Dreaded 'save the date' wedding invitation for next year.......

gooner1990

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't go they won't be upset - remember it frees up 1 or 2 all important places on the table plan and they'll have someone to talk to about it when they get back. Consider Glasto what it is - a booked holiday (well, fingers crossed in October ;) ) - they sure as fuck won't be missing you on the day, they'll have much bigger fish to fry.

Yeah, maybe, hard for me to say, I only see my best mates a few times a year, so the regularity of meeting doesn't seem a factor. But yeah, of course, down to the individual and how they feel about it. Just a personal preference, I guess.

3 wedding invites over the years, one distance relative, one not close friend, one close friend.

All said no.

With excuse that it's a family holiday we book well in advance and if I don't go my elder Mother get there etc.

My theory is, if you're stupid enough to have your wedding day on Glastonbury weekend you deserve to have the odd empty seat.

Edited by danbailey80

One of my friends who doesn't come to Glastonbury anymore (she became a teacher) got engaged and said the wedding would be summer 2016, I was saying in my head over-and-over "Not Glastonbury weekend, not Glastonbury weekend". Fortunately I think she's planning on July! She'd better not do it in June just because she doesn't go anymore!

One of my friends who doesn't come to Glastonbury anymore (she became a teacher) got engaged and said the wedding would be summer 2016, I was saying in my head over-and-over "Not Glastonbury weekend, not Glastonbury weekend". Fortunately I think she's planning on July! She'd better not do it in June just because she doesn't go anymore!

She won't go for June because she won't be able to have a honeymoon til July.

I think it's a massive honour to be invited to anyone's wedding. They mean so much to the bride and groom and if they want you to be in attendance, I really believe you should make every effort to go, including cancelling previous plans.

I had a ticket for Bestival last weekend, been to everyone since it started in 2004 and love the place to bits, but as soon as I got an invite to an old school mate's wedding I cancelled my plans, flogged my ticket and made sure I was at the wedding.

Been to every Glasto since 1992 too but if there was a wedding invite for Glasto weekend the wedding would always take precedence. Is this really that strange behaviour for a Glasto addict?

Edited by hoils

I really do think it depends on whose wedding it is. There are some people whose wedding I would drop Glastonbury for (even when I found it unmissable).

Mostly, given the price of weddings, if people care enough to invite me, then I'll probably care enough to go.

However, there are that small proportion of people who just like to show off, and they're the kind of people whose weddings are usually unutterably dull anyway.

• 3 months later...

Just been asked to be best man for my cousins wedding. Getting married on July 4th so doesn't affect being at Glastonbury.

He's been living in America for most of the last few years, and is still there at the moment, but he's flying back over here for the wedding at some point over the Glastonbury weekend, and he's gonna need some sort of stag do. He's definitely not the sort of person who would attend a festival, ruling out getting him a ticket in the resales, and thats the only weekend before that he'll be able to have it

Guess he'll have to have one the night before the big day like in the old days.

Can't you have one on the Thursday night instead? I didn't have a stag do before my wedding anyway, but would never have dreamt of going on the lash the night before my marriage. Who would want to feel ill on such a day?

This is the clever sort of thinking I needed to come up with a solution. Thank you people of the internet!!!!

Haha, well it would certainly make it memorable

I recall having to drive from Birmingham to Bristol one Friday afternoon to pick up my brother for a cousin's wedding the following day. The plan was to drive there, pick him up, and drive straight back to Birmingham so we'd be ready for the wedding the following afternoon. It didn't pan out that way. Instead, we decided to go for a drink in Bristol. One drink turned in to many drinks. We then ended up at a house party, which we finally left at about 4am. We eventually hit the road at about noon on the Saturday (yes, I guess I was over the limit - something I wouldn't consider doing nowadays) and drove back to Birmingham for a lightning change of clothing in to suits and straight from there to the wedding where the afore mentioned brother was to say something religious to the assembled wedding crowd from the alter. He got up to the alter, said what he had to say, and then walked off the alter. However, instead of returning to his seat, he walked straight out of the church and went over the road to have the hair of the dog in the pub opposite. I remained trapped in the church for the rest of the ceremony feeling decidedly unwell. I've got to tip my hat to my brother, as that was one smart move.

Honestly I don't think I would go. Anyone who I am close enough with to be bothered about missing their wedding, wouldn't arrange it over the Glastonbury weekend as they'd most likely be there themselves (or understand that I'd be torn over the choice).

Edited by alframsey

A very close family friend now living in Europe told me at the weekend that she was planning her wedding for 27th June. I pointed out that not only me but several other of her friends and family were going to be busy that weekend - current wedding date is now 13th June!

I make sure close family and friends are aware of the Glastonbury dates when weddings are mentioned. My niece was the last family wedding and she checked the dates with us before booking anything.

If other friends get married during Glastonbury, we send our apologies. They have a good weekend without us and we have an amazing weekend at Glastonbury. Sorted.

I missed my sister's second wedding for Glasto a few years ago. I have been to every Glasto since 92 or 93 and the wedding was arranged only a few weeks beforehand and i think she knew it was unlikely we would forego the festival. I did ring her to congratulate them and sent a glasto postmarked wedding postcard ! She was OK about it.

Comically her first wedding was on cup final day when it used to be in May ( way back in the 70's!) all the groom's mates were stood outside the church listening to the match on the radio. :biggrin: