Is it too expensive?

504329lt

I didn't bother trying to get a ticket this year. At £225 for a ticket for everyone over 12 + probably around £90 for a campervan ticket it really is too expensive for families when your kids require tickets.

I know that loads on here think it is worth a lot more and would be willing to pay it but my guess is that there are thousands more that do not come on this forum who cannot afford it.

By contrast, Rock am Ring is £125 a ticket and less than £30 for a campervan pass.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think for what potentially you can see, do, watch and experience, the price is okay, plus the added bonus of giving yourself some time to save up for it helps a lot too.

People take a trip to glastonbury as maybe their holiday for the year. It's a big deal for a lot of people but I also grant you - it's pricey and not everyone can afford it.

No denying it is expensive really for most peoples budgets, especially families!

But relative to what you get compared to other festivals of a similar size in the UK or heck just individual events? I think its outstanding value and I guess thats the yard stick most are comparing it when they say how much they value.

Of course if you can't afford it, that doesn't matter much I guess!

Compared to other UK festivals its very good value.

I went camping in the Lakes a few times over summer and was surprised how expensive it was just to pitch a tent. Up to £25pn a pitch over the August Bank Holiday weekend. My point being, even when doing so called 'budget' activities, it can be costly.

I break it down like this - £225 a ticket for me and the Mrs = £450 + plus camper van ticket, lets round it up to £550. We then have to hire a camper van, say another £700. Plus what we spend while there, we're looking at £1500 all in.

We will go on the Tuesday though, so thats the first day of our adventure, through to the following Monday so 6 days. We're spending therefore £250 per day. I then break it down against all of the acts that we will see, that we would have to pay anywhere between £20 - £100 + to see if they were on tour. If we see 6 - 10 acts on each day Fri, Sat, Sun.

Plus I'm paying for a festival that (to date) I havent seen any knobs, which is worth a premium over other festivals for me.

On this basis I can more than justify the entire cost.

Edited by Big Vern

Is it too expensive? If you don't have enough money, then of course. Is it poor value for money? No.

This absolutely. I hate to say it but I think the OP meant to say "Holidays with children are expensive!"

Yes. But the generally shitty pay conditions in this country are sadly outside Eavis' control

As much as most people (myself included) don't like to think of it this way, Glastonbury is a business and a product of sorts.

If you had a product that you could only sell once a year, it sold out at record speed and you could sell it ten times over then the question you would be asking would be

Is it too cheap?

I break it down like this - £225 a ticket for me and the Mrs = £450 + plus camper van ticket, lets round it up to £550. We then have to hire a camper van, say another £700. Plus what we spend while there, we're looking at £1500 all in.

We will go on the Tuesday though, so thats the first day of our adventure, through to the following Monday so 6 days. We're spending therefore £250 per day. I then break it down against all of the acts that we will see, that we would have to pay anywhere between £20 - £100 + to see if they were on tour. If we see 6 - 10 acts on each day Fri, Sat, Sun.

Plus I'm paying for a festival that (to date) I havent seen any knobs, which is worth a premium over other festivals for me.

On this basis I can more than justify the entire cost.

Check you out billy big nuts.

If done on a budget it can be cheaper than a family holiday in the summer holidays. We took our son and his friend (both under 12) in 2012 and had a fab time. We carefully planned meals to take with us for a week and took plenty of booze. We took two tents and camped from weds to Monday. All expenses under a grand. Well worth it just to see the Rolling Stones. Even if you go go for 3 days you get your money's worth out of seeing just a few bands.

By contrast, Rock am Ring is £125 a ticket and less than £30 for a campervan pass.

Thing is add your plane fare and traveling and it's probably the same price....

If you don't have the money yes it will be expensive but folk have the time to save or if really strapped for cash you can work at the festival..to me it's good value as the fact you can bring your own drink really does reduce the overheads but I appreciate if can be a stretch for some

Edited by shoptildrop

you have to remember as well most festivals are just the fri-sun some even only the sat and sunday, whereas glastonbury has people on site from the wensday so you are getting more for your money