The Joanna Newsom Thread

Amy Lawn

Does anyone think she'll actually be there then? I always said it as a wish more than anything, for some reason I've never thought she'd play. Maybe it's because she's picked Green Man and End of the Road recently, like Sufjan I've just decided it's something that probably won't happen. Seems to be a lot more interest on here this year though, I hope to god it happens.

So obsessed with her after the Manc gig, Divers gets better every listen. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think she'll actually be there then? I always said it as a wish more than anything, for some reason I've never thought she'd play. Maybe it's because she's picked Green Man and End of the Road recently, like Sufjan I've just decided it's something that probably won't happen. Seems to be a lot more interest on here this year though, I hope to god it happens.

So obsessed with her after the Manc gig, Divers gets better every listen. 

Having seen her and loved her at Latitude and EOTR, I have now convinced myself that she will grace Worthy Farm next year.

She will play Glastonbury 2016....Oh yes, she will play Glastonbury 2016...

Ben

Incredible again in Bristol last night. Setlist identical to Manchester but a slightly different order (currently wrong on setlist.fm). I see that Brighton got Monkey & Bear and In California, both gorgeous songs, but at the expense of Emily and Soft As Chalk.

I really think she'll do Glastonbury, she'd played loads of festivals before, the past albums tours have been quite long and Incorporated a lot of fests. Would really like to go see her at Green Man or End Of The Road but reckon Wilderness and WOMAD could try to get her as well. I'd love to see her do Latitude again, but I think her only possibilities would be Main Stage Sunday lunchtime, but she's done that  before and they don't like to repeat. Midday in the woods would suit her, but Nils Frahm packed the place out, she'd be on another scale.

Mardy put forward the idea of her playing the Pyramid a few days ago, it could work if they put her on early and gave her a very long set. But in reality I don't think she has the wide appeal to play The Pyramid. I overheard a girl last night say to her friend after the show "I'm not ungrateful for the ticket, I get that it's an acquired taste, I just don't understand how the hell you acquire that taste".

Nice enthusiasm here, my hopes are officially raised.

Couldn't have really asked for better setlists when they're her first full gigs in over 3 years. The new stuff just works so well that it doesn't matter, saw nearly all of Divers and was fixated and blown away throughout. 

She's getting there in the popularity stakes though. Divers debuted in the top 10 the other day, which is a much higher placing than her previous records. Her tour venues mostly sold out pretty quickly too and they're some of the bigger theatres.

The sort of set she'd get on the Pyramid would be an hour in the early afternoon and that's just fifteen minutes shorter than the Park headline slot. If the background noise coming from the bars and Arcadia would potentially infringe on my enjoyment then I'd be happy for a few mins to be sacrificed.

A set book-ended with Bridges and Balloons & Peach, Plum, Pear with one from Ys and Have One On Me each and the rest from Divers would go down a storm on the pyramid.

I hope to god the current arrangement of Peach Plum Pear gets recorded, it's wonderful. One track from HOOM isn't the way to go for a Pyramid show if you ask me, those are the tunes she wants to be bigging up in that setting, Good Intentions Paving Company, Soft As Chalk, Have One On Me and Baby Birch would all really suit a Pyramid show. As wonderful as Ys is, two tracks might be a bit heavy and lead to some talking amongst the unfaithful. Happy to report that I feel head over heels in love with Divers, Time As A Symptom and A Pin-Light Bent last night, don't know why Divers jarred with me in Manchester but I really like it now. I still believe the first half of the album is much better than the second though, on Sapokanikan and Leaving The City she just catches fire and takes off, it's like HOOM on steroids, second half is an amazing journey into newish territories.

She's on Jools tonight. A shining light in the absolute tosh he has been showing recently. 

Sleaford Mods were on last week, upsetting Twitter.

I agree that Have One On Me and Divers probably hold the most suitable songs for a Pyramid set. Still think Emily or Cosmia could fit in though. Like you Lawn, the Manc show made me realise the beauty of Divers - Anecdotes is probably my favourite at the moment, what an album opener. 

I really want to hear her do Monkey & Bear at some point, probably the most lyrically straightforward track off Ys, can imagine some casuals getting a lot out of it without being a prior J New nerd. Also it snowballs into that really fucking powerful ending.

She's just done a pretty fucking great rendition of Leaving The City on Jools. Just her, no band. The crowd loved it! I thought a prerequisite for being in the audience for Jools was being dead or comatose. They were cheering and wooping and all sorts, never seen anything like it.

Clearly ludicrously talented but that voice is like nails on a blackbord to me. Wish i could like it, but i can't.

Have to admit my opinion is slowly coming to that conclusion aswell. Dawned on me about halfway through the new album. I remember hearing The Sprout and the Bean when it first came out and liking but a decade of it....... not so sure now.

Clearly ludicrously talented but that voice is like nails on a blackbord to me. Wish i could like it, but i can't.

Just watched her on Jules having been somewhat sucked in by the love for her on here. 

That staccato vocal is very, very annoying.  I'm out.

Not knowing anything by her, again just watched her on Jules 

really liked what I heard, going to do a bit of research now! Any advice on where to start ?

Her discography isn't ginormous anyway,  but it was Y's that first bowled me the hell over. It's a full blown straight up anyway you wanna slice it masterpiece. 

Always been Marmite from day 1. References to K Bush got worse since she had a vocal chord or nodes op, if you don't like her now, don't go back catalogue beyond Ys :). I never saw K Bush play a Harp like that BTW!

Edited by whisty

Just caught up with her Jools performance and I'm impressed enough to listen further. The Kate Bush comparison is rather inevitable and I can hear Bjork as well (probably just as predictably) . not sure about The Park though?Acoustic or Avalon perhaps? Maybe even West Holt's but would love to see her!

Is it just me who finds the relentless Kate Bush comparisons tedious and more than a little sexist? It's almost as if two fellow female artists can't both be experimental in their music... 

It's annoyingly reductive and can reflect a tendency to lump otherwise dissimilar artists together based on them not having much more in common than gender, but unfortunately in this instance there is also a wee bit of a vocal similarity that renders it not entirely unfair.

It's annoyingly reductive and can reflect a tendency to lump otherwise dissimilar artists together based on them not having much more in common than gender, but unfortunately in this instance there is also a wee bit of a vocal similarity that renders it not entirely unfair.

Perhaps, but it's still a little demeaning in my eyes. You're unlikely to find Nick Cave constantly associated with Neil Diamond because they both sing with a growling baritone... 

Ah well, very excited to worship at the altar of Joanna Newsom in Hammersmith on Monday night!