Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

A lot has changed in  ~15 years. 

Principally, in Radiohead's case, that their fanbase has aged while they've never really regained the zeitgeist enough to recruit substantial new numbers.

I think as long as their music still stands up bands like them will always pick up new younger fans through streaming (who'll be desperate to see them live for the first time). Also live music in general has become more popular since the last time they headlined so they could potentially be more popular than ever (especially if you consider the crowd they drew in 2011).     

Radiohead were arguably at their peak popularity wise in 2003, with the long awaited HTTT being released riding the wave of success of both Kid A and OK Computer (and it being a 'return to rock' which many were hoping for). the album may not have lived up to the hype but i bet the build up was huge. they're the elder statesmen now but they're nowhere near as popular as they were late 90's/early 00's. they'll pull a decent crowd but i don't imagine it'll be close to the one they pulled in 2003 regardless of who they're up against

1 minute ago, jparx said:

The Glastonbury demographic has changed loads since 2003. An act like Radiohead could never pull a crowd that large again, unless they break up for 25 years and come back in 2042 with a triumphant reunion gig on the Pyramid.

And Colin and Jonny start calling each other 'potato' on Twitter.

Edited by dentalplan

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Next to no chance they'll be in Portugal early July and not also swing by Uncle Mike's Family Funtimes Festival.

Ehh I don't see any red on Somerset (or Belgium as they'd definitely play Werchter in the interim too). And they've already told one festival gaffer that they cancelled on that there'll be no European tour. Maybe they've just got a big bag of money off Mr. NOS, or they're doing something non-festival, possibly even non-performance related in Portugal. Who knows?

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Ehh I don't see any red on Somerset (or Belgium as they'd definitely play Werchter in the interim too). And they've already told one festival gaffer that they cancelled on that there'll be no European tour. Maybe they've just got a big bag of money off Mr. NOS, or they're doing something non-festival, possibly even non-performance related in Portugal. Who knows?

Surelt it's more likely that each time a festival is making an announcement they'll release a new map with an area coloured in (or something similar)? If they had all the places they were playing coloured in red now then it'd ruin every other festivals announcements. If they announce one festival then that's as good as a done deal in my eyes

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Surelt it's more likely that each time a festival is making an announcement they'll release a new map with an area coloured in (or something similar)? If they had all the places they were playing coloured in red now then it'd ruin every other festivals announcements. If they announce one festival then that's as good as a done deal in my eyes

If they announce a show outside of Portugal or upload a new image it's a deal, I'll give you that.

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yeah...it's just that NOS lads have given them the go ahead to announce.

Possibly. But the thing I'm going on here is that, as said, the Pinkpop gaffer says the Foo dudes aren't in Europe next summer and are henceforth not playing his field. So if they were doing the one show in Portugal at some point in summer then okay, maybe that'd slip through without his knowledge or something... but a bunch of festivals including both the other fests that cancelled? Seems unreasonable.

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Foo Fighters sunday for the locals? Or Saturday for the biggest TV coverage?

Ed will be your TV guy if he's here. And to be honest after seeing this it's hard not to think it'll be 'Head/Ed/Foos.

While Foos will never be my first choice, they're fun enough that I'd go along if there wasn't a better alternative I guess. But I feel like Radiohead will surely satisfy me for Pyramid headliners and something like FLips on JP would be a much better way to close it off.

2 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

While Foos will never be my first choice, they're fun enough that I'd go along if there wasn't a better alternative I guess. But I feel like Radiohead will surely satisfy me for Pyramid headliners and something like FLips on JP would be a much better way to close it off.

Agreed. Im not a big Foos Fan. If I see them it will because there isn't that much I want to see that night.

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wasn't that a few months back? Pink was just maybe just keeping it tight until the ink was dry.

Your attempts at trying put off to the inevitable are creditable, but it's time to prepare yourself for a 17th century cavalier pulling faces at you for 2 hours.

It was three weeks ago. But yeah as it seems from the passport that they are doing a full European tour rather than what was included on that map then yer man Mr. Pop is gonna have a sour face this morning.

I was just playing Devil's Advocate really. I've nothing against them and will probably, in all likelihood (sorry) see them.

JHWwqj1.gif

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, Mash011 said:

Oh good catch on that postcard thing. That's a lock in, then. Had to happen eventually and I doubt anyone can say it's not a strong booking, even if it's a little unexciting after how long it took to get us here.

yep if it didn't happen next year then surely it was gonna happen after the fallow year. wonder if they've got a new album in the works already as well or if they're just gonna roll out a greatest hits set at the festivals? (definitely hoping for the latter). like many, not my first choice, but can't say i won't be there if there isn't a strong other option elsewhere