been compromised if there had been a fire [.....] The infrastructure team worked hard overnight to remove large quantities of mud and reopen the fire lane and the traders were able to continue working."

I mean this is off the scale of Glastonbury nerdiness,  but strangely quite interesting!  Who knew that there were 5748 toilets on site, plus 700 metres of urinals which exceeds the 1 toilet per 75 people recommendations?

1 hour ago, nodolphie said:

For 2017: "Review the provision of late night entertainment to better meet demand and improve the customer experience. "

been discussed a lot on here but they're between a rock and a hard place aren't they? SE corner is the designated area as it can be louder down there, but there's only a finite amount of room.

Short of being able to be louder in other areas of the site later on I don't really see what it is they can meaningfully do.

Especially since, on the other hand, there continues to be complaints about late night noise - albeit not that many.

Edited by Memory Man

Thought this was interesting...

"However this year highlighted that Glastonbury Festival Events Limited must have equal regard to the community outside the fence as it does with fee paying guests. The wellbeing of the local residents and the impact on local business must be considered when making strategic decisions and balanced against the desire to ensure that ‘the show must go on"

Sounds a little bit like a shot across the bow....perhaps suggesting that the festival should have been cancelled in the tues morning when it became clear the chaos that was unfolding?

9 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Sounds a little bit like a shot across the bow....perhaps suggesting that the festival should have been cancelled in the tues morning when it became clear the chaos that was unfolding?

Don't think it's that at all. I doubt that was ever a real consideration for either GFL or MDC. It's just a suggestion that GFL should have paid more attention to the community around them. If there's anything to read into it, it'll be that the gates should have opened as scheduled to get traffic off the roads quicker, and maybe open more routes in to the car parks, rather than delay things to try and let the CV fields drain on the Tuesday.

To be honest, this years report is exceptionally mundane. It might have been expected that the council would give GFL a proper kicking over the traffic issues, but instead they've chosen simply to say "must do better", and move on. Any criticism in there is minor compared to the last couple years, and often offset by praise for reacting well to the circumstances. Whereas after the previous 2 festivals, they made some much more serious threats over the stream & ground pollution largely caused by people pissing in hedges etc.

I think it's nice to read things like "review the provision of late night entertainment to better meet demand and improve the customer experience" in the report.

They could quite easily have made arguments against SE corner being there at all but instead they're basically saying people love it so make it better and more enjoyable. Nice one Mendip District Council.

My main concern from reading the report is that the licensing service is going to be outsourced to Capita.

1 hour ago, giantkatestacks said:

Muse breaching their noise limits and locals having to put up with people shitting in their gardens due to traffic the main things that stood out for me.

"The poo I'm not happy about, but at the end of the day it's a bodily function and if you have to go you have to go; but dear God I have to draw the line at Muse." said one local resident.

52 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Thought this was interesting...

"However this year highlighted that Glastonbury Festival Events Limited must have equal regard to the community outside the fence as it does with fee paying guests. The wellbeing of the local residents and the impact on local business must be considered when making strategic decisions and balanced against the desire to ensure that ‘the show must go on"

I think you're reading too much into it. There's usually some similar paragraph in each years debrief.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the traffic chaos and the effect it would have had for locals (we stayed at the Cross Keys Inn on the Tuesday, and none of the day staff could get to work, which would have been echoed across the whole area) - but our complaint from North Curry (over 23 miles away from Pilton) does come across as your typical Daily Mail reader rallying against the festival, rather than anything specific!  

The complaint about it being the same as 2009 - I know there were queues that year, but I don't recall it being that bad?

And people shitting in people's gardens??  I can almost hear some of my old school teachers now - "would you shit in your own front garden?  I don't think you would"!!