The Park 2017

Tuna

I saw them last May and completely agree that they'd be perfect headlining the park. 

6 hours ago, Woffy said:

Ola, Robin, old chum. Where do I start with GY!BE? Always been intrigued by the snippets I've heard. 

Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven is ther most well received album, though I prefer F# A# Infinity. 

They mostly play new stuff at their shows though, which tends to be a lot more noise and drone driven. I like pretty much everything they've done. 

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, CHRLY said:

I saw them last May and completely agree that they'd be perfect headlining the park. 

Lift Yr Skinny Fists Like Antennas To Heaven is ther most well received album, though I prefer F# A# Infinity. 

They mostly play new stuff at their shows though, which tends to be a lot more noise and drone driven. I like pretty much everything they've done. 

Thanks CHRLY. 

16 hours ago, Woffy said:

Ola, Robin, old chum. Where do I start with GY!BE? Always been intrigued by the snippets I've heard. 

GY!BE are one of my dream Park headliners. Absolutely gutted i had to miss their London gig last week. 

F#A#∞ and Lift Yr Skinny Fists are both great places to start. Alelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! was a real return to form as well.

Edited by Winslow Leach

7 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

GY!BE are one of my dream Park headliners. Absolutely gutted i had to miss their London gig last week. 

F#A#∞ and Lift Yr Skinny Fists are both great places to start. Alelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! was a real return to form as well.

Cheers Winslow. Seems you and CHRLY are in agreement. What cracking LP titles. As soon as the Wofflings are in bed I'm gonna dive in to this stuff. Have no idea what to expect...

7 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Have you Wiki'd them, Winslow?

There's a fucking Gaant chart of band members. Beautiful!

On 8/19/2016 at 7:53 PM, Woffy said:

Well they've only done five full albums so their catalogue is not as foreboding as one might assume. 'Lift Your Skinny Fists...' is generally regarded as their finest hour(s) but I'd say start with the first, F#A# Infinity. You can't really go wrong though as they're all great, in slightly different ways; there might be a 10 year gap between the 3rd and 4th albums but it doesn't show. Wasn't sure how it'd translate live but it was wonderful - never a dull moment.

On 8/20/2016 at 3:02 AM, CHRLY said:

The other night they opened with a few minutes of drone (much more interesting then that sounds), then played the last album in full (which sounds like Sabbath at times), a couple of older numbers and just one new tune (which was probably more accessible than anything else). Though I'm still disappointed we didn't get this Eastern monster: 

GY!BE always struck me as one of those bands that are too cool for Glastonbury to ever get. Like Joanna Newsom or Sleater-Kinney, they're too much of a big huge deal in their own niche to be bothered about Glastonbury over smaller festivals who'll fawn over them, and too niche for Glastonbury to offer them a big slot.

Just back home from Green Man in Wales, first time there. They should poach the curator of this festival to do their thing on the Park. I've never been to a festival with a line-up so stupidly well curated - half the stuff that I'd not even heard of before was incredible. I didn't see one bad act the whole weekend. Kind of speechless really.

Edited by majormajormajor

47 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

GY!BE always struck me as one of those bands that are too cool for Glastonbury to ever get. Like Joanna Newsom or Sleater-Kinney, they're too much of a big huge deal in their own niche to be bothered about Glastonbury over smaller festivals who'll fawn over them, and too niche for Glastonbury to offer them a big slot.

You'd think so, but they played Benicassim and the Pitchfork festival last year - which should mean there's no reason why they couldn't take a Park headliner slot at G.

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

You'd think so, but they played Benicassim and the Pitchfork festival last year - which should mean there's no reason why they couldn't take a Park headliner slot at G.

I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, but I don't really see them being offered that slot.

Them playing Benicassim is an odd one though.

13 hours ago, CHRLY said:

@Brave Sir Robin Did they have the whole film reel visuals going on for your show? Thought it was a really nice touch. 

They did indeed!  Very arty but the right side of pretentious, I agree, it definitely adds to the whole experience.  I'm told by longer term fans that they've been using the same footage for decades...  The new song they're playing has been labelled 'Buildings' because they have (all-new!) slo-mo shots of high-rise buildings while they play it.

On 8/22/2016 at 2:55 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Well they've only done five full albums so their catalogue is not as foreboding as one might assume. 'Lift Your Skinny Fists...' is generally regarded as their finest hour(s) but I'd say start with the first, F#A# Infinity. You can't really go wrong though as they're all great, in slightly different ways; there might be a 10 year gap between the 3rd and 4th albums but it doesn't show. Wasn't sure how it'd translate live but it was wonderful - never a dull moment.

The other night they opened with a few minutes of drone (much more interesting then that sounds), then played the last album in full (which sounds like Sabbath at times), a couple of older numbers and just one new tune (which was probably more accessible than anything else). Though I'm still disappointed we didn't get this Eastern monster: 

Mladic is a fucking monster of a track.

12 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

Should try coming up hard while Sigur Ros play Untitled 8 in JPT. I hear that works.

I said solid post-rock, not wishy washy Sigur Ros nonsense.

If A Silver Mt Zion come do Born into Trouble as the Sparks Fly Upwards in full + selected hits I will make space in my schedule.

• 5 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Do we take it from your silence on the matter that you didn't get on with GY!BE, Woffy?

Hello Robin. 

Not at all! Loving Lift Yr... a lot. 

Mrs Woffy is abroad for a week next week so I've been preparing a listening list, inc. GS!, Talk Talk and Neil Young. All stuff that I've never really dived into. 

GS! are NOT what I expected. Although I dunno what I expected. It's right up my street. 

42 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Hello Robin. 

Not at all! Loving Lift Yr... a lot. 

Mrs Woffy is abroad for a week next week so I've been preparing a listening list, inc. GS!, Talk Talk and Neil Young. All stuff that I've never really dived into. 

GS! are NOT what I expected. Although I dunno what I expected. It's right up my street. 

Been listening to Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock a lot recently, given the noise around it being the 25th anniversary of the latter.

IMO, genuine contenders for the sparking the birth of post-rock, and rightly, latterly, both appraised as classics.

It's My Life** they are not...!

:)

Ben

**which was superb electro-pop, just in no way an omen of what was to come from Hollis the GeniusTM