Jump to content
bennyhana22

Electronica/Dance

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

You mean Moderat?  I missed it that year, ended up staying on the Pyramid because I make *great* decisions.  

Is probably up there in my all time festival regrets.   Fortunately I saw Moderat earlier in the year but it wasn't the same!

 

Modeselektor were last in glasto in '16 and their schedule appears to have a glasto sized hole in it at the moment so there's a chance.  They'd probably end up in Silver Hayes again but I'd absolutely love it if they got a set at Arcadia

 

Hahahah yeah, cheers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

Tale of us seem to be making a lot of noise... I dont really get it.

All a bit mellow for me.

 

What am I missing?

 

Don't listen to loads of them, but the Caribou - Can't do without you Remix they did with Mano Le Tough is one of my favorites!! 

Really encourage a listen 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have completely lost my voice and developed a cold which is terrible timing for Amelie Lens tonight. Think I might go completely sober and skulk off home after her set. Far from ideal but I don't want to miss it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Have completely lost my voice and developed a cold which is terrible timing for Amelie Lens tonight. Think I might go completely sober and skulk off home after her set. Far from ideal but I don't want to miss it. 

Seen her twice in the last few months. She is spot on. Definitely go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I have a question, hopefully one of you can help. Does anyone know of any DJs or acts that tend to play techno around the 100bpm mark? 

100bpm is not techno...

;)

Ben

(I realise that wasn’t terribly helpful...!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Have completely lost my voice and developed a cold which is terrible timing for Amelie Lens tonight. Think I might go completely sober and skulk off home after her set. Far from ideal but I don't want to miss it. 

Or just go and go Full Metal Refreshments and get off your tits. Medical advice, that...

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

A random question.

Tale of us seem to be making a lot of noise... I dont really get it.

All a bit mellow for me.

 

What am I missing?

 

I love their sound and the Endless Remixes on Spotify are a good listen but both times I've seen them I've not really felt it.

Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood then but I found it a bit too ambient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Or just go and go Full Metal Refreshments and get off your tits. Medical advice, that...

Ben

 

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Seen her twice in the last few months. She is spot on. Definitely go!

 

You've both convinced me. Full report tomorrow guys!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

100bpm is not techno...

;)

Ben

(I realise that wasn’t terribly helpful...!)

😂 very helpful, thanks Ben. I'd be interested to think why you think that way though, even if it is tongue-in-cheek. Always good to have a healthy debate.

I'd also argue that "OPR" and "Obsession" by Gesaffelstein and even "Deception" by Emile Strunz might have something to say about that, too 😄 

I'm looking for more acts along the lines of the above, I appreciate it's rare but it's a sound I love. I've been quite vocal of my appreciation for Monsieur Levy, he'd definitely be in my absolutely-must-sees if he made an appearance at the Big G.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

😂 very helpful, thanks Ben. I'd be interested to think why you think that way though, even if it is tongue-in-cheek. Always good to have a healthy debate.

I'd also argue that "OPR" and "Obsession" by Gesaffelstein and even "Deception" by Emile Strunz might have something to say about that, too 😄 

I'm looking for more acts along the lines of the above, I appreciate it's rare but it's a sound I love. I've been quite vocal of my appreciation for Monsieur Levy, he'd definitely be in my absolutely-must-sees if he made an appearance at the Big G.

 

For me, techno is techno only when all the requisite constituent parts are present. That doesn't translate as a 'list' that I check off, more that I can feel when they're all there. Bpm is an integral and essential part of that, to the point whereby a track that is otherwise 'perfect' can really fall down for me if the bpm is too fast or two slow.

There seems to be something of a growing trend for techno to be made at increasing bpm, with a greater incidence of quite reverby kick/bass beats - what I sometimes describe to my mates as 'whomp whomp whomp'**. These sort of tracks are often/usually not very well put together, relying on somewhat cliched tropes and 'NRG', but without any great compositional or transitional merit. This stuff is often hitting the mid-130s bpm which is, for me, nudging too fast.

Why too fast? I can't explain it other than to say that, when all those intangible, necessary elements are in place, in a beautifully constructed track at Gods' Own Tempo of 125-129bpm, I am totally immersed in the music. So much so that if I hear a track like that in a non-dance environment - e.g. click on a YouTube video or something, I get an immediate, visceral reaction...I am immediately overcome with that rush that you get on the dancefloor when everything comes together.

That's not to say that I can only enjoy techno tracks that unfailingly contain a+b+c+d etc. It's more of there being the 'right' combination of everything, and I think most people into dance music know what 'their combination is'. So, that's my typically brief way of answering the question as to why 100bpm 'isn't techno'! For me, techno is techno. Ambient, lo-key stuff with a regular, pulsing beat at 90bpm can be perfectly lovely to listen to, but for this dancer it's not techno.

Get much above low-130s and, in fact, I want you to speed it UP a bit, crank up the euphoria and massive washing chords and let me dance to trance, which I love, but gives me a different experience to my 125-129bpm uber-tempo.

But then, as most people here would attest, I'm a massive know-it-all-who-knows-very-little-really...!

:)

Ben

 

** for the record, I like my kick drums to be punchy and crisp and not resonating with reverb...

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

😂 very helpful, thanks Ben. I'd be interested to think why you think that way though, even if it is tongue-in-cheek. Always good to have a healthy debate.

I'd also argue that "OPR" and "Obsession" by Gesaffelstein and even "Deception" by Emile Strunz might have something to say about that, too 😄 

I'm looking for more acts along the lines of the above, I appreciate it's rare but it's a sound I love. I've been quite vocal of my appreciation for Monsieur Levy, he'd definitely be in my absolutely-must-sees if he made an appearance at the Big G.

 

I guess the first Daniel Avery album has some slower 115bpm chuggers on it, the Syclops (Maurice Fulton) album with Jump Bugs has some stuff that might fit into that category I guess? Erol Alkan has a habit of playing some of the slower acid-y bits from time to time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, Tale of Us is very hit or miss live, especially as they have gotten bigger and bigger over the years and drawn more of a mainstream crowd. But their Renaissance Mix never gets old

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bennyhana22 said:

For me, techno is techno only when all the requisite constituent parts are present. That doesn't translate as a 'list' that I check off, more that I can feel when they're all there. Bpm is an integral and essential part of that, to the point whereby a track that is otherwise 'perfect' can really fall down for me if the bpm is too fast or two slow.

There seems to be something of a growing trend for techno to be made at increasing bpm, with a greater incidence of quite reverby kick/bass beats - what I sometimes describe to my mates as 'whomp whomp whomp'**. These sort of tracks are often/usually not very well put together, relying on somewhat cliched tropes and 'NRG', but without any great compositional or transitional merit. This stuff is often hitting the mid-130s bpm which is, for me, nudging too fast.

Why too fast? I can't explain it other than to say that, when all those intangible, necessary elements are in place, in a beautifully constructed track at Gods' Own Tempo of 125-129bpm, I am totally immersed in the music. So much so that if I hear a track like that in a non-dance environment - e.g. click on a YouTube video or something, I get an immediate, visceral reaction...I am immediately overcome with that rush that you get on the dancefloor when everything comes together.

That's not to say that I can only enjoy techno tracks that unfailingly contain a+b+c+d etc. It's more of there being the 'right' combination of everything, and I think most people into dance music know what 'their combination is'. So, that's my typically brief way of answering the question as to why 100bpm 'isn't techno'! For me, techno is techno. Ambient, lo-key stuff with a regular, pulsing beat at 90bpm can be perfectly lovely to listen to, but for this dancer it's not techno.

Get much above low-130s and, in fact, I want you to speed it UP a bit, crank up the euphoria and massive washing chords and let me dance to trance, which I love, but gives me a different experience to my 125-129bpm uber-tempo.

But then, as most people here would attest, I'm a massive know-it-all-who-knows-very-little-really...!

:)

Ben

 

** for the record, I like my kick drums to be punchy and crisp and not resonating with reverb...

I love this, Ben. Great to see people with such a deep and intelligent passion (without being pretentious, it's important to add) for electronica. My music taste as a whole is not necessarily that sophisticated but your explanation makes complete sense to me. I absolutely relate to the being immersed comment, too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Matt - Ed Banger Records said:

I guess the first Daniel Avery album has some slower 115bpm chuggers on it, the Syclops (Maurice Fulton) album with Jump Bugs has some stuff that might fit into that category I guess? Erol Alkan has a habit of playing some of the slower acid-y bits from time to time.

Thanks Matt, I'll check them out tonight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I love this, Ben. Great to see people with such a deep and intelligent passion (without being pretentious, it's important to add) for electronica. My music taste as a whole is not necessarily that sophisticated but your explanation makes complete sense to me. I absolutely relate to the being immersed comment, too

Thanks, SC. You’re very kind, as some (e.g. my family!) might think I’m excruciatingly boring about all of this. 

I’ve been thinking a bit more about why bpm (not the number as such, but the right tempo) is so important to my experience. Without getting all spiritual crap about it (though the techno dance floor IS my ‘spiritual’ place...), it seems that the 125-129 bpm tempo is ‘the one’ that feels the most natural. The back and forth hypnotic pulse of the beat resonates perfectly inside me, giving me, as I’ve said, a unique sensation that the SAME music at a different tempo just doesn’t quite match. It’s a bit weird, to be honest...!

What are your favoured areas of dance music? What artists/settings/events do it for you the most?

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love this. Bouncy, trippy techno. I will be playing it in a few weeks, the next time I play to a crowd.

As an aside @bennyhana22 - this was the last tune played at Boomtown by Enrico Sanguiliano before the police turned it off. The last tune I heard at Boomtown 2018 (probably you too)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I love this. Bouncy, trippy techno. I will be playing it in a few weeks, the next time I play to a crowd.

As an aside @bennyhana22 - this was the last tune played at Boomtown by Enrico Sanguiliano before the police turned it off. The last tune I heard at Boomtown 2018 (probably you too)

 

 

O.M.G.

Thanks for taking me back, Fuzzy. As we’ve discussed, possibly my favourite ever techno set closer - just a perfect track for that moment. 10 minutes of euphoric, near-perfect techno. And we’ve long established that you and I sing from the same techno hymn sheet. And, @Supernintendo Chalmers, with not a smidgeon of smart-arsedness...guess what? It’s 128bpm!!

🙌🏽

Ben

(out of upvotes today, sorry)

Edited by bennyhana22
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Vietnam for three weeks over January was a right lovely time.

Has anyone been to Savage in Hanoi before?

We arrived late on a Sunday night and wondered what we'd done, as we were greeted with a fairly standard room playing average house.

We spent about an hour there, and went to leave to go back to the hostel when we saw one of our pals. He calls us silly twats and makes us follow him down a dark smokey corridor...Bit weird, bit shit. Fair enough.

We then emerge onto this absolutely incredible terrace area FILLED with smoke, and a balloon bar - and I swear to god some of the best music I've ever heard.

I still don't know if we were outside or inside due to the smoke and the darkness, but fuck me, the tunes. An unbelievable mix of early acid house, techno, and some groovers. Everyone on a perfect vibe, and illuminated for a few seconds by the strobes before the smoke claimed them again. 

It was one of those seminal moments you only get at a rave when the music and the crowd is just right. Unreal.

 

In other news, I've just got a Junction 2 ticket for the Saturday. Bosh.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

O.M.G.

Thanks for taking me back, Fuzzy. As we’ve discussed, possibly my favourite ever techno set closer - just a perfect track for that moment. 10 minutes of euphoric, near-perfect techno. And we’ve long established that you and I sing from the same techno hymn sheet. And, @Supernintendo Chalmers, with not a smidgeon of smart-arsedness...guess what? It’s 128bpm!! 

🙌🏽

Ben

(out of upvotes today, sorry)

126bpm......sorry to be pedantic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

126bpm......sorry to be pedantic!

Bugger! Beatport lists the original mix at 128bpm, so I thought I was on safe ground! I’ll bow, of course, to someone who actually spins this stuff!

Ben

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I love this. Bouncy, trippy techno. I will be playing it in a few weeks, the next time I play to a crowd.

As an aside @bennyhana22 - this was the last tune played at Boomtown by Enrico Sanguiliano before the police turned it off. The last tune I heard at Boomtown 2018 (probably you too)

 

 

Ooooh, that's a bit good that. Thank you for posting it

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zacko said:

While we're on the topic of Victor Ruiz slammers...

That is another peach Zacko... I have a bit of a penchant for all things ruiz at the moment. Finally got to see him in Manchester just before Christmas and he was fantastic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...