Secret Glasto Sets

SecretGlasto

29 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm on EE - has anyone managed to get texts straight from Twitter? I recall that @stuartbert two hats was having some trouble on EE - did you manage to find a solution?

This discussion would suggest EE will allow Twitter texts but will charge 10p a time: https://community.ee.co.uk/t5/Pay-As-You-Go/Are-Twitter-SMS-notifications-from-shortcode-86444-no-longer/td-p/335113

My normal phone is 3 but my Glastophone is on EE, I need to dig it out and check this works.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

So, err, was that test tweet just made up is there actual evidence Leftfield might be doing some coverage of the referendum on Thursday evening?

If you read it again you'll see that it says 'Exit poll [on at] Leftfield'. And no, it's not serious. :)

53 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm on EE - has anyone managed to get texts straight from Twitter? I recall that @stuartbert two hats was having some trouble on EE - did you manage to find a solution?

I am on an EE monthly contract and all working fine.

Couple of questions lets see if we can unpick this

• Are you on contract or PAYG/contract (don't know if it matters)?
  • Are notifications turned on for SecretGlasto?
  • Under your account /settings/notifications/mobile notifications is SecretGlasto listed?
  • Under your account settings/account is your mobile number listed.
  • While testing/playing enable an account like BBC or someone who tweets regularly.
  • If you have a friend/family member with a phone on an alternative network, borrow it for a while and temporarily register it to your twitter account to see if it is your phone or a setting missing in your account.

Sorry if this sounds simplistic just want to check the basics first.

Edited by Evilmonkeydan

5 minutes ago, Evilmonkeydan said:

I am on an EE monthly contract and all working fine.

Couple of questions lets see if we can unpick this

• Are you on contract or PAYG/contract (don't know if it matters)?
  • Are notifications turned on for SecretGlasto?
  • Under your account /settings/notifications/mobile notifications is SecretGlasto listed?
  • Under your account settings/account is your mobile number listed.
  • While testing/playing enable an account like BBC or someone who tweets regularly.
  • If you have a friend/family member with a phone on an alternative network, borrow it for a while and temporarily register it to your twitter account to see if it is your phone or a setting missing in your account.

Sorry if this sounds simplistic just want to check the basics first.

Off to a gig tonight, so I won't be able to properly test all of this stuff until tomorrow night at the earliest. I'm on a contract phone. I do have notifications turned on (for 13 accounts), and get lots of 'push' notifications . I registered my mobile number last week, and received a text from Twitter which authenticated my account, but have had no other SMS messages from Twitter since.

When I go to an account to turn notifications on, there isn't an option to state what 'type' of notification I should receive - is this normal? Should I receive both?

Again, apologies I can't properly test until tomorrow! Thanks for your efforts @Evilmonkeydan!

38 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Dammit! 10p to receive a text is rubbish, why can't Twitter just send them as standard texts rather than using a shortcode I wonder?

Now I'm torn between receiving free SMS alerts on a different network, and the presumably better network coverage that I guess EE get as sponsors of the festival.

15 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Off to a gig tonight, so I won't be able to properly test all of this stuff until tomorrow night at the earliest. I'm on a contract phone. I do have notifications turned on (for 13 accounts), and get lots of 'push' notifications . I registered my mobile number last week, and received a text from Twitter which authenticated my account, but have had no other SMS messages from Twitter since.

When I go to an account to turn notifications on, there isn't an option to state what 'type' of notification I should receive - is this normal? Should I receive both?

Again, apologies I can't properly test until tomorrow! Thanks for your efforts @Evilmonkeydan!

In Twitter, try Settings/Mobile rather than just Notifications.

I find that text messages at the festival can come through very slowly indeed, sometimes not until we get home!

What I have done is set up a second Twitter account and that account follows secret glasto only and I have set my phones browser to go to the home page of that when it opens. No idea if it will be better but thought I would suggest it for others to try.

37 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

In Twitter, try Settings/Mobile rather than just Notifications.

Found it (had to use the desktop website, rather than app or mobile site). Will test it out on another account I know will be sending lots of Tweets out.

It does however say: "With your current carrier, you will be able to receive text messages from Twitter, but will not be able to use Twitter over SMS." What the Geoff does that mean?

22 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Found it (had to use the desktop website, rather than app or mobile site). Will test it out on another account I know will be sending lots of Tweets out.

It does however say: "With your current carrier, you will be able to receive text messages from Twitter, but will not be able to use Twitter over SMS." What the Geoff does that mean?

You used to be able to text various commands from you phone for twitter to do (like send new tweet, follow someone, message someone, retweet someone etc.). I'm guessing it means you can't do that anymore. 

33 minutes ago, big__phil said:

I think you can text your tweets, you text a number owed by twitter, crafted in a certain way and it will turn it into a tweet from your account.

Glad you got it sorted!

Edited by Evilmonkeydan

6 minutes ago, Evilmonkeydan said:

I think you can text your tweets, you text a number owed by twitter, crafted in a certain way and it will turn it into a tweet from your account.

Glad you got it sorted!

Still not bloody sorted!! Going to have to put some serious time in to this tomorrow night I think.

@Evilmonkeydan - if I really struggle would you mind helping me out tomorrow evening? Just a quick comparison of our settings should hopefully to it, and I hope won't take up too much of your time!

2 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

If a definitive way to solve the following issue is found ... "With your current carrier, you will be able to receive text messages from Twitter, but will not be able to use Twitter over SMS." please post it on this thread.

Will do. I think I might try throwing my phone at a wall next.

When did I become shit with technology?

Edited by big__phil

5 hours ago, big__phil said:

Still not bloody sorted!! Going to have to put some serious time in to this tomorrow night I think.

@Evilmonkeydan - if I really struggle would you mind helping me out tomorrow evening? Just a quick comparison of our settings should hopefully to it, and I hope won't take up too much of your time!

Sorry I can't tomorrow night, I'm in Bristol all day, then I've a mountain of DIY to sort when I get home before the decorators arrive. Should be fine Thursday/Friday night though.

For all the people that can't use any of the previous mentioned sms alerts, there is a bit more complicated way to still get sms alerts:

zapier.com is basically the same as IFTTT. You have to set up a trigger (Twitter) and an action (send sms). For the UK there are several sms options, but in my case (I'm from Germany) I connected it with a twilio.com account. There's a trial version for twilio where you get one phone number for free that sends you sms and, maybe I'm stupid, I haven't found any restrictions numberwise for sms.

Quite complicated, but maybe something for the people that can't get sms from Twitter or in case the IFTTT limit is reached.

Edited by ThomZorke