Latitude Festival 2015

homeravery

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a festival ! Absolutely loved that place, as did my wife and kids. Stunning setting, really well organised, family camping was great, comedy lineup was great, def going back with the family next year .

One thing I'll say is the middle classes love a good queue, couldn't help chuckling to myself each morning as I walked past the shower and pot wash queues in the family camping. Never seen queues like it ! Boil a fucking kettle people and quit wasting time

Edited by swede

Ha! Well at least someone did! Can you confirm it was shite like I have read elsewhere to put me out of my misery? :D

To echo the above, it was cool to see him in a tiny tent but the combination of strange security leading to soberness/tiredness, the hit-and-miss nature of TMB and a very weird crowd in the tent, it wasn't what it could have been. It felt oh so right seeing him boogie though.

What a festival ! Absolutely loved that place, as did my wife and kids. Stunning setting, really well organised, family camping was great, comedy lineup was great, def going back with the family next year .

Seconded. I went with a mate and we left the wives and kids at home - it's was amazing how much we crammed into a weekend with just the two of us. Highlights for me are hard as it was all so good but Chilly Gonzales, Stornaway in the tiny 'Other Voices' tent, PSB. Too much quality to mention from the comedy, cabaret, literature & theatre etc. 

Biggest surprise were 'Four Owls', whilst waiting for Thom Yorke, I'd never heard of them before and they completely smashed it. Other surprise was Noel Gallagher. I wasn't expecting him to fall on his arse or anything but I thought he put on a hell of a show with a solid setlist. I am a bit of a sucker for whole field sing-alongs to Oasis classics though. 

In summary - great weekend and I would highly recommend it. 

Edited by Glastoboy

Did anyone see Kiasmos? I was really pissed and had the time of my life, thought they were excellent.

Not all of it due to Portishead, but my lot properly enjoyed it as well, and they were right into Grandbrothers. I felt like a proud dad when the two indie dross listeners I took along with me decided to sack off The Vaccines, Catpiss, Wolf Alice, Years & Years and even came back from Noel saying he was shite, then cited all my betwetter gigs I strongarmed them into as weekend highlights.

Yeah I decided to stay for the whole thing meaning I could only either grab a pint or go to the loo before Portishead. (I thought the former would be problematic given my situation.) Missed Grandbrothers after seeing you post about them because I bumped into some people I knew. Truly a miracle in a solitary signal-free Saturday!

Oh, and I was very impressed with Nadine Shah. Really appreciate that tipoff. I was also pleasantly surprised by Sun Kil Moon - translated well live. Not sure the middle class couple behind me agreed; the wife had to apologise for her husband shouting "thank God this is the last one" or words to that effect after I gave him a look that could kill. Strange Thurston Moore cameo too.

Having thought about it I think the highlights for me were Django Django and Savages, neither of which I would have predicted before going to the festival, and Portishead (despite the best efforts of the twunts who were not bothered watching/listening to them talking all the way through it, but managed to get away from most of them) I loved the circle pit for Drenge too, nice to see the young'uns going a bit mental to a band, and on a non-music note Pappys were superb once again...so funny. I also managed to get side of stage for Laura Marling which was excellent too as part of a competition win. Its very strange looking out from the main stage towards the crowd but you can see why performers love it when you hear the cheers and applause after a song. Oh, and also saw Wolf Alice and Seasick Steve backstage too. Very cool :D

Oh, and I was very impressed with Nadine Shah. Really appreciate that tipoff. I was also pleasantly surprised by Sun Kil Moon - translated well live. Not sure the middle class couple behind me agreed; the wife had to apologise for her husband shouting "thank God this is the last one" or words to that effect after I gave him a look that could kill. Strange Thurston Moore cameo too.

I have to say I wasnt that keen on nadine. I prefer her records to her live. Her voice started grating on me after a while. I wish I'd gone to see badly drawn boy instead, especially after hearing about his strop.

She came across as a really nice person though.

Getting here was an utter nightmare. They couldn't fill the car parks fast enough. We hit the jam 11 miles from the festival. Journey from SE London took 9 hours. 6 hours to do the last 6 miles.

A friend of mine has been stuck in traffic for 8 hours

we drove there on Wednesday morning 15 July so traffic was not a issue but I know the later Crew Coaches { they left London at 6pm } were held up although as I was not on them I cant say what the problem was but the London crew coach that left Thursday morning 16 July also did hit major problems.

Melvin was in the local paper

' Festival founder Melvin Benn said he wanted to tackle the traffic problems and will consider opening the site for campers only on the Wednesday in the future.

He said: “The fact there has been so much traffic is inexplicable.

“It is not good for the locals, it is not good for the festival.

“There will be a steward’s inquiry because I am not happy about it.

“I am thinking about letting a limited number of people in to the camp site only on the Wednesday.”

Melvin was in the local paper

' Festival founder Melvin Benn said he wanted to tackle the traffic problems and will consider opening the site for campers only on the Wednesday in the future.

He said: “The fact there has been so much traffic is inexplicable.

“It is not good for the locals, it is not good for the festival.

“There will be a steward’s inquiry because I am not happy about it.

“I am thinking about letting a limited number of people in to the camp site only on the Wednesday.”

Alternatively just move the car park for staff, guest and day tickets to the same side of the road as the festival then the traffic doesn't have to be stopped every other minute for people crossing the road! Rocket science it ain't Melvin!

the traffic was horrendous on the Thursday

but had a great weekend!

Portishead, Susanne Sundafor, PSB and Nadine Shah were stand outs for me

loved all the other non music bits as well

really should of booked today off work though

Ouch. It took almost 9 hours to get to Glastonbury from London when I went in 2009. Those last several miles when you're so close but can't do anything are maddening.

Can't believe Thom Yorke did a set and played with Portishead. Sad I didn't go.

I wanna hear about Warpaint's set.

After initial reservations had a great time. Loved all the little wooded areas and the random stuff going on there (much more accessible than Shangri la given the crowds this year) and musically was spot on.

Only slight moan would be the people there. Had to move a couple of times during Portishead due to chatter and definitely a bias towards those there just to get pissed at their first festival. Could just be me being grumpy though :)

Sounds like we timed it perfectly getting there. Arrived just as the campsites were opening on the Thursday and drove straight in.

Would definitely go back.

Portishead were utterly brilliant. And i am SO happy that Nadine Shah is getting a lot of love on this forum. :)

I think i got lucky with the traffic. I got to the A12 via the A1120. Then (as we were going to Southwold before camping up) after a few yards, turned off and went around the village lanes for a bit. Saved lots of time.

My only very minor moan was.....was it me, or was there TONS of dust around?!? IT seemed to be everywhere! I know it rained a lot before the event itself, so was suprised at how dusty it were....

Next year seems a VERY long way away....

I'm guessing anyone with asthma was rather fecked due to the dust/sand especially in the forest. I found it uncomfortable to breathe in there at times when the wind picked up. I made the mistake of putting san tan lotion on my legs before walking through there on one day and ended up looking like sandpaper! :D