Grime/Hip Hop

JamieKThomas

Newham Generals & Logan Sama were fantastic last year when I saw them at the Blues stage. I liked Kanye's set although it could have been better, still I did enjoy it. Skepta was great too and I will definitely try see him again this year, be interesting to see what venue he is put in. One of my biggest regrets was not being able to watch Run The Jewels yet it clashed with Motorhead who I really wanted to see and in a way I was glad I did as Lemmy passed away only a couple months ago. Watched the Run The Jewels set online and it looked amazing, with the sun setting and everyone in the crowd were really into it. Luckily they are playing this year at Lovebox festival so I have a chance to see them!B)

This year will definitely try see Stormzy and Skepta. Like that Lady Leshurr recommendation too, will try see her. Saw Kano live in London last month, he is very good live, be good if he was announced. 

4 hours ago, MikeEssex85 said:

Newham Generals & Logan Sama were fantastic last year when I saw them at the Blues stage. I liked Kanye's set although it could have been better, still I did enjoy it. Skepta was great too and I will definitely try see him again this year, be interesting to see what venue he is put in. One of my biggest regrets was not being able to watch Run The Jewels yet it clashed with Motorhead who I really wanted to see and in a way I was glad I did as Lemmy passed away only a couple months ago. Watched the Run The Jewels set online and it looked amazing, with the sun setting and everyone in the crowd were really into it. Luckily they are playing this year at Lovebox festival so I have a chance to see them!B)

This year will definitely try see Stormzy and Skepta. Like that Lady Leshurr recommendation too, will try see her. Saw Kano live in London last month, he is very good live, be good if he was announced. 

Snap on the RTJ/Motorhead clash. I was also a bit gutted to miss RTJ as I'd been excited about it and the clash only came about after the rejig caused by foo fighters pulling out!

On 4/11/2016 at 7:57 AM, eFestivals said:

lots of grime on Friday in Sonic, and lots of grime on Saturday in The Blues.

I think you might be getting lots of grime this year. :P

Not too keen on Sonic but some grime in The Blues sounds like fun. I still think the London Underground should get Wiley to put on one of his Eskimo Dance nights in there one night. 

On 14 April 2016 at 0:08 AM, DefLeppard said:

Where even is The Blues? Probably a ridiculous question considering I've been twice to Glasto now. 

Like the last stage before you get into pylon campsite, it's set up like a shanty town/favella type look with a DJ booth down low in the middle of it, it's a nice set up but pretty bad sound unless you're right down the front 

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 5:20 PM, JamieKThomas said:

Hello all, I've been a lurker on this forum for a good few months now and finally decided to take the plunge to join and start a topic. 

This year will be my first Glasto, I'm a huge hip hop/grime fan and was wondering how much I could expect this year. Obviously Kanye headlined last year and caused a hude debate over weather somebody doing his genre of music should be headlining. 

Looking back at last year I was surprised by how much Hip Hop and Grime were at the festival, m y main question is how much would you expect this year and who would you like to see?

2015 Hip Hop/Grime

Below is a list of almost all of the Hip Hop/Grime artists I could find from last years festival, I may have missed some. and they are in no real order.

Run The Jewels (West Holts)

Fuse ODG (Sonic)

Kanye West (Pyramid)

Idris Elba (DJ set but I imagine he played a lot of hip hop, check his Shutdown remix - 

Akala (Left Field)

Big Narstie

Skepta

George The Poet

Novelist

Kendrick Lamar has been rumoured for this year but I've heard he's an exclusive elsewhere, also Emily Eavis mentioned that Lady Leshur (urgh) and Little Simz could possible be there. 

Did any of you guys go to any of these gigs? If so what sort of atmosphere did you experience? I would love to hear your thoughts on Hip Hop and Grime at Glasto and what sort of thing to expect this year. 

Glasto 2015 was my first ever festival, I honestly had the time of my life there, Silver Hayes has a fair few stages and honestly if you're into Grime/DJ set it won't disappoint you at all... I was checking out Logan Sama with Newham Generals and I ever seen Rio Ferdinand feeling the beats haha! I think this year Skepta will get a fairly decent size stage this year too and it will go off! The South East corner of Glasto will honestly blow your mind, it's truly something special! Catch you around bro!

• Upvote 1

On 21/04/2016 at 4:28 PM, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

You didn't miss anything at Glasto with Nas, he was in a dreadful venue, the sound was atrocious and the tent was horribly overcrowded, I think I left after about 3 songs - was gutted as I was really looking forward to seeing him.

Argh, that's disappointing. I'd like to think he'd be better on a bigger stage. Wasn't it Sonic's first year that year?

On 21/04/2016 at 3:48 PM, Mr_Egregious said:

I see Nas has been added to the Reading/Leeds line-up today. Would have loved to have seen him at Glasto... :( still holding out hope for another big hip hop name when the full line-up is announced, although I'm encouraged by the grime acts already confirmed!

I'm going to Reading this year so absolutely delighted Nas will be there! Looks a great line up fair play to them.