2017 festival

kaosmark2

1 minute ago, manchestermusicreview said:

Weren't Royal Blood AND Bastille third down in 2015...off one album respectively? I reckon there was a similar amount of hype about RB and Bastille then as there is around Blossoms at the moment... Also it might be FR compensating for having Blossoms so low on the NME last year? It's confusing I know but just trying to figure out how they can justify it.

Yes they were but Bastille were on arenas and only filled in at Boardmasters due to weather the previous year so fair play. Royal Blood not playing anywhere else also.

They can justify it because music costs stupid amounts to see over the last couple of years and they might be stuck with either putting a headliner on that people see combined with a few acts worth the money to pay or lesser headliners at the top and more quality through and hope people see it enough to pay.

Personally £50 at Slam Dunk in Birmingham, inside away from the rain bar one stage as well is more value to me that spending £75+ on a day ticket at Reading or Leeds. Obviously it probably is worth it more if you want to see a big headliner but if not it can be hard to justify it....and to possibly be stood there while it pisses down.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, manchestermusicreview said:

Weren't Royal Blood AND Bastille third down in 2015...off one album respectively? I reckon there was a similar amount of hype about RB and Bastille then as there is around Blossoms at the moment... Also it might be FR compensating for having Blossoms so low on the NME last year? It's confusing I know but just trying to figure out how they can justify it.

TBH Odessa summed it up perfectly. Considering RB and Bastilles debuts were 10x bigger (better charts/sales success, brit awards etc.) I would personally put them 5th down, but tbh given the line up this year 4th seems reasonable too (coming from someone who doesn't live in Manchester)

8 hours ago, Odessa said:

Blossoms seem a pretty big deal to me atm and are rising by the minute but my view is probably skewed being in Manchester. I think by the time the festival comes around 4th down would be reasonable. But TDCC sold out the Apollo twice at like £30 a ticket, and Korn are somehow still relevant in some circles (I got into them a few years ago for some reason and do quite like some of their stuff but their resurgence is bizarre) so Blossoms definitely shouldn't be on their level. But they're easily on the level of Jimmy Eat World. I can't seem to grasp how big ATDI are, until they tour over here it's a mystery to me whether they'd sell more or less tickets than Blossoms. But I love ATDI so stick them wherever and I'm happy. 

The "they're supporting the Stone Roses" shout doesn't justify them being 3rd down here, just means the Stone Roses have got a really weak stadium support act. Guns n Roses have got Royal Blood I think, that's more like it.

I didn't actually realise day tickets had gone up in price this year. Was considering Eminem/Korn/ATDI/Frank Carter/INHEAVEN/whoever else as a decent prospect for 60 odd quid but not as tempted now. Will almost certainly be tempted by a spare weekend ticket that crops up somewhere for £150 in August though, despite the weak as fuck lineup.

Edited by Mattymooz

10 hours ago, Odessa said:

I've seen Nothing But Thieves by chance a couple of times, can't be just me who thinks they're utter shite? Like yeah the guy has a really good voice and they're solid performers but if the songs are crap then the songs are crap.

Blossoms seem a pretty big deal to me atm and are rising by the minute but my view is probably skewed being in Manchester. I think by the time the festival comes around 4th down would be reasonable. But TDCC sold out the Apollo twice at like £30 a ticket

You're entitled to that opinion I guess, although I'd definitely still have to argue that regardless of that, NBT were bigger this time last year than Blossoms are this year. A few of my mates went to see them at roundhouse a couple of weeks ago and i'm pretty sure it was about a tenner a ticket for a single date at a smaller London venue. I'm not even sure that 4th down is reasonable, but yeah you could at least argue it.

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Considering RB and Bastilles debuts were 10x bigger (better charts/sales success, brit awards etc.) I would personally put them 5th down, but tbh given the line up this year 4th seems reasonable too (coming from someone who doesn't live in Manchester)

Yeah its not even a close comparison. RB got absolutely massive off of that album, and Bastille's stuff was on the radio all the time. 

Hopefully we've got another decent size act to be announced third down on that day though, I can't recall them ever having put 'TBA' for a third down act before.

1 hour ago, Twice said:

Yeah its not even a close comparison. RB got absolutely massive off of that album, and Bastille's stuff was on the radio all the time. 

No they didn't, a lot of it is hype! They went from playing standard for their size festivals slots to then playing 3rd down at Reading on exclusive. They are now on a 2nd album and after everyone predicting off that hype them to headline  (that was always stupid) or subbing they are now playing no higher than 3rd again at a major UK Festival.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

Muse, Liam Gallagher, Blossoms, Giggs, Architects, Rise Against, Neck Deep, Against The Current, Vant

They won't but let's not have RA there, they'll be doing their own dates.

46 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

No they didn't, a lot of it is hype! They went from playing standard for their size festivals slots to then playing 3rd down at Reading on exclusive. They are now on a 2nd album and after everyone predicting off that hype them to headline  (that was always stupid) or subbing they are now playing no higher than 3rd again at a major UK Festival.

Royal Blood sold more of their album in two weeks than Blossoms have to date. How are hundreds of thousands of albums "hype"? :lol: 

2 hours ago, Twice said:

You're entitled to that opinion I guess, although I'd definitely still have to argue that regardless of that, NBT were bigger this time last year than Blossoms are this year. A few of my mates went to see them at roundhouse a couple of weeks ago and i'm pretty sure it was about a tenner a ticket for a single date at a smaller London venue. I'm not even sure that 4th down is reasonable, but yeah you could at least argue it.

Nah they're charging about £18 a ticket before fees, I'd have gone if it was a tenner. They're comfortably bigger than Nothing But Thieves were for last year's festival. Their album only got to number 7 compared to Blossoms who will be a year on from their number one album where they've only become a bigger name since. Like this isn't me trying to claim they're massive but they're bigger than NBT.

1 hour ago, Odessa said:

Nah they're charging about £18 a ticket before fees, I'd have gone if it was a tenner. They're comfortably bigger than Nothing But Thieves were for last year's festival. Their album only got to number 7 compared to Blossoms who will be a year on from their number one album where they've only become a bigger name since. Like this isn't me trying to claim they're massive but they're bigger than NBT.

Good job you didn't go tbh, about 8 of my mates went and all but 2 of them had their phones stolen lol. Fair enough though, maybe its just the circles I'm in and Spotify listens inflating my view of NBT then.

2 hours ago, thewayiam said:

What do you even mean that a lot of it is hype? They got nominated for three Brit awards of which they won best British Group and played there. Their debut outsold the likes of the strokes' debut, Kasabian's debut, and Muse's debut. They had the fastest selling rock debut for 3 years. If the major UK festival you're talking about is Glastonbury, then I don't know if you've seen the lineup but there's not really anywhere higher they could go than they are. They've managed to get above Alt J and Major Lazer on the lineup poster, both of whom are Reading sub level acts. That's a pretty big deal if you ask me.

Edited by Twice

2 minutes ago, Twice said:

Good job you didn't go tbh, about 8 of my mates went and all but 2 of them had their phones stolen lol. Fair enough though, maybe its just the circles I'm in and Spotify listens inflating my view of NBT then.

What do you even mean that a lot of it is hype? They got nominated for three Brit awards of which they won best British Group and played there. Their debut outsold the likes of the strokes' debut, Kasabian's debut, and Muse's debut. They had the fastest selling rock debut for 3 years. If the major UK festival you're talking about is Glastonbury, then I don't know if you've seen the lineup but there's not really anywhere higher they could go than they are. They've managed to get above Alt J and Major Lazor on the lineup poster, both of whom are Reading sub level acts. That's a pretty big deal if you ask me.

But by the looks of it won't be playing higher than Alt-J so why does that matter?, if that was such an issue then Royal Blood would be playing Other headliner instead.

Rag N Bone Man won a Brit award, doesn't mean he's suddenly massive. The Strokes isn't something to compare it to as now you can sell in more format than back then. 

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

But by the looks of it won't be playing higher than Alt-J so why does that matter?, if that was such an issue then Royal Blood would be playing Other headliner instead.

Rag N Bone Man won a Brit award, doesn't mean he's suddenly massive. The Strokes isn't something to compare it to as now you can sell in more format than back then. 

I'm not saying it does particularly matter, but if you're going to use their position at Glastonbury to say that RB aren't that big then there's the evidence against it. 

Rag N Bone Man won breakthrough act though, which is a bit different to winning best british group. Its been a trend for a while now that album sales are on decline due to the rise of streaming services, so that argument doesn't really hold up. 

5 minutes ago, Twice said:

I'm not saying it does particularly matter, but if you're going to use their position at Glastonbury to say that RB aren't that big then there's the evidence against it. 

Rag N Bone Man won breakthrough act though, which is a bit different to winning best british group. Its been a trend for a while now that album sales are on decline due to the rise of streaming services, so that argument doesn't really hold up. 

I'm not saying they aren't big but they aren't the massive deal some believe they are.

Album sales are on a decline?, go and ask Ed Sheeran if he agrees ;P.

14 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I'm not saying they aren't big but they aren't the massive deal some believe they are.

I mean you can't really give a single example and claim that that translates over to the whole industry lol. Album sales are decreasing:

https://musicbusinessresearch.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/the-recorded-music-market-in-the-us-2000-2014/

Its about expectations though isn't it, they're coming off of the back of an extremely successful debut onto a new album from which the only song we've heard (hook line and sinker) that's confirmed to be on the album is generally considered to be one of their best songs. They're a big deal from their debut and as long as they maintain their standards going forwards they'll become a massive deal soon enough. 

Regardless though the point of this was to show that you can't really compare them to Blossoms because they're both third down off of a debut album, and I'm sure that you can agree that regardless of how big RB are, they're still far, far bigger than blossoms.

1 hour ago, thewayiam said:

Using the exception to the rule to try and argue album sales aren't in decline is stupid. Even so he'd have sold even more albums without streaming being a thing.

Edited by Odessa

1 minute ago, manchestermusicreview said:

What ever happened to Katy B? She was announced on one of the previous announcements, but doesn't features anymore on the poster nor the website...

They do that. Rex Orange County too.

9 hours ago, huntyyy said:

Good spot. Guess they'll help fill out the Lock Up.

34 minutes ago, manchestermusicreview said:

What ever happened to Katy B? She was announced on one of the previous announcements, but doesn't features anymore on the poster nor the website...

She might be playing the alternative stage, as she is doing a DJ set. The stage is not on the posters yet, so she is not on them.

1 hour ago, Yellow_Fellow said:

cba to trawl it but if there's anymore hidden artists they're here

Didn't spot any but saw the blurb about Carpenter Brut and realised I quite like his work already so cheerz.

Would anyone be interested to hear some stats on the most highlighted artists on me clashfinder? No? Tough.

• Out of 213 results, the most highlighted is a tie between Muse and Two Door Cinema Club. 114 highlights each..Mingin'.
  • Jimmy Eat World (higher than Kasabian) and Blossoms the next highest non-headliners after TDCC.
  • Major Lazer the least checked sub. 
  • Flume has about half the checks that the other NME headliners do. You Me at Six actually doing okay on paper.

@MattDavies__ you got any interesting data?

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Would anyone be interested to hear some stats on the most highlighted artists on me clashfinder? No? Tough.

• Out of 213 results, the most highlighted is a tie between Muse and Two Door Cinema Club. 114 highlights each..Mingin'.
  • Jimmy Eat World (higher than Kasabian) and Blossoms the next highest non-headliners after TDCC.
  • Major Lazer the least checked sub. 
  • Flume has about half the checks that the other NME headliners do. You Me at Six actually doing okay on paper.

I'm guessing TDCC are doing well cos they're sandwiched between quite a few bands who would share fans (as with jimmy eat world) + not many bands are playing at the same time as them and Muse are headlining on a day with weak other stage headliners + right before Liam Gallagher who probably shares a lot of fans with them (or at least Oasis do). Flume is a bit of a surprise but he's headlining on a very strong day especially with Eminem there.

24 minutes ago, LRRP said:

Also Tory Lanez has been arrested so a chance he'll miss it?? Who do you think they could get to replace if he did?

Probably won't miss it but when acts pull out (and so many of them do) you wanna expect everyone moves up one and someone gets added to the start of the day.

26 minutes ago, LRRP said:

I'm guessing TDCC are doing well cos they're sandwiched between quite a few bands who would share fans (as with jimmy eat world) + not many bands are playing at the same time as them and Muse are headlining on a day with weak other stage headliners + right before Liam Gallagher who probably shares a lot of fans with them (or at least Oasis do). Flume is a bit of a surprise but he's headlining on a very strong day especially with Eminem there.

I dunno what to make of it really. At least 20%-25% of people that are there for TDCC go before Bastille, it seems. Not sure where they go either but The Pit seems popular that night. 

Another tidbit I forgot to add: The Amazons are the most highlighted act not on main or NME with 20.2%. If they stay there it'll be hell getting into that.

Edited by dentalplan