Secret resales 2015

Terence99

3 minutes ago, Woz101 said:

I do think that while the lottery system is ultimately fair, once you have entered your reg number and joined the queue, your account should be issued a token to give you a few minutes to enter your credit card details etc.
Otherwise the system is going to more and more favor the people who are tech savvy enough to pre-load data and write code, and go against the easily confused (ie. Me!). 

I do wonder if a more general lottery system would be more fair.  Some sorta system like; A group of GlastoDroogs sign up one bunch of registrations, and SeeTickets allocates all the tickets to randomly selected bunches of registrations, giving people in those bunches notification and a week or two to pay a deposit.  All the allocated tickets of people who don't pay within the time limit go back in the pot, those registrations get eliminated and the process starts again, until they are all gone.

This would be much less stressful and wouldn't favour the tech savvy.

11 minutes ago, chronicideas said:

Apparently if you have a kid at Glastonbury you get free tickets every year for the rest of your life.

Might speak to the girlfriend 9 months before ;)

Which is one of the reasons why they would now stick you in an ambulance and get you to the nearest hospital quick sharp if the baby looks to be making an appearance at the festival. Not because they don't want the kid to have a ticket, but because they don't want people trying to get tickets that way.

Ours ended up being a month old going last year, but there have been younger kids there. Had read about a kid from a few years ago where the parents were at the festival, she then went into labour and gave birth at the hospital, they were then all back on site for the rest of the weekend baby and all.

16 minutes ago, Michaelgball said:

The ticket system absolutely baffles me to be honest.

We had 3 full groups of 6 people trying.. so 18 of us in total. I ended up getting through 3 times and buying all 18 tickets in one session whilst not a single other person got through at all. 

So bizarre. My internet is just your basic Virgin 60mb download.. I've got a pretty nice pc setup but i don't think that contributes to much at all

Exactly the same here! Had about 10 of us trying, I got on 3 times and managed to get tickets the first two times. The third time they sold out just as I was entering details. No-one else even made it past the holding page!

5 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

However, if I'm understanding @jumbomcnutt correctly (though I'm fairly certain I'm not), there are technical reasons to believe having 6 IP's is better than 1.

I like the comparison to a lottery: having 6 lottery tickets doesn't guarantee you will win, but you do have a 6 times better chance of winning than someone with only 1 lottery ticket. But I don't have the technical skills to know if that is actually a valid comparison to the IP situation, specifically with regard to getting Glastonbury tickets.

Nah. IP traffic is IP traffic, first come first served. 6 IPs or 1 IP should make no difference at all, unless See have specifically written a rule into their fancy anti-attack system (which someone one posted some details about), tho I can't see any meaningful reason why they'd do that.

A sale is a sale to them, why should they care about the specifics of the IP address that brought the person to their website?

2 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

I met her in 2010, was stood next to her at the pyramid when i started chatting to her. asked about her baby as I had just had a child. She told me the whole story. I was amazed she came back. Good on her 

Did she confirm the kid was getting a life-time pass? The article is pretty vague about that, saying only "Reuben is now expected to get free tickets for life", despite the fact he wasn't actually born at the festival.

2 minutes ago, Chaaaris123 said:

Exactly the same here! Had about 10 of us trying, I got on 3 times and managed to get tickets the first two times. The third time they sold out just as I was entering details. No-one else even made it past the holding page!

Did it make you suspect that the other 9 people simply weren't trying as hard?   :D

6 minutes ago, johnnybrolly said:

I do wonder if a more general lottery system would be more fair.  Some sorta system like; A group of GlastoDroogs sign up one bunch of registrations, and SeeTickets allocates all the tickets to randomly selected bunches of registrations, giving people in those bunches notification and a week or two to pay a deposit.  All the allocated tickets of people who don't pay within the time limit go back in the pot, those registrations get eliminated and the process starts again, until they are all gone.

You have a point, but as it requires no effort on the buyer's part, there's no chance of reward for any dedication. While we've seen that this system doesn't necessarily reward effort put in to securing tickets, those who have got them had to at least be aware of sales, prepare, go through the stress at 9am on a Sunday etc.

Also you'd have to allow much less than a week or two for deposit payment to have the tickets guaranteed to sell within a reasonable time. Realistically, they just want to 'get rid'.

Edited by emilyboris
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, emilyboris said:

You have a point, but as it requires no effort on the buyer's part, there's no chance of reward for any dedication. While we've seen that this system doesn't necessarily reward effort put in to securing tickets, those who have got them had to at least be aware of sales, prepare, go through the stress at 9am on a Sunday etc.

I don't believe the history lets you go back so far, but I think if you could look back a decade on here you'd see similar discussions ;)

At least these days it happens quicker, whereas there were years before where all some folks would see was an error page for ages.

Actually, I have a question I'm sure someone can answer - when it comes to buying tickets, if me and a friend try and buy for each other, does the reg number mean that we can't accidentally double-buy?

If that's the case then I'm a moron and I suddenly understand what I've been doing wrong! 
I should be buying two (her and me) and she should be buying two (me and her). 

DOH!

16 minutes ago, Woz101 said:

I do think that while the lottery system is ultimately fair, once you have entered your reg number and joined the queue, your account should be issued a token to give you a few minutes to enter your credit card details etc.
Otherwise the system is going to more and more favor the people who are tech savvy enough to pre-load data and write code, and go against the easily confused (ie. Me!). 

I agree with you totally on this! I got as far as declining insurance only to get tickets not currently available. It's a bigger knock than not getting a page at all. 

5 minutes ago, johnnybrolly said:

You could argue it makes it less fair, because very little effort is needed to add yourself to a lottery.

The system is fair from perfect now, but it does favour those who ensure they are up on Sunday morning in time, and those that are pressing f5 the most.  There are still gigantic elements of luck, and as you say it favours the tech savvy too, but it seems the least unfair way to do things as I see it.

5 minutes ago, uscore said:

You'd need to build up a lot of statistics to get a realistic insight into any biases in the system.  As  eFestivals said, people are very good at seeing patterns where there are none, and at convincing themselves that they did something different or better than others

On the main ticket day, I never get a sniff of the ticket buying page, and I've been sat at this computer doing nothing but press f5 since 2004.  I have a suspicion that buying from Bristol is the worst place to buy from as the nearest city to the festival it has plenty of people wanting to attend, but that's totally unproven.  

From something once said to me by someone who knows, you might be correct about that.

I haven't got a sniff from Bristol in recent years either ... but my buying group is spread right round the country, and they've all failed in two fairly recent years too.

The more I hear of various claims of advantages in a particular place or by a particular method, the more I end up concluding it's all definitely bullshit.

6 minutes ago, johnnybrolly said:

But people would register a million times to increase their chance .... You could wear glasses or grow a beard just so every picture looks different.... Seetickets would never know B)

1 minute ago, Woz101 said:

Actually, I have a question I'm sure someone can answer - when it comes to buying tickets, if me and a friend try and buy for each other, does the reg number mean that we can't accidentally double-buy?

If that's the case then I'm a moron and I suddenly understand what I've been doing wrong! 
I should be buying two (her and me) and she should be buying two (me and her). 

DOH!

Yes as soon as a ticket has been bought for your reg. number then no-one else can buy another one for it. Even if you're seconds apart, they won't let the transaction complete.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nah. IP traffic is IP traffic, first come first served. 6 IPs or 1 IP should make no difference at all, unless See have specifically written a rule into their fancy anti-attack system (which someone one posted some details about), tho I can't see any meaningful reason why they'd do that.

A sale is a sale to them, why should they care about the specifics of the IP address that brought the person to their website?

Alright, thanks.

6 minutes ago, marcoolio said:

Did she confirm the kid was getting a life-time pass? The article is pretty vague about that, saying only "Reuben is now expected to get free tickets for life", despite the fact he wasn't actually born at the festival.

no she didn't say anything like that, i was pretty much amazed / boxed

its just plain luck 

2010 my mate got me tickets because i didnt have a sniff 

2011 got tickets right before they sold out

2013 got tickets in the resale 

2014 i had tickets and conformation email by 901am 

2015 i didnt have a sniff 

Edited by bowen747

11 minutes ago, johnnybrolly said:

So your dystopian vision is that in 100 years' time the festival will be entirely populated by IT systems developers?? Brrrrrrrr

Edited by billum

Just a note to say that, when I managed to get a caravan pass Monday lunchtime, it was fully 24 hours before they actually took the money from my account. So, if there is going to be another tiny flash sale, after some people's money fails to go through, I doubt anything will happen to give time for money to be fully processed.

Could anyone who managed to get GA tickets around this time yesterday please check their bank accounts to see if your a payment has has left your account.

1 minute ago, funkyuk said:

Is everyone else still  sitting on the  http://glastonbury.seetickets.com/content/extras  page hitting f5 all day or is it just me?

Given the effort people who actually want tickets are prepared to go through - something different should be tried.  Put main sale tickets on early (e.g. 4/5am) Sunday morning and rate-limit them so that they sell steadily for 12/18 hours, only two per transaction.  I'd rather that then all going in a random 20 minute shoot out - hopefully all the good people who really want them now would already be sorted in the first marathon!