2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

Royal Blood new album being release June 16th 

Is it still worth clinging to hope they're put in to sub Muse?

That would be brilliant, but I think its unlikely at this point tbh. Royal Blood into Muse would have been so good :/ 

23 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

If there was a gap to fill they'd make it clear on the poster, like with Alt-J a couple years back.

That unfortunately makes sense 

but then where do the two remaining slots on main stage Saturday go? Can't see them booking someone smaller than Vant for mainstage, let alone 2 acts 

21 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

but then where do the two remaining slots on main stage Saturday go? Can't see them booking someone smaller than Vant for mainstage, let alone 2 acts 

They'll most likely slot in a couple of acts above or below Vant. If it was a high slot (i.e. a sub) they would probably put 'Special Guest' on the poster, but lower down they've slotted bands in before 

28 minutes ago, rfc_478 said:

They'll most likely slot in a couple of acts above or below Vant. If it was a high slot (i.e. a sub) they would probably put 'Special Guest' on the poster, but lower down they've slotted bands in before 

Yeah it just seems vant are just at the level of opening main stage- big enough crowd, couple of popular songs, anyone smaller would be wasted I feel

theres a small gap in between blossoms and LG on the poster but can't work out if it's just to accommodate the proper blossoms logo it not, probably looking for something not there 

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

I feel they add bands to the main stage of the Muse day then they'll definitely be above Vant. 

If it was missing one act I would say it was possible Muse we're given an extra long slot but they'd have to play for about 3.5 to accommodate for 2 missing acts which just won't happen.

Edited by Gozpot

28 minutes ago, rfc_478 said:

Yeah it just seems vant are just at the level of opening main stage- big enough crowd, couple of popular songs, anyone smaller would be wasted I feel

theres a small gap in between blossoms and LG on the poster but can't work out if it's just to accommodate the proper blossoms logo it not, probably looking for something not there 

1 hour ago, Obiginnaw said:

Blossoms are not a third down act. They're about as big as Nothing but Thieves are and they played something like 6th down main stage last year. There's a very weak argument to say that Liam should be subbing because of how recognisable the name is, but ultimately he's an untried solo act who hasn't released any solo stuff yet, which is the material he's going to want to be pushing when he plays (and will make up a large portion of his set). So realistically, there should be something to be announced as sub...

But baring that in mind, the only reason that I don't find it likely that there'll be another act announced that high up is because they'd have put 'TBA' there, like they did for alt - j, and like they've done for the lock up headliner. There would be no reason for them not to say that there's something there tba. 

Its just looking like there'll be a weak lineup on that day, unfortunately.

26 minutes ago, Twice said:

Blossoms are not a third down act. They're about as big as Nothing but Thieves are and they played something like 6th down main stage last year. There's a very weak argument to say that Liam should be subbing because of how recognisable the name is, but ultimately he's an untried solo act who hasn't released any solo stuff yet, which is the material he's going to want to be pushing when he plays (and will make up a large portion of his set). So realistically, there should be something to be announced as sub...

But baring that in mind, the only reason that I don't find it likely that there'll be another act announced that high up is because they'd have put 'TBA' there, like they did for alt - j, and like they've done for the lock up headliner. There would be no reason for them not to say that there's something there tba. 

Its just looking like there'll be a weak lineup on that day, unfortunately.

Blossoms might not be a 3rd down act but int his case I very much think they are.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Blossoms might not be a 3rd down act but int his case I very much think they are.

I'd have to disagree, even if you look at the third down acts on the other two days you'll see that they're not. TDCC have been around for a long time, have released some massively popular music, and from what i've heard are known to be a very good band live. Korn have been around for a very long time and have some very popular shit too. Compare that to blossoms. Even by the standards of the other two days this year they're not a third down act. 

3 minutes ago, Twice said:

I'd have to disagree, even if you look at the third down acts on the other two days you'll see that they're not. TDCC have been around for a long time, have released some massively popular music, and from what i've heard are known to be a very good band live. Korn have been around for a very long time and have some very popular shit too. Compare that to blossoms. Even by the standards of the other two days this year they're not a third down act. 

I think what he means is that they're not big enough to be third down, but no act will go above them and that's where they'll be. 

I think they're bigger than Nothing But Thieves, mind. 4th down would be fair

3 minutes ago, Twice said:

TDCC aren't anywhere near what they were and yes Korn do....15-20 years ago, they've been doing academies until LB decided they don't like being dismissed anymore and an arena tour for both for both of them made it a bigger deal. I think it needs to be seen that the reality is that they have gone big on headliners to sell the festival and even day tickets have increased in price this year most likely as £60 before fees was too little with everything booked for acts like Eminem and Muse who cost at least that on their own. If Blossoms play 4th then fair enough but they are supporting The Roses and I've never seen them have a support that at the time weren't enough to be 3rd down on a bill.

They are third down at one of last year's third down acts' gig. :P

I was about to label them the smallest band to play that high since The Vaccines and Bombay Bicycle Club in 2012 but those were both doing bigger venues and The Vaccines had sold a hell of a lot more.

I didn't really used to believe in it but there's no avoiding it; the all round poor (as in stature, rather than quality) undercard has to be because they dropped a lot more on the headliners, and I think it might come back to haunt them if Kasabian and Muse aren't as big a deal anymore and Eminem has mopped up the demand for day tickets and it doesn't carry over to the weekends. We'll wait and see tho.

46 minutes ago, Twice said:

They're about as big as Nothing but Thieves 

I think NBT are one of the best bands around at the minute and even I couldn't justify a third spot down place for them, and after seeing blossoms last year I found about 5 or 6 bands much further down that were much better (fickle friends and sunset sons being particular highlights)

43 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

TDCC aren't anywhere near what they were and yes Korn do....15-20 years ago, they've been doing academies until LB decided they don't like being dismissed anymore and an arena tour for both for both of them made it a bigger deal.

I agree with that entirely, but both of those two are still far bigger than Blossoms even baring that in mind.

38 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I didn't really used to believe in it but there's no avoiding it; the all round poor (as in stature, rather than quality) undercard has to be because they dropped a lot more on the headliners, and I think it might come back to haunt them if Kasabian and Muse aren't as big a deal anymore and Eminem has mopped up the demand for day tickets and it doesn't carry over to the weekends. We'll wait and see tho.

They've definitely spent all the money on the headliners - although how much is "all the money"? The lineups of the naughties have had what must be far more expensive bookings on them and still managed to keep a more consistent undercard. Are acts just becoming more expensive overall, or are FR being a bit too greedy with their profit margins expecting to sell out Reading like they always do regardless? 

But definitely as in stature, there's definitely some quality on there. The Amazons are brilliant :P

32 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

I think NBT are one of the best bands around at the minute and even I couldn't justify a third spot down place for them, and after seeing blossoms last year I found about 5 or 6 bands much further down that were much better (fickle friends and sunset sons being particular highlights)

NBT's debut album was smashing, and far more consistent than Blossoms' which all seems to blur into one. At least NBT managed to get a good few big hits off of their album as opposed to Blossoms who managed to produce Charlemagne (which is a banger tbf) and a load of other very similar sounding songs but nothing else noteworthy.  

Edited by Twice

22 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They are third down at one of last year's third down acts' gig. :P

I was about to label them the smallest band to play that high since The Vaccines and Bombay Bicycle Club in 2012 but those were both doing bigger venues and The Vaccines had sold a hell of a lot more.

Agreed- there's a lot on the undercard I like, and plenty more I'll undoubtedly get into before the festival. But annoyingly, and unusually, they seem to have spent much of the money on three big headliners this year. I'd much rather they'd have stuck to their previous principles of having an 'up and coming' headliner against two big names, which should result in a strong undercard.

I've seen Nothing But Thieves by chance a couple of times, can't be just me who thinks they're utter shite? Like yeah the guy has a really good voice and they're solid performers but if the songs are crap then the songs are crap.

Blossoms seem a pretty big deal to me atm and are rising by the minute but my view is probably skewed being in Manchester. I think by the time the festival comes around 4th down would be reasonable. But TDCC sold out the Apollo twice at like £30 a ticket, and Korn are somehow still relevant in some circles (I got into them a few years ago for some reason and do quite like some of their stuff but their resurgence is bizarre) so Blossoms definitely shouldn't be on their level. But they're easily on the level of Jimmy Eat World. I can't seem to grasp how big ATDI are, until they tour over here it's a mystery to me whether they'd sell more or less tickets than Blossoms. But I love ATDI so stick them wherever and I'm happy. 

The "they're supporting the Stone Roses" shout doesn't justify them being 3rd down here, just means the Stone Roses have got a really weak stadium support act. Guns n Roses have got Royal Blood I think, that's more like it.

I didn't actually realise day tickets had gone up in price this year. Was considering Eminem/Korn/ATDI/Frank Carter/INHEAVEN/whoever else as a decent prospect for 60 odd quid but not as tempted now. Will almost certainly be tempted by a spare weekend ticket that crops up somewhere for £150 in August though, despite the weak as fuck lineup.

5 hours ago, Twice said:

I agree with that entirely, but both of those two are still far bigger than Blossoms even baring that in mind.

Right now I'm unsure I agree, TDCC played 5th down on the Pyramid for eg at Glastonbury last year and have another gig this year quite low down I think, they returned with primarily an academy tour and have fallen quite a bit. Thank yourself lucky Korn aren't subbing like Download pulled out!...yes Download is heavier but Korn are not a sub!

5 hours ago, rfc_478 said:

Agreed- there's a lot on the undercard I like, and plenty more I'll undoubtedly get into before the festival. But annoyingly, and unusually, they seem to have spent much of the money on three big headliners this year. I'd much rather they'd have stuck to their previous principles of having an 'up and coming' headliner against two big names, which should result in a strong undercard.

I tried to tell at least one person on here this was how it was and was going for a couple of years but they didn't want to know and dismissed it every time being, oh this again!. Prices have gone up in music in general, Eminem unless I've missed it doesn't appear to even have a Scottish date meaning they have paid to stop him doing that too and by spending on ML as a sub guarantees the sell out. ML should have subbed him as he would have sold anyway and been put on a different day if booked. Bastille and ML is quite strong and I think with those headliners that one had to give way.

4 hours ago, Odessa said:

I've seen Nothing But Thieves by chance a couple of times, can't be just me who thinks they're utter shite? Like yeah the guy has a really good voice and they're solid performers but if the songs are crap then the songs are crap.

Blossoms seem a pretty big deal to me atm and are rising by the minute but my view is probably skewed being in Manchester. I think by the time the festival comes around 4th down would be reasonable. But TDCC sold out the Apollo twice at like £30 a ticket, and Korn are somehow still relevant in some circles (I got into them a few years ago for some reason and do quite like some of their stuff but their resurgence is bizarre) so Blossoms definitely shouldn't be on their level. But they're easily on the level of Jimmy Eat World. I can't seem to grasp how big ATDI are, until they tour over here it's a mystery to me whether they'd sell more or less tickets than Blossoms. But I love ATDI so stick them wherever and I'm happy. 

The "they're supporting the Stone Roses" shout doesn't justify them being 3rd down here, just means the Stone Roses have got a really weak stadium support act. Guns n Roses have got Royal Blood I think, that's more like it.

I didn't actually realise day tickets had gone up in price this year. Was considering Eminem/Korn/ATDI/Frank Carter/INHEAVEN/whoever else as a decent prospect for 60 odd quid but not as tempted now. Will almost certainly be tempted by a spare weekend ticket that crops up somewhere for £150 in August though, despite the weak as fuck lineup.

£30 is cheap for a gig now to be fair and I said about JEW being 4th this year before it being said no.

It may not seem a good enough reason but FR go to them and ask them to play a certain slot and they go no, we're higher were supporting The Roses....hard argument to argue. 

Ireland have got GNR but at this given time without a new record etc there isn't much different as Blossoms have load of hype around them. I will admit RB is a better booking but again I've seen them and not The Kills at the other date which many would argue is a weak one too.

Weren't Royal Blood AND Bastille third down in 2015...off one album respectively? I reckon there was a similar amount of hype about RB and Bastille then as there is around Blossoms at the moment... Also it might be FR compensating for having Blossoms so low on the NME last year? It's confusing I know but just trying to figure out how they can justify it.