Hip Hop & The Glastonbury Festival

kalifire

Did anybody catch Danny Brown this year?

No was on my way to watch J5 - clashes were AWFUL for me, especially from a hip hop point of view.

Would love for any of The Roots, DOOM, Ozomatli (not strictly hip hop but still), Roots Manuva, Madlib, DJ Shadow (DJ set), Tribe...

Don't think hip hop acts should automatically be assigned to West Holts. But it would be my choice as the pyramid seems to attract people who aren't that passionate about what they are watching, and are just there because it is 'the pyramid'.

I'd love a bit more hiphop. And not sidelined to the West Holts "black people stage" either!

Eminem would be a good booking I think. If only to rile up the "True spirit of Glastonbury" lot.

Yes The Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band, Goldfrapp, Tune Yards, Bonbo, PSB and Jonny Greenwood are all so Black....Along with MIA

Eminem would be a shit booking, mainly because his shit and appeals to people with the mindset of an 11 year old rather than the "true spirit of Glastonbury".

Agree with the first bit more than the latter! Every time a hip hop artist that isn't mainstream is suggested, at least one person will suggest they play the West Holts.

Because in general thats what West Holts is for, less mainstream acts? Unlike Pyramid, Other and JPT that are predominantly mainstream Pop and Rock...

I'd love a bit more hiphop. And not sidelined to the West Holts "black people stage" either!

Eminem would be a good booking I think. If only to rile up the "True spirit of Glastonbury" lot.

Ridiculous. I hope it's only just to get a bite, and not how you really feel.

IMO, West Holts is the best stage there is at Glastonbury, purely due to the fact that the diversity of acts they book is huge.

I've seen some phenomenal acts there over the past fifteen years, and whilst it's still a 'main stage', it has the intimacy that the others just doesn't have.

I absolutely love Hip Hop, and could bore you talking about it all day long, but Eminem would be a horrific booking for so many reasons. I'm not even getting into that.

A good "Hip Hop" booking for the Pyramid would be either Cypress Hill (last played in 2000 on the pyramid, look it up, it was superb. they're still putting on a show) or Ice Cube (has the back catalogue to do it, if a little risky). Eminem would be awful.

Over the last few years, I have seen Wu -Tang Clan, Snoop, De La Soul and Jurassic 5 at Glastonbury, and have missed many more on the smaller stages. If you'd have told me a few years ago that this would be the case I would have laughed at you, they're doing OK when you actually think about it.

West Holts isn't a 'Black People Stage', that's just beyond ignorant.

A good "Hip Hop" booking for the Pyramid would be either Cypress Hill (last played in 2000 on the pyramid, look it up, it was superb. they're still putting on a show) or Ice Cube (has the back catalogue to do it, if a little risky). Eminem would be awful.

Ice Cube would be incredible!

also http://pitchfork.com/news/55982-kendrick-lamar-says-hes-recorded-40-songs-for-new-album-collaborating-with-dr-dre/

Would be foolish not book kendrick for 2015 if his next album is to be released this year

Does that rule out Led zeppelin, that evryone seems to wish for, ever playing then, seen as tho jon bonham is dead

Well Led Zeppelin have played since Jon Bonham died, and as I said above, everything I've read from N.W.A. fans suggests they'll never reform without Eazy-E. It's much easier to replace a drummer than a rapper.

Well Led Zeppelin have played since Jon Bonham died, and as I said above, everything I've read from N.W.A. fans suggests they'll never reform without Eazy-E. It's much easier to replace a drummer than a rapper.

That being said Wu-Tang Clan still tour without ODB and I've seen them on a couple of occasions and they've been brilliant everytime. Although I guess Wu-Tang has far more members than NWA and so ODB's absence is far less noticeable than Eazy-E's would be

That being said Wu-Tang Clan still tour without ODB and I've seen them on a couple of occasions and they've been brilliant everytime. Although I guess Wu-Tang has far more members than NWA and so ODB's absence is far less noticeable than Eazy-E's would be

A good point but even so, there's another factor, which is getting Dr. Dre to actually do something musical which doesn't involve occasional guest spots at Eminem shows, rather than selling his headphones, which these days seems to be about as likely as resurrecting Eazy-E!

I'm sure dre and snoop could headline the other stage together, like at coachella,

I'm sure dre and snoop could headline the pyramid! but yeah would be a great booking

A good point but even so, there's another factor, which is getting Dr. Dre to actually do something musical which doesn't involve occasional guest spots at Eminem shows, rather than selling his headphones, which these days seems to be about as likely as resurrecting Eazy-E!

aye that is an issue

Pyramid 4th down or other sub seems about right. I really feel like his next album is gonna catapult him to a massive size though!

which is why i find him so hard to place. clearly gonna get ridiculously big with his new album so he's a tough one to pin down (although what with Disclosure headlining it this year and their huge size i guess West Holts headliner wouldn't be out of the question, although he'd also fit quite comfortably mid/high on Pyramid and high on Other like you said)