Electronica/Dance

bennyhana22

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

Not that it makes that much a difference, but saw a video & was some twat actually that jumped & knocked a girl out.

Yeah, sorry was going to edit my post. Only really saw the girl get helped out by security live so I assumed it was her who jumped.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Fucking attention seeking dickhead. Just dance, FFS. Complete vibe killer for a while, that must have been.

Ditto moshpits at DnB events. Maybe I'm getting too old, I dunno.

Yeh I love mosh pits at like a metal show but it feels wrong at dnb

On 1/6/2023 at 2:42 PM, Riggins said:

Some guy on his Discord is convinced he's headlining John Peel on Saturday incidentally 

He said he knew because he worked for the fruit and veg wholesalers, wouldn't read too much into it. Did seem very sure though and told me to come back in June!

On 1/7/2023 at 1:45 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Oi oi!

Happy New Year, E/D ravers.

Hope everyone is in good form. Obviously shitty about some of the faithful who had bad news on T Day - without question that was the most 'difficult' for our group and, as forunate as I know I am, we'd never been closer to failure.

We'll do an updated roll call come the spring to try to make sure we can get as many hands on deck and snaffle as many resales as possible.

My personal dance activity has been frustratingly thin on the ground. Had a fantastic night at the end of September in Brum, finally seeing Ben Sims (he really is class) and also Truncate. There's a new promotor group in the city called Anteprima who are trying to add a bit of variety and nuance to the techno scene, which is really exciting for me. As many of you will know, I continue to struggle with the persisting trend of harder and faster in UK techno (events), and Anteprima are looking to put on sets to include more hypnotic, deep, tribal stuff - a really refreshing change from the current direction of travel. That Ben Sims night included a second room for Anteprima, and I saw Boddika and Paula Koski, the latter being especially excellent. Only issue there was that the sound in the room was just not quite up to it - ironically, it probably would have managed the harder techno sounds in the big room, but the subtler stuff needed really crisp clarity. Oh well!

Next for me on paper is The Advent and Saytek (Live) on 24 March, again in Birmingham, presented by VOID, so I expect the sound to be on point. I am feverishly looking for something at the end of January, as it's been too long - feel free to ping me if you've got something that you're going to that I might travel for!

Otherwise, I really need to catch up with the thread (happy for anyone to post with a summary of key events 😄), but as we're now through the Solstice and into another Farm year, I intend to be back here as much as I can to guide and support the young padawans.

RE: Genosys Sound System. Hmmm. Main issue for me was that it just wasn't loud enough. Seriously quieter than the usual Big Green MonsterTM, and I felt at times that that impacted on the crowd. The Bus and the rig was not especially exciting as a spectacle (particularly compared to the mind-bending video mapping on my beloved, shabby apartment block!), and so if the sound quailty and volume are not drawing you in, that open area felt a bit meh. Not that I didn't have fun there. But, especially at a festival where there is a higher proportion of punters at dance stages more because it's a place to be/drink, rather than to really get into it, it's even more important that the atmosphere pulls them into dancing. So, for me, it was a bit of a damp squib. Welcome home, Genosys, we've missed you.

Ben
xx

Good to see you back on efests!

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

Theres a tiktok i saw yesterday that was literally the person who got jumped on's POV of this

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

Yeh I love mosh pits at like a metal show but it feels wrong at dnb

Ditto. I could maybe see it at a live DnB show, something like Noisia, Pendulum or even Chase & Status. Anywhere where it's expected, at very least. You don't expect to be watching Fourtet of all artists and a 150lb human landing on your head.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That's good to know, and absolutely the right thing. Did the guy get booted out?

Another person went out with security not sure if it was him or another person he'd injured. Hopefully it was him - there was only 15 mins left of the set by then tho so he wouldn't have missed much

3 hours ago, gfa said:

He said he knew because he worked for the fruit and veg wholesalers, wouldn't read too much into it. Did seem very sure though and told me to come back in June!

Good to see you back on efests!

Theres a tiktok i saw yesterday that was literally the person who got jumped on's POV of this

Damn, anything to stop Harry Styles being played... 

6 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Ditto moshpits at DnB events. Maybe I'm getting too old, I dunno.

Nah, you aren't, moshpits at raves/dance events annoy me so much - never used to happen as much, but recently I've been seeing loads of videos/TikTok's of them at a range of events from Hedex all the way to Nathan Dawe. Wish people would just dance instead of shoving everyone else about.

Yeah for sure, I heard Bassfest NYE was full of it, done the event quite a few years back a couple times, definitely attracts a very young and rowdy crowd. Even heard from people who did the S/FA../FT b3b there was a few pits there as well... Did seem to be a pretty young crowd once again, but am seeing and hearing about it happening more and more at all these different venues and events, not too sure why really?? My only guesses would be either TikTok, or, the lack of events during Covid and the 18/19yr olds expecting it to more be of the vibe of a festival like Reading & Leeds (where it is pit galore).

14 hours ago, stanh said:

Nah, you aren't, moshpits at raves/dance events annoy me so much - never used to happen as much, but recently I've been seeing loads of videos/TikTok's of them at a range of events from Hedex all the way to Nathan Dawe. Wish people would just dance instead of shoving everyone else about.

I would sooner have root canal surgery than watch Hedex et al. I'm sure some people love it, but it's definitely not for me. 

2 hours ago, David_303 said:

I would sooner have root canal surgery than watch Hedex et al. I'm sure some people love it, but it's definitely not for me. 

Funny, I think Hedex is one of the more interesting producers of the last few years. T>I, also. I totally get your standpoint though. It can be lowest common denominator jump-up. He's not the greatest DJ in terms of style but he admits that himself. Well, certainly that his style is different, at least. All about those drops 😀

11 hours ago, stanh said:

Enjoy! This definitely looked like the best night! 

Almost wish I hadn't gotten tickets for Thursday as this was much closer & could have stayed till close. (left 10 mins early to catch the tube)

But did enjoy the intimacy of Camden & as it was the first night, did feel somewhat special. 

Somehow ended up on what I assume was the VIP balcony near the end, as I was next to Caribou, Kilimanjaro & Ahadadream. 😅

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Funny, I think Hedex is one of the more interesting producers of the last few years. T>I, also. I totally get your standpoint though. It can be lowest common denominator jump-up. He's not the greatest DJ in terms of style but he admits that himself. Well, certainly that his style is different, at least. All about those drops 😀

My D&B tastes are super niche! Bit of a geek really haha. 

6 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Junction 2 back at Boston Manor 4th time the charm?

image.thumb.jpeg.dc1375a84f4cfa487488e54122ef3da8.jpeg

That's an unbelievably strong line-up!

BUFO/Helena, Stingray/Objekt - ooft.

And I bet Beyer/Prydz would be a lot of fun too.

I'm not really a daytime dance festival fan, but I'd be sorely tempted.

'Luckily' (so I don't have to be tempted), Mrs Benny and I will be in abroads for our (rather key) wedding anniversary. Don't ask how long...

Ben
x

31 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Junction 2 back at Boston Manor 4th time the charm?

image.thumb.jpeg.dc1375a84f4cfa487488e54122ef3da8.jpeg

This is awesome!

Maybe a bit optimistic but could the Saturday be missing a headliner?

edit: definitely optimistic haha - anyone know rough ticket price?

Edited by gfa