Tent walkabout post festival

ian the worm

Do people not hang around Monday/ Tuesday?

This isnt a new problem man, its like this and worse every year :/! As i said, personally i have seen it worse, 2013 was appauling and it has slightly improved since. 

How too solve it? God only knows.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is always going to be worse in a muddy year- people who brought stuff in on trolleys which then broke or who will never use a tent again so don't bother. Being able to buy stuff on site doesn't help either -  if you have arrived from abroad and can't take it with you there is no incentive. The rain on Monday am didn't help - what do you do with a wet tent if you live in a small flat and can't dry it out anywhere? 

We always pack up our tents and anything left behind is bagged up as rubbish and put in bins- some people around us in Kidney Mead left some good tents and camping gear- but some of the heavier tents I can see they wouldn't / couldn't take - we struggled with all our stuff and nearly killed ourselves getting up the hill of death and the mud. 

Not sure what the answer is but with tents relatively cheap it's always gonna  happen 

11 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Ian my friend, well done you for documenting this xx I think you should also share with Glasto Fest, as it could be added to their website. It really is a symptom of our consumerist, selfish society. Appealing to people's better natures just doesn't work. The only solution is more policing of the campsites, but that destroys the Glastonbury free spirit. Used to think it was just a minority that did this, but your vid showed it's now a significant minority. Perhaps we just have to accept more regulation....I dunno!

Thanks Phillipa.  

Have contacted GFL about using it.  Am not surprised by the positive comments both here and on FB.  

Hopefully it has shocked some people into changing their behavior for next year.

Thanks to all for the positive comments and suggestions made. Please share the hell out of this video on whatever social media platforms you can to help spread the message this week.  Link again.........

Cheers,

Ian xx

30 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Thanks Phillipa.  

Have contacted GFL about using it.  Am not surprised by the positive comments both here and on FB.  

Hopefully it has shocked some people into changing their behavior for next year.

Thanks to all for the positive comments and suggestions made. Please share the hell out of this video on whatever social media platforms you can to help spread the message this week.  Link again.........

Cheers,

Ian xx

Great news, Ian :-) Hope they take it up.

PS everyone, I'm not 'THAT' Philippa..... :blink:

Seeing this is truly disgusting. No other way to describe it. These people must have money to burn to just leave viable camping gear to be thrown in a skip. Utterly shameful behaviour.

Edited by ripcurl85
Irregular capitalisation

On ‎30‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 0:57 PM, cb4747 said:

it's really frustrating watching that video. I'm currently trying to find a decent tent to buy for Latitude festival and don't want to pay hundreds. Grr. 

Same happens at Latitude on a smaller scale. Maybe just buy/borrow a cheapo tent and return home with a free good one on Monday?!

Edited by LowerMead

I should've stuck around longer on the Monday, some seriously good quality gear left over, way better than my tent which i took home (made sure all the guys I was with did the same). I think it's very disrespectful to leave any tents behind after all the requests to take them home, could easily spell the end of the festival which is the last thing I want in the world.

19 hours ago, phillyfaddle said:

Appealing to people's better natures just doesn't work

It does to an extent

- Chinese Lanterns - didn't see a single one

- NOS - saw two lads with balloons near Crows Nest

- Pissing on the land - didn't see a single incident

Flares were still in evidence so clearly it doesn't always work but I think it's worth continuing to try to appeal to people's better nature before getting all nazi on their arses.

2 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

It does to an extent

- Chinese Lanterns - didn't see a single one

- NOS - saw two lads with balloons near Crows Nest

- Pissing on the land - didn't see a single incident

Flares were still in evidence so clearly it doesn't always work but I think it's worth continuing to try to appeal to people's better nature before getting all nazi on their arses.

Whereas about 2 tents across from us about 12 people were openly doing NOS daily and I saw plenty of people pissing on the land!

It's all subjective - people will always do whatever you tell them not to - no matter how hard you try

I'm comparing it to my last visit in 2014 where NOS was absolutely rife on just about every stage, stone circle etc and pissing up hedges seemed to be a competitive sport. Chinese lanterns had pretty much disappeared before then at Michael's request. It does work, first you get a reduction then peer pressure kicks in.

Coincidentally saw loads more (badly rolled) spliffs. I got great amusement from one lad trying to smoke a particularly badly made joint that just wouldn't stay lit, I reckon he was getting more of a buzz off the lighter fumes than whatever was in his jazz cigarette!

@Rumblestripe It has definitely improved but things like Chinese lanterns and NOS tend to be faddy things

Leaving tents isn't a fad, it's happened at every single festival I've been to and will no doubt continue for many years to come until they can think of a way to monitor this - and I can't think of one other than checking a tent in and having to check it out but can you imagine the queues.

On 6/30/2016 at 4:53 PM, DeanoL said:

So you listened to the festival about "Leave no trace" but decided to ignore them when they "you can't bring drugs on site"?

I'm curious how that makes you better than a someone who left their tent but didn't take drugs?

Because the leave no trace message is a good one.  The other message is merely complying with the law.  Don't play daft about morality, you're smart enough to know the difference between something being right because it's the rules and being right irrespective of whether it's in the rules.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

BTW @DeanoL I'm with you that despite the horror of seeing all the tents left and the site in such a state, the actual financial cost isn't as significant as one might think, we did this debate with lots of numbers months ago and the results were quite surprising. I don't like the site being left in a mess, it's disgusting and disrespectful, but it's not causing any kind of existential threat to the festival like peeing in the hedges, or chinese lanterns constantly killing cows.  

I don't like it one bit, but I don't think there is actually a case for increased regulation to counter it.  That would make the festival a far poorer place, when the actual financial cost of the cleanup isn't actually high enough to justify it. Seeing the tents everywhere is visceral, but the cost isn't enough to justify the kind of surveillance that is only experienced in Shangri La.

For the record, I put all my litter in the bins (including carrying empties in my bag) and took my crap with me - even the stuff I didn't want.

1 hour ago, Rumblestripe said:

I'm comparing it to my last visit in 2014 where NOS was absolutely rife on just about every stage, stone circle etc and pissing up hedges seemed to be a competitive sport. Chinese lanterns had pretty much disappeared before then at Michael's request. It does work, first you get a reduction then peer pressure kicks in.

Coincidentally saw loads more (badly rolled) spliffs. I got great amusement from one lad trying to smoke a particularly badly made joint that just wouldn't stay lit, I reckon he was getting more of a buzz off the lighter fumes than whatever was in his jazz cigarette!

There's no excuse for poor joint construction is there!  :lol:

Horrible. I just don't see how people can't clean up their litter as they go. It is f***** SIMPLE! First thing we do is attach a load of bin bags to each of our tents, and throw all empties and rubbish in there throughout. Recycle the tent/chairs in minutes if you don't want to take them home! There's no excuse whatsoever.

What can be done? What would make people do this and not leave a trace? I don't even think there's an answer. 

4 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Because the leave no trace message is a good one.  The other message is merely complying with the law.  Don't play daft about morality, you're smart enough to know the difference between something being right because it's the rules and being right irrespective of whether it's in the rules.

If you turn a blind eye to the morality of illegal drug production and transport sure. 

On 7/1/2016 at 6:38 PM, Rumblestripe said:

but I think it's worth continuing to try to appeal to people's better nature before getting all nazi on their arses.

I wasn't actually suggesting that.....was I....?

"The only solution is more policing of the campsites, but that destroys the Glastonbury free spirit. Used to think it was just a minority that did this, but your vid showed it's now a significant minority. Perhaps we just have to accept more regulation....I dunno!"

I had a proper go at someone at work today who said he always buys a tent and leaves it at the festival.  Thankfully he's never done Glastonbury, but I was saying to him "why is it ok to create such waste, you do know it's just going straight into landfill right?" I think he'd just never thought about it or didn't care, but he's a nice guy so it just seems at odds really.  Maybe he'll think twice, maybe not...

Thanks to all that shared this, it has gone proper viral now.  Over 200k hits so far.  I'm gobsmacked.  Loads of great comments (both supportive and abusive) on the video.  I'm enjoying them all.

Amazing how a 6 minute moan can turn into eBay tokens..........  Got my eye on something shiny.