Dance music genres by area

mikeydredlox

Hi

Planning on sampling more dance music this year, mainly the after hours stuff. I wonder if there are areas / tents / stages which cater to particular genres?

It would be good to see a list of genres by area if this is possible, or does it not work like that? I appreciate these may be very rough estimations

Cheers

Edited by mikeydredlox

It doesnt really work like that tbh.

Some nights i.e. thursday in the glade will all be the same. (Tech house and Techno)

But You can get some odd line ups. Saturday in the sonic is all over the shop.

There are a few takeovers.

The Blues on Thursday is Circoloco (techno)

The Shangri la has a Hospitality take over at some point. (Drum and Bass)

I know when the techno is. As thats what I look for first in the after hours line ups

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I'll be going with a friend who likes his old school drum and bass/jungle - and dubstep

I'm more into abstract electronica / IDM / techno - particularly interested in seeing people who play with synths/drum machines/midi controllers live rather than just spin discs

I'll be going with a friend who likes his old school drum and bass/jungle - and dubstep

I'm more into abstract electronica / IDM / techno - particularly interested in seeing people who play with synths/drum machines/midi controllers live rather than just spin discs

For your friend I'd suggest the London Underground. They've got people like Nicky Blackmarket, 2 Bad Mice and Marcus Intalex.

Last year I remember wandering into The Cave when the DJ was playing some old school jungle but I have no idea if they'll be doing that again.

As for your good self, the Phuture live set on Genosys may be of interest.

I'm not massively knowledgeable about dance music, but check out idiotape Thursday night, la pussy parleure for a band that play electronic music live rather than spinning discs.

https://youtu.be/J4GeSVHwrZ4?t=64

For your friend I'd suggest the London Underground. They've got people like Nicky Blackmarket, 2 Bad Mice and Marcus Intalex.

Last year I remember wandering into The Cave when the DJ was playing some old school jungle but I have no idea if they'll be doing that again.

As for your good self, the Phuture live set on Genosys may be of interest.

It will, if you want to hear acid house at its purest!

I'll be there, mikey...

Ben

It will, if you want to hear acid house at its purest!

I'll be there, mikey...

Ben

Ben...

I enjoy reading your posts and as we know this is your first glastonbury.

I expect the amount of stuff you plan on seeing compared to what you actually do will be miles apart! I hope you manage it though

Ben...

I enjoy reading your posts and as we know this is your first glastonbury.

I expect the amount of stuff you plan on seeing compared to what you actually do will be miles apart! I hope you manage it though

Thanks, Fuzzy

I have a bit of a conflict, actually.

I have, genuinely, promised myself not to over-plan, or try to structure my first GF with the military precision I have employed over the years at other festivals. Essentially, I can't bear the thought of spending a 'slot' not watching a band that I want to see. And I do so much research that it's almost unheard of for there not to be a band that I'd specifically want to see, at any one time. But I promised myself that, given the size of Glastonbury, and me being a newbie, I didn't want to miss the whole vibe tearing from stage to stage.

So, here's the conflict. Like most people, I revert to type, and as I write, I'm doing a second draft of my back to back line-up for daytime on Sunday! I'm kind of agonising over this seeming breach of promise, also trying to convince myself that I'm not really doing it like last year, now am I?!

But then the other side of it is that I also view seeing as many bands as I can as getting the most out of my time. Some people like to hang out, have a beer, chill. I like to watch as many bands as possible in the day, as many DJs/Producers as I can at night and pack as much in as possible! During this frantic activity I also LOVE meeting new people, who are having as good a time as me watching that band, dancing to that DJ etc! I am the antithesis of the group of lads who are still sat in their chairs outside their tent with a tinnie, 5 hours after you left them when you're popping back to get a jumper! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing that (I think it, but I'm not saying it!!), it just is everything that I don't want to do at the festival.

I read so many accounts of people saying that they had all these plans and then when it came to it, it all went out of the window! That may happen to me too, but actually I doubt it! I'm going on my own, but have already made friends with loads of people through the forum and will have lots of pals over the 5 days. I fully expect to drag those less organised/bothered to the bands I'm planning on seeing!

Example - my Friday is like this:

1130-1230 Cambodian Space Project (WH) - or Other openers, though if The Charlatans, I'm not fussed

1300-1400 Dorian Concept (WH) - or Live Band on WG, if I get wind of something interesting

1430-1510 Other Lives (WG)

1530-1610 Stornoway (Acoustic)

1630-1710 Stealing Sheep (WG) - possibly. Might just chill for 5 minutes!

1730-1800 Motörhead (Pyramid) - first half

1825-1920 Circa Waves (JPT) - might leave early to catch the whole set by

1900-2000 Run The Jewels (WH)

2030-2130 Caribou (WH)

2215-2345 Hot Chip (WH)

0000-0030 Maceo Plex (Arcadia)

0030-0100 Pan Pot (Arcadia)

0130-0230 Phuture (Genosys)

0430-0600 J.E.S.u.S. (Heaven)

Now, obviously, that's not cast in stone, but I do intend for that to be what I'm up to on the Friday. I've thought about time for moving between stages and should be pretty much OK.

Only sad thing is I won't get to the Park, but I'm there for much of Saturday afternoon :P

So...am I completely mental?

Ben

Going on your own makes it easier. - are you mental? No, but planning on only watching half an hour of Pan Pot and missing all of Adam Beyer makes you close to being

You may have understimated times. 15 mins from West Holts to arcadia, in the dark when you are not 100% which way to go through the crowd. I can't see you doing that.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I wouldn't worry about missing the "vibe" because you're running around trying to see bands, there's no right way to do Glastonbury so don't worry about people on here saying you shouldn't do that. You may end up sticking to the plan, you may not, but you're clearly motivated to get out there and do stuff so if you end up missing a band because you're doing something else that can only be because that other thing is better.

In short, plan all you like, try and stick to it, if you don't then whatever you do instead will be good anyway.

Edited by Bradders

1130-1230 Cambodian Space Project (WH) - or Other openers, though if The Charlatans, I'm not fussed

1300-1400 Dorian Concept (WH) - or Live Band on WG, if I get wind of something interesting

2030-2130 Caribou (WH)

2215-2345 Hot Chip (WH)

Now, obviously, that's not cast in stone, but I do intend for that to be what I'm up to on the Friday. I've thought about time for moving between stages and should be pretty much OK.

Only sad thing is I won't get to the Park, but I'm there for much of Saturday afternoon :P

Ben

i'm genuinely interested to see if you pull this off. i come from the 'beer & chill' side of the fence, so looking at that list is already making my feet hurt!

out of interest - is it just bands that you're into? for example, i can, and do - happily - spend hours in the theatre, cabaret, green fields etc and so on, or just parked up somewhere watching the world go by.

but like i said, i'm not a rusher abouter. sitting on my arse comes naturally!

there's no right way to do Glastonbury so don't worry about people on here saying you shouldn't do that.

Couldn't agree more.

I find it odd how many people hate those who stay at the Pyramid stage all day. It isn't for me, but they enjoy it

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Couldn't agree more.

I find it odd how many people hate those who stay at the Pyramid stage all day. It isn't for me, but they enjoy it

I'll see one act on the Pyramid this year - Lionel. It's not out of any anti-Pyramid thinking, there's just nothing there for me.

Back on the dance music tips - will there be any old-school house anywhere, or failing that someone a bit trancy?

I'll see one act on the Pyramid this year - Lionel. It's not out of any anti-Pyramid thinking, there's just nothing there for me.

Back on the dance music tips - will there be any old-school house anywhere, or failing that someone a bit trancy?

Way Out West in the glade are trancy

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Thanks, Fuzzy

I have, genuinely, promised myself not to over-plan, or try to structure my first GF with the military precision I have employed over the years at other festivals. Essentially, I can't bear the thought of spending a 'slot' not watching a band that I want to see. And I do so much research that it's almost unheard of for there not to be a band that I'd specifically want to see, at any one time. But I promised myself that, given the size of Glastonbury, and me being a newbie, I didn't want to miss the whole vibe tearing from stage to stage.

So, here's the conflict. Like most people, I revert to type, and as I write, I'm doing a second draft of my back to back line-up for daytime on Sunday! I'm kind of agonising over this seeming breach of promise, also trying to convince myself that I'm not really doing it like last year, now am I?!

But then the other side of it is that I also view seeing as many bands as I can as getting the most out of my time. Some people like to hang out, have a beer, chill. I like to watch as many bands as possible in the day, as many DJs/Producers as I can at night and pack as much in as possible! During this frantic activity I also LOVE meeting new people, who are having as good a time as me watching that band, dancing to that DJ etc! I am the antithesis of the group of lads who are still sat in their chairs outside their tent with a tinnie, 5 hours after you left them when you're popping back to get a jumper! I'm not saying there's anything wrong with doing that (I think it, but I'm not saying it!!), it just is everything that I don't want to do at the festival.

I read so many accounts of people saying that they had all these plans and then when it came to it, it all went out of the window! That may happen to me too, but actually I doubt it! I'm going on my own, but have already made friends with loads of people through the forum and will have lots of pals over the 5 days. I fully expect to drag those less organised/bothered to the bands I'm planning on seeing!

2030-2130 Caribou (WH)

2215-2345 Hot Chip (WH)

Ben

Crumbs, there's a lot there good luck with that! At least most of what you want to see is fairly close together - WH, WG and Acoustic are quite close together, so you aren't going too mad. You might want to consider missing a trip to JP, that will be the thing which will do you in more than anything, it's quite a trek to get to JP, especially if you going through the Pyramid Stage. Really the rest of your lineup looks doable, and I think will be a fairly chilled experience due to the proximity of most of the stages you are going to be at

Good luck, and don't get too atressed when you miss a band, which you inevitably will, I guarantee that! And remember, it's only Friday!

Thanks, Fuzzy

2030-2130 Caribou (WH)

2215-2345 Hot Chip (WH)

Ben

Fair play to you for your ambition but I can't help but feel you're being a bit too ambitious with some of your timings. I guess you've got the Thursday to get used to the site and see for yourself whether it's doable but I'll be interested to see whether you managed most or all of it when you get back! The weather will have a big impact too

John Peel to West Holts - can take almost an hour if you get a bad combo of weather, crowds, distractions etc on the way. Throw in a toilet break too or a trip to the bar and you're easily within that territory. It's almost from one side of the festival to the exact opposite corner. Personally, I'd skip Circa Waves and head straight from Motorhead after watching all the set to RtJ for a good spot, especially if you're staying there for a few hours. If you want to watch all of RTJ you'll have to leave Circa waves by about 6.40. Whether that's worth it to you I don't know but you're doubling back on yourself.

Similarly, Arcadia to Genosys on the Friday night will probably take an hour or so too. The problem there is queuing to get into the late night areas, getting lost in the dark and the likely busyness of Arcadia. Again, it's doable with some effort but make sure you know the route beforehand so you don't waste any valuable time!

I'm probably being a bit too cautious but just something for you to think about!

Edited by mail1234

Plan your day with precision and then just don't worry if you end up off track :)

You might have underestimated how long it takes to get from John Peel to West Holts.

Yes, I'm feeling that one of the things I really don't have a good feel for is how long it takes to get to JPT. On the maps it seems no further from some places as others from others (if you know what I mean), but there seems to be universal opinion that not all equal distances at Glastonbury are equal!

Going on your own makes it easier. - are you mental? No, but planning on only watching half an hour of Pan Pot and missing all of Adam Beyer makes you close to being

You may have understimated times. 15 mins from West Holts to arcadia, in the dark when you are not 100% which way to go through the crowd. I can't see you doing that.

I don't want to miss Adam Beyer, and a 'full night' at Arcadia on the Friday would have been great, and probably been enough Arcadia for me, since there's so much other good stuff during the nights. But I kind of feel I have to be at Phuture. I'm 45, and though I was no raver (too busy being at Med School...) for the second Summer of Love, '88 was a special year music wise and the acid sound got me properly interested in dance music...

Saying that, if i'm in the zone at Arcadia after Pan Pot, then I may just stay...

I wouldn't worry about missing the "vibe" because you're running around trying to see bands, there's no right way to do Glastonbury so don't worry about people on here saying you shouldn't do that. You may end up sticking to the plan, you may not, but you're clearly motivated to get out there and do stuff so if you end up missing a band because you're doing something else that can only be because that other thing is better.

In short, plan all you like, try and stick to it, if you don't then whatever you do instead will be good anyway.

Despite my promising (and then, effectively breaking the promise) myself no great plans, one thing I willi stick to is this: no regrets. If I wake up in the morning and my camp tells me about this amazing band/set/secret gig that was the best thing EVER, then I am already at peace with that, so long as wherever I was at the time, I was having a great time. It'll be the first festival for me where I know I will 'miss' more than I will see, and that just has to be OK!

i'm genuinely interested to see if you pull this off. i come from the 'beer & chill' side of the fence, so looking at that list is already making my feet hurt!

out of interest - is it just bands that you're into? for example, i can, and do - happily - spend hours in the theatre, cabaret, green fields etc and so on, or just parked up somewhere watching the world go by.

but like i said, i'm not a rusher abouter. sitting on my arse comes naturally!

I've had brilliant times at three Latitudes, spending (smallish amounts of) time watching poetry, cinema, theatre, cabaret, comedy. But if I could, I would watch music all day. GF has such an embarrassment of musical riches that as it stands, I can't see beyond wall to wall bands, certainly Fri/Sat/Sun. Saying that, I might need some entertaining respite by the Sunday, and then there's always Wed and Thurs. I plan to spend those two days getting around very much as much of the site as I can. I have this distant 'bond' with all aspects of the festival, especially the historical/spiritual/political elements, and would feel like I'd cheated myself not to get to the Green Fields, Leftfield etc.

Crumbs, there's a lot there good luck with that! At least most of what you want to see is fairly close together - WH, WG and Acoustic are quite close together, so you aren't going too mad. You might want to consider missing a trip to JP, that will be the thing which will do you in more than anything, it's quite a trek to get to JP, especially if you going through the Pyramid Stage. Really the rest of your lineup looks doable, and I think will be a fairly chilled experience due to the proximity of most of the stages you are going to be at

Good luck, and don't get too atressed when you miss a band, which you inevitably will, I guarantee that! And remember, it's only Friday!

Again, more sage caution about the ballache of getting to JPT...

As it stands I have probably three JPT acts on the 'intended' list (Circa Waves, Alvvays and DCFC). I might add more, I might take away when I realise just how far it is! I'm certainly not planning any JPT to Park inter-band hikes!

Thanks for all the feedback, folks. I look forward to eating humble pie on here after the festival to concede how it all went tits up!

:)

Ben

Fair play to you for your ambition but I can't help but feel you're being a bit too ambitious with some of your timings. I guess you've got the Thursday to get used to the site and see for yourself whether it's doable but I'll be interested to see whether you managed most or all of it when you get back! The weather will have a big impact too

John Peel to West Holts - can take almost an hour if you get a bad combo of weather, crowds, distractions etc on the way. Throw in a toilet break too or a trip to the bar and you're easily within that territory. It's almost from one side of the festival to the exact opposite corner. Personally, I'd skip Circa Waves and head straight from Motorhead after watching all the set to RtJ for a good spot, especially if you're staying there for a few hours. If you want to watch all of RTJ you'll have to leave Circa waves by about 6.40. Whether that's worth it to you I don't know but you're doubling back on yourself.

Similarly, Arcadia to Genosys on the Friday night will probably take an hour or so too. The problem there is queuing to get into the late night areas, getting lost in the dark and the likely busyness of Arcadia. Again, it's doable with some effort but make sure you know the route beforehand so you don't waste any valuable time!

I'm probably being a bit too cautious but just something for you to think about!

I'm about to get the frickin' shock of my festival life, aren't I?

:O

Ben

I know I will 'miss' more than I will see, and that just has to be OK!

This is absolutely the key to understanding and having a great festival. Once you accept that and don't try to chase your tail/fret about missing secret gigs/happenings, it's a real weight off your mind. It's why I find that confirmed secret gigs' thread som problematic, aside from the tautology of the title. Some people just go insane worryign that they're missing something. With your attitude, however, I'm sure you'll have a ball.