Lineup 2018

22 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Muse Liam Blossoms Giggs Architects

I mean there's a lot of crossover between Liam and Blossoms' fanbases, and there's probably a lot of Muse fans who'd be swayed by being able to see Liam too. Whereas the percentage of Kendrick fans who'd be persuaded to buy a ticket because 21P or Courteeners were on the undercard would probably be tiny. Take your general point though.

10 minutes ago, Steve1000 said:

Realistically, Killswitch, Bullet and OM&M could happen, but if we're going more ballsy then Mastodon or maybe Baroness like 7th down or something. Heck opening main please, and whilst not necessarily metal, touché amoré on after them. Maybe Volbeat in a FFDP manner and I guess ADTR count. 

Oh, and also, Deftones

HECK don't exist anymore, dude. Baroness and Volbeat would go down as terribly as Clutch did when they played Main Stage. They aren't the kinds of bands to play those slots. Astroid Boys, Milk Teeth, Creeper, Basement are the kinds of 'heavier' bands who would play those slots, and they aren't even heavy. OMAM on Main wouldn't surprise me too much, nor would Asking Alexandria. Killswitch headlining the Pit would be wonderul. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

TBH I kinda think FR will push them to headline Latitude this year and then coheadline with 1975 next year at this point....

Hmm tinkering with a prediction again, looking kinda bleak imo but there we go (and the Stormzy/J Hus clash would never happen but idk where else to move them lol)

HALFprediction.png

Realistically Foos and AM have huge potential to headline next year but that sounds too massive so we will probably end up with one or the other

I'm honestly expecting more mainstream reading is turning into more mainstream than the old fashioned rock fest nower days so I wont be expecting three mainly rock orientated bands like artic monkeys,foos,queens of the stone age or royal blood il expect only at least two, also if V-fest close for next year even more reason for mainstream acts?

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

HECK don't exist anymore, dude. Baroness and Volbeat would go down as terribly as Clutch did when they played Main Stage. They aren't the kinds of bands to play those slots. Astroid Boys, Milk Teeth, Creeper, Basement are the kinds of 'heavier' bands who would play those slots, and they aren't even heavy. OMAM on Main wouldn't surprise me too much, nor would Asking Alexandria. Killswitch headlining the Pit would be wonderul. 

Shit, when and why? Listened to Instructions just this Saturday it's a fucking cracker

I agree about Volbeat and Baroness but they still did FFDP and Clutch, and I think they need a rethink of what bands they deem acceptable for the festival since this year sold like shit, as long as these 'unacceptable' bands have fans that buy tickets. 

I agree with your point about the 'heavy' bands they book but I don't see why it needs to be that way, they're just missing out on a large demo. I also think they should book more radio 6 type bands for the same reason even though they mostly aren't my cup of tea

Edited by Steve1000

8 minutes ago, bigcharlie65 said:

I'm honestly expecting more mainstream reading is turning into more mainstream than the old fashioned rock fest nower days so I wont be expecting three mainly rock orientated bands like artic monkeys,foos,queens of the stone age or royal blood il expect only at least two, also if V-fest close for next year even more reason for mainstream acts?

V Festival is downsizing because people weren't buying tickets. Most likely because kids are more interested in getting off their nut at trendy festivals like Parklife and Boomtown. I don't see how Reading and Leeds absorbing the mainstream pop element would benefit the festivals.

20 minutes ago, Jack w said:

Realistically Foos and AM have huge potential to headline next year but that sounds too massive so we will probably end up with one or the other

Oh no agreed 100%. I have:

2018: Kendrick (or Drake) / Arctic Monkeys / Royal Blood(+Paramore?)

2019: Florence / Foo Fighters / 1975(+Catfish?)

3 hours ago, Steve1000 said:

Shit, when and why? Listened to Instructions just this Saturday it's a fucking cracker

I agree about Volbeat and Baroness but they still did FFDP and Clutch, and I think they need a rethink of what bands they deem acceptable for the festival since this year sold like shit, as long as these 'unacceptable' bands have fans that buy tickets. 

I agree with your point about the 'heavy' bands they book but I don't see why it needs to be that way, they're just missing out on a large demo. I also think they should book more radio 6 type bands for the same reason even though they mostly aren't my cup of tea

I'm not even sure! A few weeks ago before their ArcTanGent set they said it was their final show. Literally about a week before. 

Architects being on Main was a step in the right direction. While She Sleeps and Neck Deep should have also been on there too imo. 

43 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I'm not even sure! A few weeks ago before their ArcTanGent set they said it was their final show. Literally about a week before. 

Architects being on Main was a step in the right direction. While She Sleeps and Neck Deep should have also been on there too imo. 

Bloody hell I had no idea :lol: annoyed about that

Still this year we get Architects and Korn, compare that to the year before where we get Parkway, Coheed, FFDP, Skindred, Clutch etc

It's no surprise these bands go down like shit, there aren't enough of them to attract metalheads. I think if they had say the equivalent of 2016s metal undercard then a couple big bands like Deftones and ADTR or whatever, weekend tickets would fly

1 minute ago, Steve1000 said:

Yeah I guess but you could say the same about hip hop with wireless and landfill indie w*nk when they have about 30 other festivals for that

Yep, that's why R+L is good imo is because you get a good variety of lots of different genres and stuff. I like going to a festival where I can see Defeater, Marmozets, Glass Animals, Noisia and Sigrid all on the same day (if only Noisia and Glass Animals hadn't clashed so badly)....

I think with every passing year it's becoming more obvious that acts such as Giggs and Major Lazer pull far bigger, more energetic crowds than bands like KoRn and Architects do so I don't think it is worth filling the lineup with a significantly increased amount of heavier acts. It's not the attendees fault, it's the bookers fault. The same reason why filling the Pit/Lockup with bands like Kvelertak and Dillinger doesn't work. As great as those bands are, the attendees aren't there to fill the tent for them because the lineup as a whole doesn't appeal to them as much as it could. 

After being in the weak crowd for Architects this year, I'd much rather go and see them at Download where the atmosphere will be 10x what it was at Leeds. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 1

My thinking is though, the lineup needs more bands which appeal to propper music fans whilst simultaneously booking acts that appeal to the teenyboppers, like it used to

No reason why you couldn't have say Rammstein with Imagine Dragons headlining NME, with 2 mainstream options on Dance and 1Xtra then something like Father John Misty on FR. Everyone wins, no reason why they need to limit themselves to an exclusively young audience

• Upvote 1

Alternatively they could keep booking headliners their target audience actually wants to see and keep selling out every year as a result. You aren't going to get a lot of pretentious metalheads suddenly come flooding back to Reading by booking Rammestein to headline, all you'll achieve is ensuring the same demographics who attend every year opt to stay in the campsite rather than watch the headliner.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Steve1000 said:

My thinking is though, the lineup needs more bands which appeal to propper music fans whilst simultaneously booking acts that appeal to the teenyboppers, like it used to

No reason why you couldn't have say Rammstein with Imagine Dragons headlining NME, with 2 mainstream options on Dance and 1Xtra then something like Father John Misty on FR. Everyone wins, no reason why they need to limit themselves to an exclusively young audience

There is every single reason why you couldn't have Rammstein at R&L :lol: 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Paulmcm1998 said:

Does anyone think Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds might headline with the success of Liam Gallagher this year and a new album on the way? I don't rate them massively and think there is better options there but I wouldn't be surprised to see them headline.

I mean, I wouldn't say headline but possibly subbing like Liam did. I could definitely see them playing with the new album and everything, I just can't see them headlining.

8 minutes ago, Jayvk said:

I mean, I wouldn't say headline but possibly subbing like Liam did. I could definitely see them playing with the new album and everything, I just can't see them headlining.

I can only see Noel  headlining or co headlining as he has already headlined T in the Park and I feel Noel has had much more success than Liam since the oasis split so I feel Noel would only play if he was in a higher position than Liam this year

Again, why they'd book Noel bloody Gallagher to headline when there are tons of young zeitgeist acts waiting for the call to do it is beyond me. This idea that R+L need to dramatically overhaul their headliner booking policy needs to be nipped in the bud, they literally sell out, they don't need to change :lol: Look at V Fest - there was a successful business model there, they sold out every year, but Live Nation decided they were going to risk alienating their existing loyal bunch of attendees in order to persue a different target audience, and within five years it had gone from regularly selling out to defunct. FR aren't stupid enough to lead R+L down the same route.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1