Tent walkabout post festival

ian the worm

1 minute ago, rpfranks said:

This kind of thing will also push the ticket price higher and higher. It's £228 now, pretty sure it was £205 about three years ago.

Extra resources needed for the mud, clear-up afterwards etc will mean the ticket price will be something around £235 next year I'd imagine.

Doubtful - the mud at this level was a one-off occurrence. Some infrastructure changes will be needed but I imagine when all is done and dusted it'll be seen that GFL did everything they could in line with all their plans, and the conditions were anomalous.

There will be less money for charity this year because of the increase clean-up costs, (most of that will be fixing the land - collecting and land-filling tents is proportionally cheap), but that's half the point of the charitable donation. It allows the festival to have an operating surplus for this sort of thing while still being a non-profit.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

£80 of camping gear? I spend that much on food, and that much again on drinks. People can afford it in the same way they don't bring all their own food in.

£80?! Some of those tents cost alot more than £80, with £10 air beds, then £5 chairs. 

Mental. 'Don't give a ****' attitude of some winds me up. Unfortunately it doesn't even appear to be a minority. 

1 hour ago, Peroni said:

If I were Micheal and Emily, I would pack it in... and I am sure the thought has crossed their mind if it wasn't for the money that would no longer go to charity if they didn't do the festival.  

Not all of the festival fields are left like the video but its really shame that any have to be in this day and age.  I often think of the care that someone takes to get all the stuff on site... and then to not give a damn and leave it all makes me so mad.

I actually told a kiddie that he had dropped something after he was mixing up his vodka and lemonade after discarding the can.  He look generally embarrassed as i called him out on it.

I did that a few times over the festival. One guy dropped a Stella can next to us waiting for Foals. I picked it up, crushed it and put it in my pocket, turned to him and said 'not hard is it?' - geezer looked at me red faced and turned away to talk to his mates.

I am proud to say I dropped not one bit of litter including fag or joint ends this year. All went in a small tin in my pocket and the litter in bins/recycling. I always say if you can stand to carry around full cans/pints same can be said for the empties after you've done.

Just now, DeanoL said:

Doubtful - the mud at this level was a one-off occurrence. Some infrastructure changes will be needed but I imagine when all is done and dusted it'll be seen that GFL did everything they could in line with all their plans, and the conditions were anomalous.

There will be less money for charity this year because of the increase clean-up costs, (most of that will be fixing the land - collecting and land-filling tents is proportionally cheap), but that's half the point of the charitable donation. It allows the festival to have an operating surplus for this sort of thing while still being a non-profit.

Obvs the conditions are uncontrollable but they'd rather charge an extra few quid next year than reduce charitable contributions too much - they know it will sell out every year whether it was £200 or £300 - so to me that makes more sense.

Although I imagine there will only be so much the Eavii can take and we will be seriously warned of the festival's future if tents are repeatedly left going forward. I know the mud will be taken in to account this year but I've seen fields like that most years

And if I'm honest I've already heard talk of them reducing the capacity.

27 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Animals.

How can you afford to buy all that stuff and leave it! 

Group behind us left what was clearly a brand new 4 man tent (same as ours), 4 chairs, 4 blow up mattresses, the air pump, 4 sleeping bags, tins of beer/cider, lots of food/snacks  and a really expensive looking lamp (we took it!)  

Unbelievable!

2 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

£80?! Some of those tents cost alot more than £80, with £10 air beds, then £5 chairs. 

Mental. 'Don't give a ****' attitude of some winds me up. Unfortunately it doesn't even appear to be a minority. 

It's unlikely anyone is paying more than £60-£80 for a share of a tent. That buys you a large 3-man tent. Sure, there were bigger, more expensive tents but those would have been shared between multiple people, so it's the same sort of cost per person.

The "don't give a fuck" attitude annoys me too, but we'll both have different perceptions on what that is. Personally I think flag carriers have the same "don't give a fuck" attitude, as do those that get so out of it on drugs/booze they're no longer able to look after themselves. In the end I just accept it all because getting wound up isn't worth it.

15 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Monday 8pm.

South Park 1 and Rigs Field.

That first still is of the tent directly next to ours. They left 2 of these tents. I took one of them. By the time I had tidied our camp away, and cleared 7 bags of stuff in my direct vicinity, it was 5.30pm and I was exhausted.

This year was the first year I had stayed beyond 7am on the Monday. Absolutely dumbfounded at what got left behind.

3 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Obvs the conditions are uncontrollable but they'd rather charge an extra few quid next year than reduce charitable contributions too much - they know it will sell out every year whether it was £200 or £300 - so to me that makes more sense.

Although I imagine there will only be so much the Eavii can take and we will be seriously warned of the festival's future if tents are repeatedly left going forward. I know the mud will be taken in to account this year but I've seen fields like that most years

And if I'm honest I've already heard talk of them reducing the capacity.

It'll go up a few quid next year (more if they're booking international headliners and the pound keeps falling) like it does every year. But anomalies like this are what that surplus is for.

As to how much they can take - I don't think there really is a limit. Say it takes an average of ten minutes to take down a single person's tent (bigger ones take longer, but hold multiple people). Another five minutes to clean people's crap up. So 15 minutes per person. So four tents per hour. Assume 150000 all leaving their stuff. That's 37500 man hours at £7.50 an hour is £280,000 or so. Or a couple of quid per ticket. And it is scalable, workers are available. Would it be better that money going to charity? Absolutely. But it's not like the festival are going "oh no, we can't possibly afford this".

It sucks that this has to happen because people won't just look after themselves but the idea it might result in the end of the festival is nonsense. It's solvable by throwing a relatively small amount of money at it.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It'll go up a few quid next year (more if they're booking international headliners and the pound keeps falling) like it does every year. But anomalies like this are what that surplus is for.

As to how much they can take - I don't think there really is a limit. Say it takes an average of ten minutes to take down a single person's tent (bigger ones take longer, but hold multiple people). Another five minutes to clean people's crap up. So 15 minutes per person. So four tents per hour. Assume 150000 all leaving their stuff. That's 37500 man hours at £7.50 an hour is £280,000 or so. Or a couple of quid per ticket. And it is scalable, workers are available. Would it be better that money going to charity? Absolutely. But it's not like the festival are going "oh no, we can't possibly afford this".

It sucks that this has to happen because people won't just look after themselves but the idea it might result in the end of the festival is nonsense. It's solvable by throwing a relatively small amount of money at it.

I didn't say that leaving tents would solely result in the end of the festival.

If you think about the amount of people still pissing on the grass, in streams etc, leaving tents behind, laughing gas cannisters all over the place - and that's just to name a few people problems. Yes the majority of it can be cleaned up at a cost but at your circa 300 grand, while relatively small when you look at ticket revenue, is still a large amount of money to be put aside when that could go towards a number of things - charities, stronger headliners and so on.

They will also have a timescale of when they'll need to hand some of the farms back over to their respective owners and that'll be pushed back because of the weather and increase in people leaving shit and making a mess. So I imagine that will incur further costs.

Not to mention the extra bark, straw they had to draw in and additional measures to clear surplus water beforehand.

All in all I would foresee that this is not one of the more successful years for the festival, finance wise.

Jesus christ! You'd make some right money (Ideally for charity) by packing up tents and selling on, clean then up a bit and most of those look absolutely brand new! SHOCKING. 

I'd love to pack some up and give money to charity. I understand people are knackered and weathers been shit, but do your best to take shit with you surely.

Every year I see this and think I need to get myself a new tent, and every year on Monday it's all I can do to get my own stuff back to the car! :lol:

But for the people who do scavenge tents - how do you know that they've been abandoned? What's the etiquette for tent scavenging? Wouldn't want to steal a tent someone was coming back for!

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

There's also pure physical exhaustion, or the extra mud making it harder to carry stuff to the point of being impossible for some. Especially those taking public transport don't have the option of taking multiple trips. I'm always loathe to call people lazy when there may be actual physical factors too.

That said, no excuse for not taking the thing down and putting it in the bag at least.

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. It simply takes effort and planning. If you are physically exhausted and know you have to leave the next day then rest understanding you need to pack the shiz out. Or camp closer to the gate if you do not have the capacity to hike stuff out. Or like us we planned for months logistics of how to get our kit small enough to take in one load. 

The bottom line is it is simply lazy people that find their fun time more important than another person's time who has to clean up their mess. Whether it is physical laziness, mental laziness with regards to planning or just sheer ego that their fun time is more valuable than someone else's time. There was a wonderful bloke in South Park who gave a lady a few words. On the way out she was pissing all over a trash bag in what I suspect was an attempt to shave a few minutes to get out quicker rather than walking to the loos. He said something to the effect, "So you find it okay to piss all over that shiz and then leave it there for some other human being to clean up for you?" and really it is just the truth. When someone leaves filth, mess, and trash all you are doing is passing your problems on to someone one else probably less fortunate. It is just sad. 

To be fair I think when you can wander around the site and pay £5 for a pint or £8 for a jacket potato you have to accept that people don't see it as some kind of favour that the Eavis' do but as a huge money spinning enterprise. People pay hundreds of pounds for tickets and probably assume that the festival can afford to pay people to clear away such cap (which, seemingly, they do). 

This is as shocking as it is sad I had no idea people could be so selfish ( I guess I shouldn't be surprised anymore) can't add too much more to what others have already said, total disrespect for the festival, the farm and our beautiful countryside this had really saddened me.

12 minutes ago, chubbz said:

To be fair I think when you can wander around the site and pay £5 for a pint or £8 for a jacket potato you have to accept that people don't see it as some kind of favour that the Eavis' do but as a huge money spinning enterprise. People pay hundreds of pounds for tickets and probably assume that the festival can afford to pay people to clear away such cap (which, seemingly, they do). 

Whilst I can see how people might hold that view I can't accept it, where has common decency and respect gone.? It's so easy these days to blame everyone else and that attitude of someone else will clear it up is just wrong..I'd offer my time to track these people down and ensure they are banned from future festivals if  that was to happen. It also says something about the throw away society that we live in this stuff costs good money to just abandon it doesn't comprehend with me at all.

I always take a couple of tents and other stuff home that people have left behind , always find loads of beer as well ,as well as my own tent  that I also take home ,its the main reason I stay on site till late in the afternoon , sadly I didn't get a ticket this year or some of them would of been coming home with me , shame to let everything go to landfill , when they could be reused

Edited by PetePie

2 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

Yeah, but the £80 would be a rough figure they would lose each assuming they all chip in for the tent- the value of which they (disgracefully) probably intend to write-off from the outset. 

It's indicative of the disposable, throwaway culture to which many festival goers clearly - and sadly - belong. 

Edited by Craigston

26 minutes ago, chubbz said:

It is a personal choice to buy a ticket and a a personal choice to buy a beer or food. The other part is it is a personal choice to be a lazy human being and piss all over trash knowing full well Eavis won't be picking up that trash bag but some other person making 8 pounds an hour will. I think you hit it on the head with people don't see it as a favour because money is being made but that boggles my mind. It is the only fest I've been to where you can have open fire, where there are 100's of food options and drink options, so many stages it is impossible to see them all, you get to freaking camp in the same area as the music, you can bring your own booze not only to your camp but to any stage anywhere, the art installations are immense... Glastonbury tickets are the same price as Cochella, Lollapolloza, Sasquatch, Bonnaroo etc and has WAY more of everything. I feel grateful I can walk into like 20 different bars and buy different drinks and eat so much variety of food in the middle of a massive festival. Eavis did me a favour that is for sure and I did a favour to the regular joe blow who had to go clean up that shiz.  

31 minutes ago, Craigston said:

Yeah, but the £80 would be a rough figure they would lose each assuming they all chip in for the tent- the value of which they (disgracefully) probably intend to write-off from the outset. 

It's indicative of the disposable, throwaway culture to which many festival goers clearly - and sadly - belong. 

Maybe I think £80 is more to write off than others, in that case.

Agree completely with your last comment. I really wonder about this world some days. 

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

If you're leaving before the lock ups close at midday. And can get from the lock up to coach okay.

What about it makes you mad? It doesn't make Michael and Emily mad. It's a shame because we all have to pay for the clean up but it's not a huge issue. This year, collecting the tents will be a fraction of the work of collecting stuff stuff dropped around the festival and trampled into the mud. That's surely a better place to direct your ire?

Both abandoning tents, and dropping litter makes mad, was focused on the thread content initially.  Whilst ME and EE tolerate it, I can't imagine they are okay with it as directs money that could towards better causes to something entirely preventable and wouldn't need to be spent, if some people weren't so selfish.  

When I see littering of any type - tents or other, I think I wonder what there house is like, and if they do this their daily life every where they go. I am sure the answer is no in most cases - so it gets my goat that people thinks its fine at a festival to be have like a complete twat.

2 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I always say if you can stand to carry around full cans/pints same can be said for the empties after you've done.

Exactly - you spend all that energy to get the booze on site in the first place, or you pay money at the bars, how hard is it carry a bag for empties or use a bin!

1 hour ago, NoBallGames said:

The bottom line is it is simply lazy people that find their fun time more important than another person's time who has to clean up their mess. Whether it is physical laziness, mental laziness with regards to planning or just sheer ego that their fun time is more valuable than someone else's time. There was a wonderful bloke in South Park who gave a lady a few words. On the way out she was pissing all over a trash bag in what I suspect was an attempt to shave a few minutes to get out quicker rather than walking to the loos. He said something to the effect, "So you find it okay to piss all over that shiz and then leave it there for some other human being to clean up for you?" and really it is just the truth. When someone leaves filth, mess, and trash all you are doing is passing your problems on to someone one else probably less fortunate. It is just sad. 

At home, do you take all your rubbish to the processing centre yourself, or do you leave it for the binmen to collect? Yes, you pay council tax that pays for that collection, but if you paid that and didn't leave a bin out, the council would have more money to spend on schools.

Yes, people paying £230 for their fun time do consider that time more important that someone else who is being paid per hour to clean it up. It's not nice but it does make sense.

46 minutes ago, RickW said:

Whilst I can see how people might hold that view I can't accept it, where has common decency and respect gone.?

And when Eavis says "I wish people would drink less and do less drugs", where's the common respect and decency gone for that request? When he says "don't arrive in a campervan yet" and people ignore it, where's the common decency gone for that request? There are private security searches for drugs on the site. That's not the police, that's the festival itself saying "don't bring drugs" and taking them off people if they do. And yet people still bring them on mass. Where's the respect there?

It's really easy to argue "common respect and decency" when it's something you'd do anyway. And very easy to ignore the requests of the festival when it's asking you to do something you don't like.

6 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Maybe I think £80 is more to write off than others, in that case.

Probably. When tickets cost £230 + travel it's fair to say the festival is going to attract people with disposable income. There will be others who do have to scrape together every last penny to afford the festival as their one holiday of the year and again that's different. Equally there will be people who can only go because they make the money back working for the clean-up crew after the festival, and would be out of a job if everyone took their stuff home. There's always an effect somewhere.

3 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I am proud to say I dropped not one bit of litter including fag or joint ends this year. All went in a small tin in my pocket and the litter in bins/recycling. I always say if you can stand to carry around full cans/pints same can be said for the empties after you've done.

This. I usually just put my empty cans/cups in my back-pocket until I came across a garbage bin. I don't understand why these people are putting future festivals on the line.

2 hours ago, Fearless_Fish said:

But for the people who do scavenge tents - how do you know that they've been abandoned? What's the etiquette for tent scavenging? Wouldn't want to steal a tent someone was coming back for!

In 2014 me and my mate couldn't leave the tent unattended because of all the scavenging, wasn't a very nice feeling to be honest. But we're considering going by car next year, which means we could help 'cleaning up' the site. I'd be happy to take a few tents home, clean 'em up and sell 'em for a few quid.

Be a brave person to admit they left their tent in this thread! (I brought mine home, by the way - packing away, in the rain, early Monday was not much fun. But I have a clear conscience).

I can't see how it can be stopped to be honest. Anything about additional vouchers or checks will just create even more queues to get into the site...

Guilt trips all the way, I think.

3 hours ago, mungo57 said:

I am proud to say I dropped not one bit of litter including fag or joint ends this year.

So you listened to the festival about "Leave no trace" but decided to ignore them when they "you can't bring drugs on site"?

I'm curious how that makes you better than a someone who left their tent but didn't take drugs?