Coachella

mccdyl001

1 hour ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Judging by photos on the 'Gram and in the media alone, I feel like I would be far too dirty, boozed up, and bombed for Coachella, in danger of being moved on by the Cali authorities for cash in hand for not "looking the part".

This is all based on my own prejudice from Insta etc of course.

Naw. You would fit in at the Do Lab with all the wooks.

2 hours ago, JudgeGrumpy said:

Do you still have to drink in a cage like a wild animal?! It’s so civilised. 

Yes but you would be surprised how much of a difference it makes when it comes to the crowd because of it. And none of us want you spilling beers onto the rest of the crowd. Just sneak in your booze. Plastic flasks are a thing.

Of course there will now be speculation a headliner not named frank ocean drops. But i doubt it

42 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

Yes but you would be surprised how much of a difference it makes when it comes to the crowd because of it. And none of us want you spilling beers onto the rest of the crowd. Just sneak in your booze. Plastic flasks are a thing.

Honestly at festivals that aren't reading / super young crowd its never even an issue. I've never had beer spilt on me

is the coachella crowd really that bad people with alcohol need to be locked up? thought it was fairly old given the high cost

10 minutes ago, gfa said:

Honestly at festivals that aren't reading / super young crowd its never even an issue. I've never had beer spilt on me

is the coachella crowd really that bad people with alcohol need to be locked up? thought it was fairly old given the high cost

It’s just a bizarre concept! Imagine having to go to a beer pen at glasto! As someone who’s been to glasto, I find it strange that supre thinks it’s a positive thing! 

24 minutes ago, gfa said:

We all saw what happened at Woodstock '99.

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

1 hour ago, Suprefan said:

Naw. You would fit in at the Do Lab with all the wooks.

I've never heard of a wook, but I don't think I could be further in appearance than those guys! Haha. Seem quite funny.

Are they a big percentage of the Coachella crowd because from everything I've seen it looks more like a catwalk runway than a festival?

I’d love to go to Coachella. But it does seem very different to British festivals. The idea of only being able to drink in small designated areas sounds awful. It’s like forcing you to only have fun in ways dictated by the organisers. The thing I love most about Glastonbury and some other smaller British festivals is the freedom you have when you’re inside the festival. Being on my phone the whole time uploading images to social media isn’t what festivals are about to me. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, gfa said:

Probably had more beer spilt on me at Weatherspoons then at Glastonbury.

29 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I've never heard of a wook, but I don't think I could be further in appearance than those guys! Haha. Seem quite funny.

Are they a big percentage of the Coachella crowd because from everything I've seen it looks more like a catwalk runway than a festival?

I had to Google wooks earlier 😂

i went to a Big Day Out in melbourne, australia many moons ago (good christ, it was 2004, itll be twenty years in january! i'm really old) and that was a festival that cordoned off its drinkers into a bar/pen well away from the stages - it feels really counterproductive, cos a) it just means that people end up sneaking booze in and b) means that people in the drinking pen are smashing it down them quickly to get buzzed before they head back off to the stages.

Which isnt much fun in 35 degree heat, at all 😄 admittedly there's differences in the drinking attitudes of Brits/aussies (who are quite similar) and americans (who cant even trust twenty year olds to have a drink with their dinner ffs) 

3 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Judging by photos on the 'Gram and in the media alone, I feel like I would be far too dirty, boozed up, and bombed for Coachella, in danger of being moved on by the Cali authorities for cash in hand for not "looking the part".

This is all based on my own prejudice from Insta etc of course.

Now it is 1984
Knock, knock at your front door
It's the suede denim secret police
They have come for your uncool niece

...and all that jazz.

Cali is weird. I love it. Lived there for a while, but it is weird. A place of contradictions.

On the one hand it is the most totally accepting environment for alternative lifestyles (e.g. Folsom Street Fair - NSFW if you google it - actually had quick look and most of the photos are tame compared to what foes on in a public street) but, on the other, you cannot buy booze after midnight. Clubs open until 6am stop selling booze at midnight. Can get Fentanyl on any street corner in SOMA in SF pretty much though. Loopy.

I would imagine much of this lunacy filters into Coachella. 

7 minutes ago, stuie said:

I had to Google wooks earlier 😂

I'm trying to think of a UK name for the same kinda person, but I don't know what I'd say. Whatever a wook is anyone, judging by the dreads etc, I don't think I would fit in with that crowd at all with my short back and sides, and my tight-fit black jeans! 😄

35 minutes ago, rwoo said:

I’d love to go to Coachella. But it does seem very different to British festivals. The idea of only being able to drink in small designated areas sounds awful. It’s like forcing you to only have fun in ways dictated by the organisers. The thing I love most about Glastonbury and some other smaller British festivals is the freedom you have when you’re inside the festival. Being on my phone the whole time uploading images to social media isn’t what festivals are about to me. 

Yeah, it is a bit restrictive.

"You can only have fun here, here, and here. You can't drink that one step outside of your alotted zone, or maybe, maybe, you spill any on someone's Look Book Instagram Air Jordans outside."

Edited by MEGATRONICMEATWAGON

25 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i went to a Big Day Out in melbourne, australia many moons ago (good christ, it was 2004, itll be twenty years in january! i'm really old) and that was a festival that cordoned off its drinkers into a bar/pen well away from the stages - it feels really counterproductive, cos a) it just means that people end up sneaking booze in and b) means that people in the drinking pen are smashing it down them quickly to get buzzed before they head back off to the stages.

Which isnt much fun in 35 degree heat, at all 😄 admittedly there's differences in the drinking attitudes of Brits/aussies (who are quite similar) and americans (who cant even trust twenty year olds to have a drink with their dinner ffs) 

What those Americans need is a bit more FREEEEEDDDOOOOOOOMMMMM

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

They have designated drinking areas at Way Out West, although some are close to the front of stages (just to the side a bit) with a decent view, so people just stay there.  In fact they cover so much ground (and some smaller stages are entirely within drinking areas) that it seemed pointless separating them from general areas, but it's due to Swedish licencing regulations.

17 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Now a little Machine Head would be fun 

They're at Graspop the week before glasto, and then nothing til september! (admittedly graspop is listed as a european festival exclusive, dammit, but they can be a surprise act 😄 nothing would surprise the Other stage 11.30am crowd more than machine head playing!)

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I was at Big Day Out in Melbourne in 2012 and there was no restriction on where you could drink, it was just bloody expensive. That was probably their way of fixing the problem.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

I was at Big Day Out in Melbourne in 2012 and there was no restriction on where you could drink, it was just bloody expensive. That was probably their way of fixing the problem.

Its bloody expensive at coachella! roughly 20$ for a pint

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Robb Flynn said it best - 'let freedom ring with a shotgun blast' 

57 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Now a little Machine Head would be fun 

I heard he wanted to stop playing Davidian after the Las Vegas Shooting, not sure if they actually did? 

I'd see them tho if they played in general.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Justcalledtosay said:

i snuck in a bottle of (bundaberg!) rum and arsed the lot by midday. Not wise in that heat! Had a splendid nap in the shade before the Flaming Lips on the second stage though 😄

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I heard he wanted to stop playing Davidian after the Las Vegas Shooting, not sure if they actually did? 

I'd see them tho if they played in general.

seen them a couple of times since, i'm sure they played it - i'll have a butchers at the setlist.fm. Very good live band, i'd love to see em again 

6 hours ago, gfa said:

No. Main demo is 18-30 give or take. Im a senior citizen at the festival. You really think ticket costs stops college students from attending? Payment plans do wonders.

btw, the issue this year is not even the ticket cost as much as some might think as to why tickets didnt totally sell as fast. A shortage on affordable lodging did people in. You can camp and its not that expensive but it sold out a few weeks ago. And resale for a camping ticket has gone up as high as $1000. Hotels and airbnb's are always expensive so that pushed people to camp and then poof. 

5 hours ago, rwoo said:

Trust me, makes a difference. Keep in mind its pretty much the only major fest to do that in the u.s. People do not know how to handle alcohol here. Youre forgetting that you would potentially be drinking in 40 degree heat some years. Is that always a pleasant thing? At Lollapalooza and Outside Lands the underage drinking is rampant and theres drunk kids doing stupid things everywhere. Pretty bothersome.  And the thing is you arent totally separated from the music while in a beer garden by any means at coachella. Almost every stage has a drinking area with a view. And you cant be on social media if youre phone doesnt work. Reception more or less goes away by sunset. They add cell towers but it doesnt matter. Theres a few wifi spots but theyre minimal in making a diff. And the Cantina does have a festival feed on some tv's in there too. Image of everyone being just on their phones is still a misconception.  Dont tell me everyone doesnt want to take a picture at the ribbon tower or the glasto sign at sunset or by the pyramid stage and such. 

and Wooks are less than 1% of attendees. Just pointed out where to find them.

Edited by Suprefan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Suprefan said:

No. Main demo is 18-30 give or take. Im a senior citizen at the festival. You really think ticket costs stops college students from attending? Payment plans do wonders.

Trust me, makes a difference. Keep in mind its pretty much the only major fest to do that in the u.s. People do not know how to handle alcohol here. Youre forgetting that you would potentially be drinking in 40 degree heat some years. Is that always a pleasant thing? At Lollapalooza and Outside Lands the underage drinking is rampant and theres drunk kids doing stupid things everywhere.

Fair enough i guess, shame it has to be like that i guess. some day the USA will sort out their stupid drinking laws!

EDIT: although saying that reading/leeds and boardmasters are full of underage drinking and theres never much bother really, maybe i don't notice it.

Edited by gfa