Other ways to get in

jamafa

Having failed this morning, I'm obviously desperate to find any other way of trying to get to those hallowed grounds in June. Has anyone done stewarding, litter picking etc before? I was just curious if anyone knows when applications for these sort of positions become available and how hotly contested they are?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking about all the possible ways to get in, and now I think I've just decided to leave it this year and try something else. My fate has been sealed by the luck of the Gods I guess.

I've had a good run and am lucky to have been to the last 7 in a row. Some people I know try and fail every year.

My first failure in 12 years, I'm already on the case, see it as a challenge and adventure which will mean success even sweeter:

1 Volunteer - I haven't worked Glastonbury but for years I work a small festival and I love it, so I'm looking into options.

2 Contacts - I've a chance of a legit ticket via a contact, surprising what can happen if you ask!

3 Resale - Very kindly people have already offered to help

So, there's ways and means

Edited by Avalon_Fields

Hi.

Just FYI getting a place as a steward is a similar experience to ticket day.

Oxfam will release their spaces in two waves, the first "priority" for stewards who worked two festivals for them this year. Then they will release another batch for non priority. These went in minutes this year. I did make enquiries for 2016 as this was my plan b and was lead to believe places would be allocated in March before the ticket resale (this is not official just what I was told).

Greenstewards have in recent years just had Arcadia and allocation for that in 2014 was a heart breaking shambles.

Best of luck with getting there somehow. There are lots of options for working and I'm sure those who are determined will get there.

Edited by Miesh

Thanks a lot for the info miesh. Sounds like stewarding jobs are tougher to get than I thought, but I'll definitely give it a go!

Yes definitely give it a go. I think a bit like secret resales, you just need to be on all ball. Join the Facebook Oxfam group and that should keep you updated.

I've not worked Glastonbury before but I've stewarded and litter picked other festivals. It's a great way to be part of the festival and get a behind the scenes view. It can be hard work but saves the price of the ticket.

Where there's a will......my plan D (which I'm glad I don't have to resort to) was a possibility of a job inspecting toilets.....if that was the only way to get to Glastonbury 2016 I'd have done it with a smile

Having failed this morning, I'm obviously desperate to find any other way of trying to get to those hallowed grounds in June. Has anyone done stewarding, litter picking etc before? I was just curious if anyone knows when applications for these sort of positions become available and how hotly contested they are?

Next year I will have clocked up 27 years working at Glastonbury and while I already have a place for next year there is many opportunities for people to volunteer - the key is to apply at the right time - I always advise people to get some volunteer experience under their belt even although its not at a festival.

Think about it - what will make you stand out in a crowd ?

in some application forms will be a question like ' How many years have you been a volunteer before ? '

If I was starting out afresh I would apply to be a volunteer at The Roundhouse - one of my Team is already a volunteer and she does three or four nights per week and she loves it.

or it could be a volunteer with Blue Cross - at the end of the day - if you have previous volunteer experience it makes you stand out from the crowd.

Where there's a will......my plan D (which I'm glad I don't have to resort to) was a possibility of a job inspecting toilets.....if that was the only way to get to Glastonbury 2016 I'd have done it with a smile

I wouldn't mind inspecting the toilets as long as that's all I had to do !

in fact there was jobs advertised this year for Toilet inspectors - it was all day shifts and 6/8 hours - it was in April/May - have no clue how many places but I bet they went fast.

all they had to do was inspect - they did not have to do any cleaning.

only down side is 'they did not supply transport' 

-------

That's great advice Glasto worker, luckily I spent 2 months at the beginning of the year volunteering on events so hopefully that will be beneficial in applications. I'll just keep my eyes open for any opportunities that come up. Thanks a lot.

Some ask and some don't - I know if I did not have a place I would concentrate on the ones that do as I stand a far better chance than  the ones who don't.

That Avalon/Shelter link is handy as I know from the people who have applied in previous years ' they got a offer that same day '

Most years I would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks although this year I was told there would be places for my Team at events in 2016.

ever since 1989 its never entered my head to buy a ticket.

I don't give a monkeys about the actual shifts although after 20 years with the WBC I now get first choice although by tradition We always work overnight on the Sunday even although we don't need to but where we work its the busiest night and I know they depend on my team doing that shift.

stick with it and you will soon get sorted  - any time I spot something I will be adding to  http://www.wbc-team.co.uk/fest-jobs.html

Parachute in. Go on, please.

Would love to see someone do that. Maybe start a collection to pay for it. I'd donate.

Powered paragliding - its been done a few times - spotted one this year but he/she missed their landing spot so not sure if they did land as they vanished into heavy trees - they came from the West and headed for Sacred Place but they kept on going so have no clue if they made it or not - have no clue what they do with their gear - far easier just to be a volunteer.

Try festaff too!

I managed to get a place with Oxfam volunteering this year but I gave it up when I got my ticket in the resale. If you register for updates with them they send out an email and tell you what time applications will come open. I got on straight away and had my place confirmed immediately. You have to pay a deposit of the same value as the ticket but you get this back if you complete all three shifts. If you cancel you get it back too, minus £20 which I thought was fair.

Try here for more ideas: http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/jobs/

Volunteering is the best!

1. Arrived on site on the Monday

2. Spent a couple of days wandering the site before the public arrived

3. Ended up with loads of crew bar wrist bands which means cheap beer etc.

4. Worked 4 x 5 hours shifts between Thurs & Sun

5. Knew by August that my team had done what was needed and asked to form another team for 2016

As Glasto Worker says, get experience and apply............

PS My team is full, sorry

Powered paragliding - its been done a few times - spotted one this year but he/she missed their landing spot so not sure if they did land as they vanished into heavy trees - they came from the West and headed for Sacred Place but they kept on going so have no clue if they made it or not - have no clue what they do with their gear - far easier just to be a volunteer.

I saw that this year, also saw someone do it in 2010; they landed inside the fence but were soon grabbed by security.

I'm always getting emails from Seed Staff asking for volunteers & paid work last minute for events in & around London, not sure if they do anything at Glastonbury, but you could build up xp with them I suppose. Someone more informed will probably tell you if they are good to work for as I have never worked for them.

I tried and failed to get tickets yesterday as my wife and I were wanting to take the kids.  My daughter said she was glad as she didn't want to lose her 100% attendance at school (their headmaster is pretty darn strict about term time holidays so obviously done the trick on my daughter).  So having litter picked in 05, 10,11 & 13 I am thinking about going back to it for 2016 after a couple years off for various reasons.  I always chose morning shifts 6am to noon as meant that I could see bands in the afternoon- yes it curtailed my late nights/early mornings but I didn't mind that too much.  I may this time try for a different role i.e. not the bending down picking up litter all the time- not sure what that will be (I know you can work on tractor crews, trader information, recycling centre etc.).

I enjoy doing it- have made some friends over the years doing it.  Camping in Tom's field is good (if a bit of a trek up a hill at the end of the day)- good showers and food and a good way to do your bit for the festival and save some money providing you complete your shifts

A really cushty job is erecting the tents at WV. My daughters have done it for the last three years. 3 weeks before the festival putting the tents up. Usually finished the w/e before the festival starts. No work during festival then a few days from Tues taking them down. Wages, three meals a day and of course festival ticket. (EPO)