Football 16-17

kaosmark2

27 minutes ago, lost said:

The boots and ball are a different material to the 80's though so you get less water absorption (the ball stays the same weight through the game) and greater energy transmission from a kick. It's much harder being a keeper now.

They get miles more protection. I'd argue it's easier to be a keeper. Thus the modern migration towards keeper as QB. V few do the basics well. My own team has had a litany of meffs in goal.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Randolph contender for save of the season in fairness. 

Incredible agility yeah.

I think Karius is getting a bit of a hard time to be honest. Young keeper in his first season. Remember De Gea? That said, he could probably cut out the wannabe male model Instagram posts and the like. Doesn't do him any favours. 

31 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Randolph contender for save of the season in fairness. 

Looked great in slow mo but wasn't that great. Henderson's shot wasn't hit with any power - certainly didn't make up for throwing the ball in the net. 

His treble save in the Cup at Anfield last season was a lot more difficult. 

Edited by TheGayTent

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Incredible agility yeah.

I think Karius is getting a bit of a hard time to be honest. Young keeper in his first season. Remember De Gea? That said, he could probably cut out the wannabe male model Instagram posts and the like. Doesn't do him any favours. 

3 years difference in age when they signed for their respective clubs. De Gea on a hefty fee, replacing the leagues best keeper and even though mistakes were made (usually from high balls) he still made good saves. Karius is the complete opposite of all that. 

Can't excuse mistakes because of what De Gea did. Also, De Gea was dropped for Lindegaard at one point. 

Hahaha - absolutley nailed on (plus if we had finished 2nd we would have got Barca)

That makes it our 7th and 8th games against Bayern since 2013 (with only the 14/15 season not playing them)

Quite an acheivement. Slightly more confident this year though. But would be nice to play someone other than Bayern or Barca for once just for a bit of variation.

Edited by mjsell

21 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Generally speaking, unlike all other positions, the keepers from the 80s so much better than current crop of goofballs. 

I don't remember too much of the 80s, however thinking of the 90s and early 00s I look back at the likes of Zubuzeretta, Schmeichel, peak Buffon and Kahn who make the current crop look very mediocre.

2 hours ago, mjsell said:

Hahaha - absolutley nailed on (plus if we had finished 2nd we would have got Barca)

That makes it our 7th and 8th games against Bayern since 2013 (with only the 14/15 season not playing them)

Quite an acheivement. Slightly more confident this year though. But would be nice to play someone other than Bayern or Barca for once just for a bit of variation.

Nah, if Arsenal had finished 2nd the entire draw would have been shaken up because of teams not being able to draw other teams from the same country.

35 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I don't remember too much of the 80s, however thinking of the 90s and early 00s I look back at the likes of Zubuzeretta, Schmeichel, peak Buffon and Kahn who make the current crop look very mediocre.

Zenga and Pagliuca were decent too. Buffon is still great.

I think theres about the same amount of decent goalies about at any given stage.

That's not what I said and I'd disagree if you're insinuating Randolph made it look better than it needed to be. 

Was hit to the side of the goal he was standing but he still had to get up for it. Was dipping and curling too. Those saves always get more attention to saves in the bottom corners though.

Edited by The Nal

28 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Nah, if Arsenal had finished 2nd the entire draw would have been shaken up because of teams not being able to draw other teams from the same country.

You make valid point. I hadnt thought about that...

But we still would have got Barca

28 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

That's not what I said and I'd disagree if you're insinuating Randolph made it look better than it needed to be. 

Nope don't think he made it look better. I just think it was more spectacular than technical. Kind of the equivalent of the midfielder hoofing it over the keeper from the half way line.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yeah just backing his player really. Rightly so. Didn't say anything about Carra though.

Neville can (rightly) judge this as having gotten under LFC's skin. Its a supreme irony that his managerial career turned out as it did given the bullhorn he wields at Sky.