Lineup 2016

Matt42

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday: Foals, Lower Than Atlantis, Nothing But Thieves, Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes, Crystal Castles
I'm a little disappointed that BBK are that high up on the main stage (personal preference - can't stand them)

Saturday: RHCP, Imagine Dragons, Courteeners, Slaves, Parkway Drive, Skindred, Sundara Karma
Looks like I'll be missing out on Mastodon, TDCC and Crossfaith as the main stage has a load of bands I've wanted to see for ages. Really pleased to see Sundara Karma opening up the main stage!

Sunday: Biffy, FOB, Vaccines, Basement
Again, some horrible potential clashes and will be gutted to be missing out on The 1975, the Wombat, Cage the Elephant, The Temper Trap and Good Charlotte.

Saturday is so strong, very weak Sunday thanks to the clashes and Friday is pretty good. Happier than I was at this point last year :) Just really hoping that Biffy and Foals close Reading on Friday and Sunday!!

Edited by AndrewSmith

45 minutes ago, AndrewSmith said:

Really pleased to see Sundara Karma opening up the main stage!

Saturday is so strong, very weak Sunday thanks to the clashes and Friday is pretty good. Happier than I was at this point last year :) Just really hoping that Biffy and Foals close Reading on Friday and Sunday!!

they are getting more recognition and it is long overdue.

biffy are closing both reading and leeds according to their websit, foals have said they're closing at reading i think. they might not be as popular up north? anyway, the poster would look better if disclosure and fob were just subs and biffy and foals just closed at both places.

7 hours ago, DomDom1984 said:

Are the same bands closing both venues? That'd be lovely. 

It seems that way, I wish they'd just cut all this co-headliner crap. Foals, RHCP & Biffy are all decent headliners and I think having Fall out boy & Disclosure actually subbing would make the bill look stronger. Especially when you have Chvrches & Vaccines "subbing" 

The line up does actually look really strong, it's just the idea of FOB and Disclosure being 'headliners' although in actual fact they're both seemingly essentially playing sub roles. I'm guessing the co-headline thing is done to justify them both getting longer sets. Seems pointless though

16 minutes ago, Buko said:

Especially when you have Chvrches & Vaccines "subbing" 

i thought for a while that chvrches shouldn't be subbing and they are not big enough, but someone on here said that although they aren't that big, they are a great live band and it seems to be that way after looking at their live performances, they'll make disclosure look even worse. i think they deserve that spot now and that's often what R&L is praised for, pushing up smaller bands so they can move on to bigger and better things.

17 minutes ago, conroy17 said:

The line up does actually look really strong, it's just the idea of FOB and Disclosure being 'headliners' although in actual fact they're both seemingly essentially playing sub roles. I'm guessing the co-headline thing is done to justify them both getting longer sets. Seems pointless though

totally agree 

3 minutes ago, DirtyChorizo said:

i thought for a while that chvrches shouldn't be subbing and they are not big enough, but someone on here said that although they aren't that big, they are a great live band and it seems to be that way after looking at their live performances, they'll make disclosure look even worse. i think they deserve that spot now and that's often what R&L is praised for, pushing up smaller bands so they can move on to bigger and better things.

totally agree 

I think its hard to compare and rate Disclosure on the same scale as other live acts. They are creating house music live, not just pressing a button/mixing tracks.

Just now, Gozpot said:

I don't think we can say FOB don't deserve to be co-headliners and Foals do, regardless of your opinion on the two bands, Fall Out Boy are a much bigger band, they're much more well known and do much better in the charts.

Yeah but Foals are sick and FOB's last 2 albums have been worse than putting dog turd in a CD player.

I agree, the last two albums are absolute shite, but they've charted well and as Reading is leaning more and more towards chart music, really id have been surprised to see them not co-headlining this year, they were going to make the jump at some point, so not surprised off the back of a commercially successful album. Foals I would still think need that bit more to push them to headline, but I won't complain, they'll put on a hell of a show, better than getting a headliner who is shit live.

8 minutes ago, Stuielooie said:

I think its hard to compare and rate Disclosure on the same scale as other live acts. They are creating house music live, not just pressing a button/mixing tracks.

chvrches are also a synth heavy dance music act, i think they are pretty comparable tbh, the only difference is chvrches make good music.

Excluding Clashes.

Biffy Clyro, The Vaccines, The 1975, The Wombats, Cage The Elephant, Savages, Temper Trap, Ezra Furman, The Magic Gang, The Vryll Society, Spring King, Foals, CHVRCHES, Frank Turner & The Sleepng Souls, Crystal Castles, Nothing But Thieves, Hinds, Maximo Park, Pulled Apart By Horses, The Sherlocks, Imagine Dragons, The Courteeners, Slaves, Sundara Karma, Two Door Cinema Club, HAIM, Blossoms, Inheaven, Brian Fallon & The Crowes, VANT.

Edited by Foals/Disclosure

16 hours ago, Gozpot said:

Don't think it'll be TLSP or Weezer, Weezer would 100% be billed and TLSP i don't see Alex Turner accepting a secret set as big enough for him. Royal Blood or Enter Shikari for me, both would be big secret sets, both could play next year (Which normally happens with secret sets, at least with the last few years), leaning more towards Shikari as they've just had Hevy cancelled the weekend before and no longer have the exclusivity to them.

A secret set played by Green Day and Foals not big enough for him?

17 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

rage against the machine were 4th down in 2000 a.k.a they were non headliners and then headlined in 2008. just because an act has been moved from midcard to headliner doesn't mean the festival has gotten worse, it just means the acts have gotten better/bigger

None of those acts mentioned have gotten bigger since 2013 other than Foals and maybe Deftones. They were just good, high profile, non-headline acts on the lineup which they've seemingly given up with this year other than Nas.

5 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

None of those acts mentioned have gotten bigger since 2013 other than Foals and maybe Deftones. They were just good, high profile, non-headline acts on the lineup which they've seemingly given up with this year other than Nas.

and the only act playing in 2016 out of that list is foals which supports my point.

1 hour ago, conroy17 said:

Yeah basically both those bands are just getting 10-15 minutes longer set. 

30 Seconds to Mars back in 2011 were given a 75 minute set and they were not billed as headliners.

If you are a fan of Biffy or Foals, it means you are losing out on 15 mins of music because of this nonsense.

I'm warming to the line-up, some decent newer bands, there is just to many bands high up on the bill that I don't like, Vaccines, Courteeers Imagine Dragons etc were I would have preferred a Weezer, Beck in one of those slots.

Who will do the secret set? My money is on Bring me The Horizon who are playing Rock en Seine that weekend.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

What was your point then? He said 2013 was strong because of those strong acts in non-headline slots. Just because one is now bigger that doesn't mean anything or lessen his point.

we've already been through this and i misunderstood what he was saying. although as a general point not in reply to anyone, i think if an act moves up in the rankings t probably just means that they have gotten better not the festival has gotten worse but i understand that isn't what deadpheasant was saying now.

18 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

rage against the machine were 4th down in 2000 a.k.a they were non headliners and then headlined in 2008. just because an act has been moved from midcard to headliner doesn't mean the festival has gotten worse, it just means the acts have gotten better/bigger

18 hours ago, deadpheasant said:

well I was 6 in 2000 so I wouldn't know lol.

I didn't say the festival had gotten worse. Just 2013 had some incredible bookings of it's year which were backed up by strong performances.

18 hours ago, DirtyChorizo said:

that's fair, 2013 had a great lineup, just the way it was phrased i perceived it as you saying that because the acts that are headlining now were no headliners then, shows the decline in the festival, but obviously i was wrong xD