kaosmark2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Very good ex players don't automatically make good coaches. Especially ones who had little positional discipline? 

I don't disagree - tho I was still surprised at the almost-universal "we don't want him".

12 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Liverpool v Newport/Plymouth will be televised i'd guess 

I'm wondering if my kid is going to get a houseful of his Plymouth mates.

56 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

What am I missing with Bolton v Palace?

Lower league team who used to be big versus struggling PL team. It'll be the BBC/BT's token "see, we're not biased towards the big clubs" offering.

Heard somewhere that United haven't played an FA Cup match that wasn't televised since 2005.

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Lower league team who used to be big versus struggling PL team. It'll be the BBC/BT's token "see, we're not biased towards the big clubs" offering.

Heard somewhere that United haven't played an FA Cup match that wasn't televised since 2005.

I think there's 6 televised in the 3rd round? My guesses:

Chelsea v Notts County/Peterborough.

Everton v Leicester

Man Utd v Reading

Preston v Arsenal

Tottenham v Villa

West Ham v Man City

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

Away from the pitch where his presence is most certainly a distraction. Coaching young players however? A no brainer. Get him onboard asap.

I imagine many of todays best at coaching young players were unknown as players themselves.  I wouldnt give Gerrard a coaching job because he was a good player, or loved liverpool. I would give him a coaching job if he could make them develop into better players. Looking at the way he played and hearing him speak, he doesnt scream potential great coach to me.

4 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I imagine many of todays best at coaching young players were unknown as players themselves.  I wouldnt give Gerrard a coaching job because he was a good player, or loved liverpool. I would give him a coaching job if he could make them develop into better players. Looking at the way he played and hearing him speak, he doesnt scream potential great coach to me.

Fair enough.

From within the LFC fanbase his recruitment is seen as a win. One of the most inspirational figures in the club's history.

Besides, under 23's coach far less significant a role than people are suggesting. Limited risk in either direction.

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Fair enough.

From within the LFC fanbase his recruitment is seen as a win. One of the most inspirational figures in the club's history.

Besides, under 23's coach far less significant a role than people are suggesting. Limited risk in either direction.

I think asking a fanbase for advice on recruitment is a mistake. I also think the skills needed to be a successful player and coach are completely different. 

I didn't realise they even had under 23 coaches. Seems odd as a 22 year old can often be an international with lots of experience. Either way I think having good coaches (picked for coaching and not playing ability) is important throughout the ages.

As a rule though if they are players with international experience then they will be in their clubs 1st team. I can't really think of any international players that still play for their clubs U-23 team.

I think having him involved in the youth setup is a good idea. They are going to be playing to one of the players they (probably) grew up idolising. If that doesn't motivate them to give 100% effort and improve then nothing will. 

45 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think having him involved in the youth setup is a good idea. They are going to be playing to one of the players they (probably) grew up idolising. If that doesn't motivate them to give 100% effort and improve then nothing will. 

Aren't we just falling into that typical British trap of thinking our players need to try harder or be more passionate? I think British players put just as much effort in as their overseas counterparts.

I have no doubt that a young Liverpool footballer would be inspired the first time they were coached by someone like Gerrard, but it wouldn't take long before they judged him on his ability to coach players.

If Liverpool want a new coach for their youth setup then why not just appoint someone who has shown they excel in youth coaching.

41 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Under 23's is a defacto "2nd XI". There's a quota of senior players involved every week.

Great players don't automatically make great coaches but some have. Reputation/experience count for a lot and are a leg up at a big club. 

I certainly wouldn't rule out someone who was a good player from being a good coach. However if I was in klopps position and considering giving him a job, I would be more interested in his knowledge of tactic, formations ideas for youth development then his ability on the pitch.

It could be that he is full of ideas in which case get him involved. My gut instinct is that he doesn't have either the footballing or general intelligence to succeed as a coach. This is the man who didn't realise there would be long travels to away games in the mls!

1 hour ago, pink_triangle said:

My gut instinct is that he doesn't have either the footballing or general intelligence to succeed as a coach. This is the man who didn't realise there would be

You don't need to be a member of Mensa to be a coach or a manager. There's plenty of examples to prove that. 

Dont see a problem with Gerrard helping out with the kids at the same time as finishing his A licence. If he has any managerial aspirations he can then go and do his Pro Licence. 

By which time, Liverpool and Gerrard will know whether he has what it takes. 

Chances he becomes successful are low, but taking some youth sessions along with existing staff on a trial/temporary basis is a no lose I would have thought. 

Maybe the "100% effort" part was unfair, but I think it certainly feels like youth players abroad get better coaching. That's not really having a pop at the players, more the British youth setup in general. Being coached by one of your clubs greatest ever players can only be a positive in my eyes. As a coach, it's a no brainer for me. As a manager, not so much.

12 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

I think it certainly feels like youth players abroad get better coaching. That's not really having a pop at the players, more the British youth setup in general.

Germany has 5 times as many qualified (Pro and A licenced) coaches as England has.

Spain has 11 times as many qualified coaches as England has. 

Perhaps the answer is to get more qualified coaches? 

26 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

They'd be right though wouldn't they? 

:ph34r:

25 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Dunno mate - never seen him play! :P

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/may/28/stephen-hawking-formulae-england-world-cup-success

Probably knows his stuff better than Hodgo or Big Sam. Forget Southgate - I say give it him til the end of the season.

Lad.

4 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

Being coached by one of your clubs greatest ever players can only be a positive in my eyes. As a coach, it's a no brainer for me. As a manager, not so much.

It's not a positive if they are a crap coach, also I think there's a case a legend could undermine other staff and be more difficult to move on if they aren't up to that job. 

I think in this country we underestimate the importance of the coach and majorly overestimate the importance of the manager where there is often huge amount of luck involved in success/failure.