• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why's that then.....

Uninspiring line up?

Same shit different year?

Mud?

Financial?

None of those reasons really. I think it's a little bit to do with age and the size of the place now. I'm not as spritly as I used to be, even when chemically assisted. I've also tried a few smaller festivals this year and feel like I want to explore them more. I've been going to Glastonbury for donkey's years now, so there's also an element of maybe I should let someone younger or newer to Glastonbury take my place. A bit of a mixed bag of reasons really.

Great videos Mr Shorts - thanks for those.

I think we're all right. Theres no evidence of them trying to rip us off (far from it) - but for good or ill its got to be run as an effective business or its fucked in the medium term. The two things can (and indeed have to) exist together no problem.

They could make a lot more money, but instead they choose to make enough.

The festival still has fallow years - 2017 is the next one - so they must still feel that they need one for some reason. I think it helps have a fallow year for certain infrastructure works around the site that would take more than a whole year to complete.

As for a fallow year putting people off - doubt this very strongly - I mean the tix just sold out in Oct in what, 20 mins or something this time!

Would love ME to 'de-emphasise' the focus on headliners - after all it becomes a tougher act to follow each year and one bum booking and / or bad PR following that could give us another 2008 situation regarding ticket sales....

Why exactly? A 2 year break would actually likely mean bands being repeated more as they would likely in that time have a new album to play :P

Its not that much of a problem yet anyway, I can't think of any other good reason for the festival to take two years off. (Unless the Eavi wanted a break from all the madnesS?)

I totally agree with what Pinhead says about trying to take the emphasis off of big headliners. In the 80s and 90s the festival always had a lineup that was less stellar than Reading's each year, but the attraction was the freedom, the wider appeal of attractions and the Glastonbury magic.

T'other one, bit long but she makes some points

Thanks for posting those videos. Great to hear michael's attitude to it as a hobby he enjoys... and then emily's

pride in building new headliners. For all of the talk on here of some headliners not being worthy (pun intended) it's difficult to think of recent years where they've got it really wrong and anyone has gone down terribly, even if they're not all to my taste. If they can continue to do this then i don't think there is a need for a break for that reason. Roll on June, whoever the headliners are...

My age being what it is and the onset of some health issues means I want to grab as many as I can whilst I'm here/ fit enough.

That's an understandable approach too. I think there may be a, dare I say it, x factor that's stopping me as well as the other reasons I've mentioned. I'm kind of under the impression that it's a self survival thing.

That's an understandable approach too. I think there may be a, dare I say it, x factor that's stopping me as well as the other reasons I've mentioned. I'm kind of under the impression that it's a self survival thing.

Agreed. For me there's definitely a level in my head where i think if I stop/ give in and not go because my mobility is so much more limited - I'll never get back there in subsequents. And that of course then kicks back into how you view your ability generally.

I've been going off and on since 81 - be damned if I'm stopping now.

I'm having a two year break, at least. After attending nearly every one since 97, our gang have got a bit jaded. Have to say it didn't bother me in the slightest not trying on ticket day, and I really thought it would! As it happens I found out a few days after that date that I'm going to be a dad again just before Glasto rolls around so would have missed it anyway. So enjoy everyone, I think I may be absent a while but will return one day!

Edited by Trebor

Agreed. For me there's definitely a level in my head where i think if I stop/ give in and not go because my mobility is so much more limited - I'll never get back there in subsequents. And that of course then kicks back into how you view your ability generally.

I've been going off and on since 81 - be damned if I'm stopping now.

I know how you feel - I have ' peripheral arterial disease in my left leg ' - I am having Doppler ultrasound tomorrow - they have to track down the exact location and that will decide if I need a Stent or Bypass surgery
Stent recovery time is a few days - Bypass surgery is a few weeks. - With all the appointments to see Consultants and further scans I may not get the operation until June or later so I may not be very mobile next year.
I will be there as I cant miss it - it will be 35 years since I first started going { it will be 30 actual events } - at least if I not on my feet I can still get a lift in one of the WBC buggies but I may be lucky and get a cancellation but you never know with the NHS.

I know how you feel - I have ' peripheral arterial disease in my left leg ' - I am having Doppler ultrasound tomorrow - they have to track down the exact location and that will decide if I need a Stent or Bypass surgery
Stent recovery time is a few days - Bypass surgery is a few weeks. - With all the appointments to see Consultants and further scans I may not get the operation until June or later so I may not be very mobile next year.
I will be there as I cant miss it - it will be 35 years since I first started going { it will be 30 actual events } - at least if I not on my feet I can still get a lift in one of the WBC buggies but I may be lucky and get a cancellation but you never know with the NHS.

I hope you get that cancellation glasto-worker, as yours is a fine record of attendance.