Camping. Where and why?

ChrisTGA

Getting a bus from Bristol at 9:30am on Wednesday - would it be feasible to get into Pennards?

My other choices (and am grateful for any feedback as to if you think it's possible) are:

Dairy Ground

Bushy Ground

Lower Mead

Woodsies

Hawkwell

Also is Paines for punters or is that reserved?

Depends on how many tents I reckon. If just yourself then I reckon you might find a spot, but it will be pretty busy by the time you've got through the gates and then walked all the way there. The others I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with at that time.

I think Paines is for crew camping.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on how many tents I reckon. If just yourself then I reckon you might find a spot, but it will be pretty busy by the time you've got through the gates and then walked all the way there. The others I don't think you'll have too much of a problem with at that time.

I think Paines is for crew camping.

3 or 4 tents so maybe dairy ground you reckon??

I may look at big ground or row mead this year then if I dont camp with mates or mix with one of the solo groups.....coming in from gate a as travelling by bus, getting in about half hour after gates open if last year is anything to go by as getting a bus the exact same time, hopefully theyll still be space by the time ive trekked over from a. or though if I camp there itll be solo so hopefully should find a small plot for my 2 man tent no problems anyway

I reckon with a 2 man tent you could fit into pretty much any field you like all the way up to Thursday afternoon (except maybe Pennard and Park). Arriving as early as you are you won't have a problem with any field, I think.

Big Ground is my home.

Don't enjoy the Tuesday evening queue to get a good spot though.

Does anyone else queue early or do you always find a good spot and arrive early-ish Wednesday?

Yeah, for us too. The Tuesday night is pretty hardcore, but totally worth it! We must have been in the first hundred or so to get through gate C last year as I was tabbing pretty hard to bag a spot, turned past the kids field and was greeted by a fairly vast expanse of greenery! I like to live in a bit more comfort these days, so local amenities and a quieter area for when I finally do decide to crash out is perfect.

Has anyone camped in South Park before? Tort's Guide mentions that it is about 10 mins from the Park and further from other entertainments but it looks really close on the map. Anyone know how far it is from the SE corner?

Equally if anyone has camped in Bailey's is that far from The Park and SE corner?

I really enjoyed South Park in 2013. It's much more popular now than it once was, probably because of it's reputation as a quieter corner of the festival. For my money the view from the top row by the fence is the best on site and crawling out of your tent in the morning to the sight of the whole place laid out before you is unbeatable.

It looks closer than it is because there is a crew camping area separating Park and South Park, so you have to walk down and round to get to the Park.

It IS a trek to and from your tent, so if you plan on multiple trips back and forth to your tent during a day it is probably not a great location. If you camp at the top of the hill (worth it) it seems like a real slog the first time you drag your kit up there, but by Friday you don't even notice it.

South Park has been extended this year, so plenty more space should be available.

I really enjoyed South Park in 2013. It's much more popular now than it once was, probably because of it's reputation as a quieter corner of the festival. For my money the view from the top row by the fence is the best on site and crawling out of your tent in the morning to the sight of the whole place laid out before you is unbeatable.

It looks closer than it is because there is a crew camping area separating Park and South Park, so you have to walk down and round to get to the Park.

It IS a trek to and from your tent, so if you plan on multiple trips back and forth to your tent during a day it is probably not a great location. If you camp at the top of the hill (worth it) it seems like a real slog the first time you drag your kit up there, but by Friday you don't even notice it.

South Park has been extended this year, so plenty more space should be available.

Ahhh thought it must be something like crew camping. Sounds like a good spot though. We were in Bushy last year and anything is better than the muddy slog through Silver Hayes!

Has anyone camped in South Park before? Tort's Guide mentions that it is about 10 mins from the Park and further from other entertainments but it looks really close on the map. Anyone know how far it is from the SE corner?

Equally if anyone has camped in Bailey's is that far from The Park and SE corner?

Thanks

Been in baileys the last couple of years. I like it, it is quiet and the trees are a godsend in the morning. It is, however, quite the trek from anything. I'd certainly plan not to go back to camp once you leave in the morning, it's a trek!

Been in baileys the last couple of years. I like it, it is quiet and the trees are a godsend in the morning. It is, however, quite the trek from anything. I'd certainly plan not to go back to camp once you leave in the morning, it's a trek!

Thanks for replying!

Hmmm may rethink as we felt Bushy was too far out last year. Trouble is our coach isn't getting us there until 12 so we may not make it into any of the more popular areas with 3 4 man tents.

We'll be getting to site on Thursday early morning (through the night drive) on East side, anywhere near the acoustic area will be fine for us we hope! Wouldn't really want to schlep all our gear across the site after that walk to the pedestrian gate! Lol

Camped at pylon the last 3 or 4 years, can't recommend it enough for many reasons...

1. We can't get ther until Thursday afternon and there's always been loads of space still

2. Close to Gate a, really short walk down the hill once you're through the gate

3. Quite quiet campsite

4. Loads of nice people, not too loud

5. Ideal for the east part of the site, only a couple of minutes a walk down the hill to the Dance village and JP

6. Never been too long a walk from parking to Gate A

Last year was my first and we camped in Bushy Ground which was quite good, but whats Michaels Mead like at around 3-4ish Wednesday? Also, does it have the compost loos or just drops?

On a side note, I think the twix story is still the single best thing I have ever read on any forum, ever.

Ok, I'm gonna bite. whats the twix story??

Oh for gawd's sake, HMV, I'm a Glastonbury virgin and even I know the Twix® story!

Clearly your obsessive forum lurking has not reached my pathological level!

Could someone link HMV to THAT thread/story. It's a long, but entirely brilliant story and fills the reader with Glastonbury spirit!

Ben

x