There are some horrible people out there

Blueberry

I think that's a common misconception. It's more likely to be some loudmouths on Twitter with a thousand followers that don't realise the severity of saying "ughh go kill yourself rn" on social media or something than some stereotypical basement dweller.

Would 'go kill yourself' or something like that be what she's talking about though?

I see that kind of stuff on Twitter fairly regularly and I wouldn't see it as a threat, just a fairly distasteful comment.

For a threat, I'd be expecting something more sinister, and I think a lot of those of those come from fairly young, socially awkward dickheads.

I could well be wrong on that... it's just my impression from reading about a few cases

Edited by Space Shanty

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would 'go kill yourself' or something like that be what she's talking about though?

I see that kind of stuff on Twitter fairly regularly and I wouldn't see it as a threat, just a fairly distasteful comment.

For a threat, I'd be expecting something more sinister, and I think a lot of those of those come from fairly young, socially awkward dickheads.

I could well be wrong on that... it's just my impression from reading about a few cases

Maybe. I don't really know to be honest as I've not really seen any of the death threats but I've seen a lot of the distasteful stuff people say on social media and find that the 'Twitter trolls' stereotype that tabloids perpetuate redirects the blame for these actions from people who don't realise what they're doing is wrong to people seen as societal outcasts that wear masks and are angry at the world or something, and that doesn't really make things any better.

But I really don't know why I brought it up now, as it's completely beside the point of it being an utterly awful and ridiculous thing to happen.

Obviously ridiculous... but I think people need to accept a bit that a 'death threat' on Twitter isn't exactly the same thing as getting a bullet in a sealed envelope in 1920s Sicily or something like that.

If true, I retract my statement and pronounce it bullshit.

Nah he might not have been first but it would have made a difference that he was announced on his own, and with only one other act. If he wasn't announced until the first poster there wouldn't have been as much of an outcry. People love making big deals out of things, especially Glastonbury related, and he was the only possible story at the time. It may even work in his favour as he now knows how scrutinised the festival and its performers are, hopefully it will inspire him to cut the ranting short and put on the show of his life. I'm pretty sure it will be a well praised performance, he can't really fuck this one up.

Obviously ridiculous... but I think people need to accept a bit that a 'death threat' on Twitter isn't exactly the same thing as getting a bullet in a sealed envelope in 1920s Sicily or something like that.

Nah, but still disgusting.

Yeah Kayne was second, and he's the best headliner.

The Foo's play every festival known to man for the past 20 years, seriously if you like the Foo Fighters and haven't seen them live what are you doing with your life?

The Who are a bunch of old men who haven't made an album for interest for 40 years and played the festival quite recently.

Kayne was a coup and anyone who thinks otherwise is probably some who doesn't go to festivals or gigs yet thinks glastonbury is about white boys with guitars.

I dont particularly like kw,s music but have to agree with your statement.

Also, not entirely sure what i have been doing with my life.

Might go n see kanye just to show support for Em.

The Eavises know what they are about.they have been hosting the best party on the planet for 40 years.get in!

It could be from some jealous West Coast rappers - I would not mess with em

Compton

Inglewood

Weston Supermare

Thrown' up W-S-M gang! signs twistin' dem digits!

It's fucking retarded that these people feel the need to do this. Like what's been mentioned, I bet all of them will be sat at home on the weekend of the festival, probably dishing out more abuse from behind a keyboard.

I don't like the foo fighters but I'm not telling anyone I'm going to kill them over it.

Ok Kanye can be a dick but there's many big artists over the years that have done the same thing. MJ liked kids FFS!

Edited by bennyboi

For the record, I know the person who started that petition.

It was only started as a joke. There was no malice intended.

He doesn't like Kanye's music in general, but he likes him as a person even less. Kanye is far too self important and disrespectful of others to be worthy of headlining Glastonbury...

The petition wasn't started as a personal attack on Eavis and he highly respects the work of the Glastonbury team.

He does not stand for racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.... He has been to many festivals and seen hundreds of bands.... If anyone is threatening the Eavis family, the starter of the petition does not support our condone it.

Personally, I think she is referring to comments like "who ever booked kanye should be shot " - not actual threats of physical violence, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm right. I'm sure I am.

Edited by Charles Carmichael

For the record, I know the person who started that petition.

It was only started as a joke. There was no malice intended.

He doesn't like Kanye's music in general, but he likes him as a person even less. Kanye is far too self important and disrespectful of others to be worthy of headlining Glastonbury...

The petition wasn't started as a personal attack on Eavis and he highly respects the work of the Glastonbury team.

He does not stand for racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.... He has been to many festivals and seen hundreds of bands.... If anyone is threatening the Eavis family, the starter of the petition does not support our condone it.

Personally, I think she is referring to comments like "who ever booked kanye should be shot " - not actual threats of physical violence, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm right. I'm sure I am.

If I was Emily Eavis I would have cancelled his ticket and banned him for life. Luckily I'm not. She's far nicer a person. Starting that petition was a pointless, negative, counterintuitive thing to do and it led to so much bile being spat at the festival.

Edited by Glastonlocal

Maybe. But it also gave Kanye and Glastonbury WORLDWIDE media coverage.

It was mentioned in local papers all over the world, not just national tabloids.

He does regret the "stir" it caused and even tried to back down on it, but he received threats and criticism from the people who don't like Kanye.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Not sure Emily could really cancel his ticket though. The right to protest is a human right we all share and are entitled to. You may not agree, but 130k people did.

I reiterate, it was a joke and he got caught up in the media whirlwind as much as Eavis /glasto /Kanye.

I'm sure Kanye will smash it, and Glastonbury will get another week of global publicity for free and it'll open the festival to even more diverse crowds, and secretly Eavis will be like "yeah...result!" - Either that or he'll get boo'd off and the people will speak with their feet.

Kanye is a great booking. One I wont be at, but a great booking none the less. Worldwide superstar who brings something different to a headline slot. He also brings the element of unknown... Will he turn up late? Will he go on a 25 min rant? Will he do something to piss people off?)

That is severely lacking in modern day music and entertainment in general.

I will be at the Sonic tent for Leftfield. I was going to go to the Pyramid in support of the Eavis family, but now Leftfield are on, an act I had on my "wish list" I won't be anywhere else.

A win-win all round for me.

I hope on the monday when I check the reviews and views on here from people at the pyramid, "Kanye smashed it" is the common consensus.

In this internet and Twitter age I tend to take these "death threat" claims with a pinch of salt, I'm forever hearing people say they received death threats over Twitter. It doesn't mean the same thing it used to, it's just somebody making a below the belt passing comment, not directly threatening that persons life resulting in police protection!

Ever been on the receiving end of one? It can shit you up a bit.

There's been a couple of comments on forums and YouTube videos aimed in my direction, they didn't bother me at all. Although it's probably different if you are somebody in the public eye as they can find a lot more information on you if they were serious, as opposed to a couple of anonymous comments.

He does not stand for racism, sexism, homophobia, etc.... He has been to many festivals and seen hundreds of bands....

He even has a black friend.

He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

Fixed.

The right to protest is a human right we all share and are entitled to. You may not agree, but 130k people did.

Freeze peach for all!

If he really started it as a joke, he probably would have cancelled it after the first thousand rather than than something like...

30 Mar 2015 — Hi all,
I'll be submitting this petition to Glastonbury organisers at the end of the week. (hopefully just before the line up is announced)
Please share the petition one more time, it would be great to get it over 135k* (the number of attendees at the festival)
*I know you are not all attending the festival but it still sends a strong message.
Thanks for your support,
Neil

If he really started it as a joke, he probably would have cancelled it after the first thousand rather than than something like...

30 Mar 2015 Hi all,

I'll be submitting this petition to Glastonbury organisers at the end of the week. (hopefully just before the line up is announced)

Please share the petition one more time, it would be great to get it over 135k* (the number of attendees at the festival)

*I know you are not all attending the festival but it still sends a strong message.

Thanks for your support,

Neil

Made him sound like an arrogant prick really.

Ever been on the receiving end of one? It can shit you up a bit.

I got it through facebook 3 years back when I was recovering from surgery and morphined up, after I'd blocked the fb account it continued by text message. I was absolutely out of my mind about it, really upset. I'd have probably been less stressed if I hadn't been so heavily medicated, but I agree, it can be genuinely very upsetting. I didn't go to the police or anything, just replied asking to be left alone and eventually it stopped (after about a month).

I had quite a lot in the late 90s when I used to admin a forum for a game we'd released, but I took those with a pinch of salt every time.

I think it's the 'and replace him with a rock band' bit that's annoying about that damned petition. Shows his narrow-mindedness and disregard for what Glastonbury offers.

Definitely this was the aspect of it that annoyed me most, definite hints of racism in that. Also didn't he suggest that Green Day replaced them? Green Day, that's fucking offensive in itself. It's this selfish notion that the festival should cater to everyone's exacting taste, if you don't like the bands that are playing don't fucking go, the festival owes you nothing.

If it was just a joke why didn't he take it down? Why did he do an interview with the NME?