Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

Now you know that I'm not a negative Nora, but I've been through the entire Glade Dome line-up and it would appear that Glastonbury no longer wants to have any psytrance at the festival 😭. Originally on the Thursday night in Glade Lounge, and more recently Sunday night in the Dome, it is one of the things I look forward to the most. The crowds are invariably fantastic, as everyone has made a purposeful beeline to that specific genre.

I'm a little bit sad, team. There appears to be masses of DnB on the Glade Dome line-up, and isn't it represented in spades elsewhere around the festival? I really feel that there are genres that are neglected in a festival of this size. Of course, it will come down to popularity amongst the masses, I'm sure, but still...

Anyway, I won't sulk (I might for a little bit, but then I'll be ok!). For me, only really The Orb, Avery and Effy calling to me right now, but I'll do my customary obsessive homework and we'll see! Block9, I really need you to come through this year 🤪.

Ben

28 minutes ago, robahht said:

Best since i've been going! Also the implications for other stages like Daniel Avery's instagram post which is teasing me... are we getting my dream B2B with HAAi on Genosys...?

Completely agree! I don't often end up seeing much on Glade but there is a lot on there I'd be very tempted to go to. 

Agree with others on here saying that this will hopefully pull crowds away from SEC, and will definitely be tempting for me as an alternative! The last few years we've ended up worshiping at the head (IICON) more than I'd have perhaps liked just because it's massive and you get lots of room. 

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Now you know that I'm not a negative Nora, but I've been through the entire Glade Dome line-up and it would appear that Glastonbury no longer wants to have any psytrance at the festival 😭. Originally on the Thursday night in Glade Lounge, and more recently Sunday night in the Dome, it is one of the things I look forward to the most. The crowds are invariably fantastic, as everyone has made a purposeful beeline to that specific genre.

I'm a little bit sad, team. There appears to be masses of DnB on the Glade Dome line-up, and isn't it represented in spades elsewhere around the festival? I really feel that there are genres that are neglected in a festival of this size. Of course, it will come down to popularity amongst the masses, I'm sure, but still...

Anyway, I won't sulk (I might for a little bit, but then I'll be ok!). For me, only really The Orb, Avery and Effy calling to me right now, but I'll do my customary obsessive homework and we'll see! Block9, I really need you to come through this year 🤪.

Ben

It does definitely feel like they've shaken up their offering this year. On a personal level it's good for me as it's unlikely I'd go and see psytrance, however I completely understand where you're coming from. Feels like a bit of a progression of the Glade's identity perhaps?

I'm not sure what your go-to dance music would be, but I'd strongly recommend checking out Shy One for an incredibly eclectic vinyl collection, and for fun housey vibes on Dome there's Demi Requismo, Gene on Earth, Laidlaw and Yemz which might be worth a listen  🙂

See also Wodda for big wobbly 140 and baseline.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Ben

Completely agree. Glade was the last place they had any Prog/ Trance type acts. Which is what those trees/ areas are ideal for. I prob wouldn't go watch a psy trance act (other stuff yes) but this is the home of it all. The whole vibe in that area is basically a trance festival. WTF? 

It used to be stacked with your usual Prog masters (Sasha, Digweed) and then some lesser known trance stuff. 

I honestly don't know what the f**k is going on. There now is nowhere playing anything vaguely Prog/ trance/ Anjunabeats/ Anjuna Deep type acts. It's completely bizarre considering the scale of that industry and also considering Glastonbury is by far the most trancey/ prog/ hippy of vibes out of the main festivals. 

Edited by danbailey80
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sundance said:

It does definitely feel like they've shaken up their offering this year. On a personal level it's good for me as it's unlikely I'd go and see psytrance, however I completely understand where you're coming from. Feels like a bit of a progression of the Glade's identity perhaps?

I'm not sure what your go-to dance music would be, but I'd strongly recommend checking out Shy One for an incredibly eclectic vinyl collection, and for fun housey vibes on Dome there's Demi Requismo, Gene on Earth, Laidlaw and Yemz which might be worth a listen  🙂

See also Wodda for big wobbly 140 and baseline.

That's really kind...but all those artists, as excellent as I am sure they are, are not really my thing!

I'm very much a techno/electro/breaks/glitchy person, but I also adore really good psytrance and I've had some phenomenal nights at the Glade Lounge and Dome!

But, hey, there is masses of stuff everywhere, and I won't go wanting. Just that The Glade has always had a prog/psych vibe to it and whilst evolution is excellent, I can't help but worry that the site overall will become too homogenised if it's not careful. I've seen that at many other festivals over the years. 

Still, Block9, Arcadia, The Common and the revitalised Silver Hayes all still to come!

🙌🏼

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22

1 minute ago, bennyhana22 said:

That's really kind...but all those artists, as excellent as I am sure they are, are not really my thing!

I'm very much a techno/electro/breaks/glitchy person, but I also adore really good psytrance and I've had some phenomenal nights at the Glade Lounge and Dome!

But, hey, there is masses of stuff everywhere, and I won't go wanting. Just that The Glade has always had a prog/psych vibe to it and whilst evolution is excellent, I can't help but worry that the site overall will become to homogenised if it's not careful. I've seen that at many other festivals over the years. 

Still, Block9, Arcadia, The Common and the revitalised Silver Hayes all still to come!

🙌🏼

Ben

No worries, totally understood! From what you've described it sounds like you and I might have similar taste 🙂 roll on Block9.

I agree there is a distinct lack of the acts you'd usually find on Glade this year. Is there a chance that they might put more of the traditional psytrance acts on one of the other stages? Spike Bar maybe? Can't recall now if they usually get their own line up.

I made a playlist for Nowhere stage this year so people can listen to everybody on the poster.

If people want one made for all the electronic stages let me know!

Edited by hjwright
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

But, hey, there is masses of stuff everywhere, and I won't go wanting. Just that The Glade has always had a prog/psych vibe to it and whilst evolution is excellent, I can't help but worry that the site overall will become too homogenised if it's not careful. I've seen that at many other festivals over the years. 

🙌🏼

Ben

I do get what you mean, I do like dnb and I’m already keen to see loads of acts actually announced my preference is techno/trance and I am partial to psytrance and I did see lots of complaints about the amount of dnb last year which I do understand as you don’t want every area sounding the same, and you need something for everyone to enjoy. 

11 minutes ago, Claire0406 said:

I do get what you mean, I do like dnb and I’m already keen to see loads of acts actually announced my preference is techno/trance and I am partial to psytrance and I did see lots of complaints about the amount of dnb last year which I do understand as you don’t want every area sounding the same, and you need something for everyone to enjoy. 

As said, lots to come, and out of upvotes, so replying properly!

Ben

Feels like Ewan Mcvicar has gone under the radar a bit,he was absolutely brilliant on the Glade last year. 

Will definitely be seeing him on the Nowhere stage.

On another point, where the hell is the nowhere stage?

This will be my third year and still not managed to make any sense of the SEC. Mainly due to how busy it is.

3 minutes ago, SquaredCircle1 said:

Feels like Ewan Mcvicar has gone under the radar a bit,he was absolutely brilliant on the Glade last year. 

This will be my third year and still not managed to make any sense of the SEC. Mainly due to how busy it is.

It's the old gas tower.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Completely different world, these days, isn't it. Weirdly, I was down a YouTube rabbit hole last week, watching old uploaded VHS from early 90s events and I caught a glimpse of me trudging down the stairs and out of the door at the old Plymouth Warehouse in 1994. I'm glad it was a glimpse and no other footage of that time is available...well, none that I know of

Did u ever make it to any of the Dance planet or Obsession events at Cornwall collossium. I went to a few back then, must have been 17/18. Great memories.

2 hours ago, SquaredCircle1 said:

It's in Shangri La, follow the signs. Maybe go there in the day when it's quieter and bright to get your bearings? 

12 hours ago, SquaredCircle1 said:

Despite advertising its actually somewhere. 

Its between  Truth stage and the Rocket Lounge + Dulux Diner if that helps 

14 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

Completely agree. Glade was the last place they had any Prog/ Trance type acts. Which is what those trees/ areas are ideal for. I prob wouldn't go watch a psy trance act (other stuff yes) but this is the home of it all. The whole vibe in that area is basically a trance festival. WTF? 

It used to be stacked with your usual Prog masters (Sasha, Digweed) and then some lesser known trance stuff. 

I honestly don't know what the f**k is going on. There now is nowhere playing anything vaguely Prog/ trance/ Anjunabeats/ Anjuna Deep type acts. It's completely bizarre considering the scale of that industry and also considering Glastonbury is by far the most trancey/ prog/ hippy of vibes out of the main festivals. 

This is what I am looking for, being an old trance head myself. I kind of fell off the scene for years and now don't know who the up and coming artists are. Been listening to anjunadeep stuff for a few years now and loving it, I really hope to see some names I recognise on Silver Hayes or other areas this year. Drum n Bass doesn't do it for me. Every time I take a wonder it seems like everywhere is playing it apart from the Glade, so it's a shame if that's the direction the Glade has gone.

Edited by Dave_c

16 hours ago, gfa said:

don't think that many people want to be filmed particularly - its more about being close to the artist, which seems to be popular now

goes hand in hand with the general shift towards people facing the dj

I suppose its a good spot to stand too, your in the crowd but have a good amount of space. if one of my mates wanted to go there i'd probably follow to be with them vs on my own too i suppose

f**king hate all that facing the dj nonsense… makes me want to consciously never face them. Main reason why I don’t like venues like koko, because if you do that you get zero lights as they’re all aimed at the stage.

15 hours ago, robahht said:

Best since i've been going! Also the implications for other stages like Daniel Avery's instagram post which is teasing me... are we getting my dream B2B with HAAi on Genosys...?

Chance of an Avery live set creeping into the mix?

15 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

Lol at this. I might enjoy that music in a certain state but I want all of the people in the video to die as soon as possible.

And there was me thinking I was this thread’s sole bastion of extreme grumpiness… 😂

Edited by GrumpyRaver

12 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

f**king hate all that facing the dj nonsense… makes me want to consciously never face them. Main reason why I don’t like venues like koko, because if you do that you get zero lights as they’re all aimed at the stage.

One of the better venues at Glasto for the opposite of this is Deluxe Diner - never knew anyone on the lineup there but the setup and music is great (Depending on tastes). DJ booth tucked away in the corner, seemed to just be vinyl also