2017 festival

kaosmark2

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, supasum said:

Well Reading festival is officially dead, been leading up to this moment for years. Not a single inspiring band, I'm more upset than annoyed.

Why have you been leading up to this moment for years? There are plenty of great festivals out there, you don't have to go Reading

4 minutes ago, Hawky said:

Wait, it has been well received on social media?

Where?

Facebook & Twitter. Obviously not a brilliant barometer but hey-ho. Eminem is massively nostalgic for a significant portion of the millennial generation so I think he'll satisfy a bunch of the standard R&L clientele whilst also getting other punters in for the novelty of seeing him live. His only UK dates since he headlined R&L in 2013 have been stadium dates for £75+, so with the price of day tickets at R&L being closer to £60 I expect Saturday will sell out first.

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

Why have you been leading up to this moment for years? There are plenty of great festivals out there, you don't have to go Reading

I haven't, the festival has. I'm aware of that but this is the forum for Reading and Leeds ! 
It's just a real shame to see it get so god dam awful, when its a place I enjoy I so much.

1 minute ago, supasum said:

I haven't, the festival has. I'm aware of that but this is the forum for Reading and Leeds ! 
It's just a real shame to see it get so god dam awful, when its a place I enjoy I so much.

Oh, sorry. I see what you were saying now, couldn't agree more. I've been to Reading in some capacity for the last 3 years but I'm going to give boardmasters a go instead this year. 

Whenever there is an announcement, some people will love it and some will hate it. I like to read other people’s opinions but some people do get a bit carried away. Surely if you don’t like the line up, then there are plenty of other festivals that will have a line up catering to your preferences? I also like when line ups come out with bands on that I may not have heard of, as I go away and have a listen to a couple of their songs and is a good way of discovering new music.

For me this line up is decent. Seen Kasabian twice before and one of my favourite live bands and also due to be bringing out new music. I have heard good things about Muse but have never seen them before, and Eminem is an act who I probably wouldn’t choose to go to one of his shows, but would actually love to see live. Plenty of smaller bands that I enjoy too such as The Amazons, Circa Waves, Glass Animals, Moose Blood, Oh Wonder, Sundara Karma, Picture This, The Hunna and The Sherlocks. And like I said before, lots more bands to have a listen to.

30 minutes ago, Muppetmark said:

creamfields have pendulum only doing a dj slot. can't believe reading wouldnt even try and get them. 

In my eyes.. that still leaves them open for R&L.

It would have to be Leeds Fri / Reading Sun because of SW4.

Subbing Muse?

Edit: Assuming Knife Party play fairly early on Sunday at SW4 (which is doubtful) and then its a quick pop over from Camden to Reading to meet up with the rest of the band. Maybe it's not possible after all.

Edited by Cammers

1 hour ago, Mattymooz said:

Am I the only one who really loves this announcement? Friday is a bit of a write off, but Saturday and Sunday look great, especially the smaller acts. You got people like EDEN, Phantogram, Cabbage, Becky Hill, Fickle Friends, Noisia, Tom Grennan etc. So during the day you'll probably be fine. The undercards look awful (All the subs/3rd down look awful) but during the day looks awesome.

Especially compared to the 2nd Announcement I think they didn't mess this one up anywhere near as bad (no Kaiser Chiefs!!!!) and especially compared to last year imo this looks pretty great. Admittedly, it does looke quite alternative right now, nothing really that heavy but we still have The Pit to go!

Does that make the £210 tickets worth it? If you are not a fan of the headliners this year, it is hard to justify spending that much money on a ticket. 

3 minutes ago, Cammers said:

In my eyes.. that still leaves them open for R&L.

It would have to be Leeds Fri / Reading Sun because of SW4.

Subbing Muse?

Pendulum are doing Saturday at SW4
Knife Party (Rob and Gareth) are doing Sunday at SW4
Pendulum DJ Set (MC Verse and El Hornet) will do Friday or Sunday at Creamfields

2 minutes ago, supasum said:

There are plenty of other festivals, but I don't think that any other festival has filled the gap left behind by reading. Thats why I find it so frustrating so see it become, frankly Radio 1's Big Weekend.

What is the gap left behind by reading/leeds? Plenty of rock festivals out there if that's what you're looking for

1 minute ago, JSmurphy said:

Pendulum are doing Saturday at SW4
Knife Party (Rob and Gareth) are doing Sunday at SW4
Pendulum DJ Set (MC Verse and El Hornet) will do Friday or Sunday at Creamfields

Yup - I edited my post just before I saw this.

Totally forgot about KP :(

4 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I guess although I feel that void is still filled by Reading for most. Reading is still full of indie music this year

Its not so much the lack of indie bands but the lack of exciting bookings, painfully predictable. Bastille, 2 door, Major Lazer, Blossoms, YMAS. 
I just can't see one band thats surprising, maybe KORN and thats not really my thing.

Download is great but doesn't satisfy me entirely on its own. It has the right sort of style - much more so than Reading these days - but it sometimes feels stagnant and repetitive in terms of the specific bands appearing. There are a load of bands that could theoretically play Download but never or rarely seem to get booked - eg. Incubus, Garbage, Evanescence, Feeder, Pearl Jam, Weezer, Queens Of The Stone Age, Nine Inch Nails, Paramore, Blink-182, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Alice In Chains, The Offspring, Machine Head - and Reading has typically done a lot to pick up the slack so that the two festivals between them provide most of what I'm looking for.

Download has the potential to be my sole bastion of rock, but they need to stop clogging up their bills with the same old usual suspects like Five Finger Death Punch, Steel Panther, A Day To Remember, Rob Zombie, Slipknot and Korn. Despite the fact that I actually like all those bands, the festival needs to diversify if it's going to fill the increasing void. Until then, my hopes are going to be hung up on Reading to continue delivering.

10 minutes ago, supasum said:

Its not so much the lack of indie bands but the lack of exciting bookings, painfully predictable. Bastille, 2 door, Major Lazer, Blossoms, YMAS. 
I just can't see one band thats surprising, maybe KORN and thats not really my thing.

Yeah, I enjoy TDCC but booking them again is a shocker, especially when this album's done nothing 

Considering most people on here want something like a Warped Tour lineup every year and most people on social media want a grime meets Creamfields thing, it's no surprise that everything the festival announces gets shot down. I think R&L are confused about their demographic, it's like they're trying to appeal to too many people. I actually quite like the lineup, there's plenty of stuff on all the days and it's a class set of headliners. Also delighted to see Blossoms up so high, they'll be headlining festivals soon so see them now while they're not clashing with the top layer of the poster.